Recommend me an Ibanez

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MoshJosh, Oct 2, 2020.

1. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Not looking to spend a ton, like $300. Looking for used. Would prefer indo made (would prefer japan made but doubtful at this price point haha). Wanting fixed/non floating trem. Prefer super strat S SA RG etc. prefer rounder necks... what are my options/best options. Obviously beggars can’t be choosers so I understand might not find everything on the wish list.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Honestly at that price point you'll be lucky to find anything decent new. Used low-mid tier hardtail RGs pop up in that price range all the time though, like the RG3 line or whatever the newer equivalent is.
    Not many rounder necks in the ibby lineup, especially with their shred centric lineups. You'd have to look at their more vintage lineups for that .

cwhitey2 and MoshJosh like this.
  3. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Yeah should have specified only looking for used.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Used s770?

Maybe save 200 more and get a used prestige?

TheInvisibleHand and MoshJosh like this.
  5. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

$500 prestige dont exist. This is a myth on this forum. A used prestige is going to run you around 800-900 for something decent.

mbardu likes this.
  6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

looks at all my prestiges that I literally paid 500 dollars for.

alright bro. you the boss.

SandyRavage, Samark and ikarus like this.
  7. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Same here. My cheapest was 350€...

SandyRavage likes this.
  8. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

A used Premium perhaps? Sounds like a shocking suggestion here but I'm sure there's a load of used Premium hardtail RGs out there, or an Iron Label if you have no luck to find one.

9. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I’ve been slutting it up hard with gear for about the last 4-5 years, and $500 prestige models worth purchasing certainly do appear, but not with enough frequency for an at-will purchase. You have to have some patience and check marketplaces frequently. Just my experience. Not saying anyone else’s experience is wrong.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  10. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Even still, at $300 that'll be a tough find. If you can come up to $400 maybe, I've seen first generation Premiums pop up at that pricepoint a few times.
    A standard series with a neck profile you know you like is probably going to be the way to go, because Iron Labels are still going to be dicey around there.

11. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

One of the older Iron Label S series (I think it was SIR70FD) would be a decent guitar and *may* be able to be found used within your budget if you look hard enough, definitely a rounder neck

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I wouldn't say it's a myth, but it is a lot harder to run into than even five or ten years ago.

You really just need to know what you're looking at, where to look, and have cash on hand.

They pop up on GC Used and MGR with some regularity still.

Robotechnology and mlp187 like this.
  13. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

A used prestige might be hard as the name alone carries significance. However you can find used Japanese ibbies for around that price. I bought a used rg7620 for $300. Needs some patience and luck.

btw i will recommend old Japanese Jackson’s. The necks are crazy thin and they play fantastic. Honestly they usually are in better condition than ibanezs from the same era. Worth a look.

decoy205 and Robotechnology like this.
  14. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

Agree that it takes some luck to find a used Prestige at that price point, but not impossible. My S1520FB has been my favorite guitar of all time for 6 years now. I paid $400 for it. It's beat to shit, but still an amazing player. If you can't find a good Prestige, you can absolutely find old MIJ models in your price range.

15. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Old GC only models like the RG2EX1

16. kuma

kuma SS.org Regular

You can sometimes find lesser known models like the SC series priced that low. Bit of an oddball with the 25.1" scale and wraparound bridge, but solid guitars, and MIJ.

17. 7stringtheory

7stringtheory SS.org Regular

Have you considered looking at agile guitars? Maybe people will tell me I'm wrong, but in my general experience (although ive never owned an ibanez) for guitars in this price range, its hard to beat the value you get for the price of an agile.

MoshJosh and mlp187 like this.
  18. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

An RG320FM from 2006 & 2007. They're extremely well made and I remember ready an article in Guitar World that Isahn would only play those models back when he was an Ibanez artist.

I bought mine in 2006 and it's still my favorite guitar even though I now own 8 guitars ranging from $400 to $2700.

19. Shredrrr

Shredrrr SS.org Regular

It's not quite a super strat but I'm shocked no one recommended the Ibanez SZ line. It's got a 25.1 scale, rounder necks, and fixed bridge. Some of the older models have really good seymour duncan designed pickups as well. There are quite a few on reverb right in your price range of $300. Not Japanese made but still really solid quality/value. I've never met someone that has anything bad to say about these models.

20. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Find a made in Japan Ibanez from the 90's.
    Ibanez didn't start labeling most of the MIJ guitars as Prestige until 2003.

The japan guitars from before 2003 are just as high quality (arguably even better) than the prestiges, but often times go for less.

Of course older guitars might suffer from worn frets, trem knife edges etc, so the older the guitar, the more you have to check the condition, or figure in replacement parts in the cost.
    But you can make some killer deals if you find the right guitar. Three of my old Ibanez guitars were sub 500USD, and only have few cosmetic dings, but are otherwise in great shape.