Recommend me an amp for metal.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by SexHaver420, Apr 24, 2019.

1. SexHaver420

SexHaver420 SS.org Regular

Im looking for a amp for death and black metal type stuff. My criteria are that it's at least 100 watts, isn't a 5150 or 6505 (i don't really like how these sound), doesn't use 6l6 tubes, is brutally loud (at least as loud as a dimed 70s Ampeg V4), and is under $1500. My other amps are Matamps or Ampeg V4s and they're incredible but they're not tight enough for this kind of metal.

I was considering the Framus Cobra with kt88s or maybe a Mesa tremoverb or a triple rec. If i get a Mesa im gonna pull the rectifier tubes and put el34s in it.

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

No suggestions, I just wanted to say I think your screen name is the best thing I've seen on these forums.

b0nkersx, Wolfhorsky, vilk and 12 others like this.
  3. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Given the rather wide parameters laid out...

Bogner Twin Jet or Uberschall
    Marshall 2203 (JMP or JCM800, doesn't matter)
    Splawn Nitro or Quick Rod
    Peters FSM or Bodyhammer
    Driftwood Purple Nightmare
    Laney Ironheart (comes with 6L6s stock but has a switch on the back to change it to EL34s)

Given the number of totally different sounding options, you probably need to figure out what you want in more detail.

4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

VHT Deliverance 120. Should be able to be had for $1,000 or less. I think that fits in with the style of your other amps while doing what you want. If I had to pick an amp for death metal though I'd probably go with a Pittbull 100 cl over the Deliverance

If you need a separate clean, a Mesa Tremoverb with EL34s and a boost, definitely under $1,000. I'm not sure how much headroom you have on the cleans at high volume with 34s though.

jc986 likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Another vote here for the Überschall Twin Jet :metal: I love mine to death; it's the absolute angriest amp I've ever owned or heard. The Rev 2 Überschall would likely work for you too if you need a clean channel.

I've never tried a Deliverance, but the Green channel of my Pittbull 50/CL is supposed to be pretty similar. Not my first choice for death/black metal, but the Red channel is great for that. $1500 would easily get you a Deliverance 60/120 or CL 50/100

You're definitely on the right track to death metal with the Tremoverb or any other Dual or Triple Rectifier, though I would also look into a boost like a Maxon OD-808 or MXR M-77 to tighten it up. I would also give it a shot with 6l6 power tubes before you trade them out for 34's :2c:

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Peavey 6534+. (Hey, it’s not a 6505, and it’s got El34s :D)

Btw, what don’t you like about 5150s/6505? I find that they slay for death and black metal if you tune them right.

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Fuzzrocious demon into a 2203.

USMarine75 and WarMachine like this.
  8. SexHaver420

No matter how many times I play or hear other people play one they always sound kind of fizzy to me. There's just something about them that my ears don't like. I want to like them because they're good for metal and relatively cheap but they're just not for me.

9. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

VHT/Fryette Deliverance 120. It can easily do death/black metal with a boost and is extremely tight with really no fizz whatsoever.

10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Any clean amp and an HM2

11. SexHaver420

I have three HM-2s and they sound better into dirty amps my guy. Peavey Bandit is the ideal HM-2 amp.

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  12. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Peavey Ultras and XXX are great at that fast stuff. All that massive bottom end is trimmed off from the factory and it's the only amp I've ran un-boosted aside from the red channel of an EVH 50w.

viifox and Beheroth like this.
  13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

3120 is a XXX with el34s and is often very cheap.

Beheroth likes this.
  14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Most people aren't me. I use an EQ in the loop and cut that fizz @ 16khz. Balls, grind, and face-melting brutality for DAAAAAYS after that...:mf666:

Have a listen: Seymour Duncan Black Winter bridge > 6505 > MXR 10-band in the loop (HM-2 turned on at :48; you'll know): https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/ur-avgrunden-han-stiger-mix-2

15. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Almost every amp I've own/have owned(Which is many) has/had fizz. EQ in the loop, suck it out (as this fellow big skyer suggests ;)) and whamo! Even the MW dual recto I have has zero fizz dialed this way; just pure grind. Just have to know how to eq and use an eq ;)

jc986 and KailM like this.
  16. Kornfann1024

Kornfann1024 SS.org Regular

I just discovered the driftwood purple nightmare....i might have to sell a kidney....

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  17. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I’m gonna be the guy to say Randall Thrasher, Satan, or RD100. In my experience anything Mike Fortin touches won’t have an ounce of fizz. A Triple Rectifier is also a great option and those things are loud as piss. I will also say that the Peavey XXX I had was one of the most bone crushing amps I’ve tried and I payed $375 for it.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  18. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

6l6 a side, EVH 5150iii. Or the el34 version, but it is inferior, IMO. The original 100w is a magical amp. Crazy heavy and everything else.

19. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and go against your wishes, and tell you 6505/+ with an EQ, just like KailM said. Seriously, do it.

20. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

In that price point, it's hard to recommend anything that isn't a 6505 or a 5150 and keeps to 100w.. Though you could look into these...

Marshal DSL
    Engator Armageddon
    Used Mesa Dual Recto
    Blackstar S1 200w (slightly above your budget, so you could look for a used 100w version)