Recommend me a set of non-metal PU's.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Nightcrawler, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler thrashin`til`death

They'll be replacing the EMG's in my ESP Eclipse II (mahogany body/neck, rosewood fb).
    I'm looking for more of a thick rock tone than EMG can offer, as I play stuff in the vein of Neurosis, Yob, Cult of Luna, etc. Coil split would be sweet but not necessary.
    My amp is Soldano Avenger.

Thanks errybody.

2. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

Seymour Duncan Custom and '59.
    EDIT:
    I've been looking at Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs for lower output pickups, and they seem to really fit the bill for that kind of thing.

3. Nightcrawler

4. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I would recommend the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon (George Lynch signature pickup) as a bridge, and a SD '59 as neck.

The Screamin' Demon is a mid output pickup, very good lead p-up, but it works very well for rythms also. The '59 is a classic P.A.F, fat tones, mid output. Both are of course split-able, if you pick the four conductor version of the '59.

In my opinion BKP:s are not worth the upcharge.

5. Solstafir

Solstafir SS.org Regular

JB/59 - Custom/59 would be great choices

6. Nightcrawler

After looking through the "SD appreciation" thread, I'm intrigued by a Custom5/Jazz combo. Does anyone run that one?

7. Nightcrawler

Bump ov doom, any Custom5b/JazzN users here?

8. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

My suggestion :
    Replace the bridge with an 85. That way you have far less stuff to think about it, and it will be cheaper to boot than buying a whole new set.

A LOT of the 'guitar' tone in metal in general is in the bass guitar.
    When it comes to alternative metal and post metal, metal genres with slower tempos that have more space for fatter sounds without muddying out as quickly as you would playing technical fast stuff, you can really afford to beef up the bass sound.

That's what will make the EMG 85 option so good, is that it's not TOO big sounding and still leaves space for the bass, yet it's definitely thicker and fuller than an 81.
    Mahogany body and 85, that's a killer combination right there and should be just about the perfect balance between thickness and clarity that you'd want.

9. DraggAmps

DraggAmps SS.org Regular

Dimarzio 36th Anniversary! PAF's are my favorite humbuckers for blues and rock because they sound amazing for every style, including metal. Very, very versatile and sweet sounding pickups and the 36th are a great affordable replica. I've owned some of the super expensive boutique ones and they hold their own. I also prefer them to the much more expensive Duncan Antiquities and they're potted so they don't get noisy like the Ants. PAF style pickups (good ones, anyway) are so cool because they sound chunky and crunchy for rhythms and they have sustain, but they also have an almost single coily clean and low gain lead sound. The more gain you add, the more they get crunchy and sound really good for high gain stuff. Easily the most versatile pickups.

10. Nightcrawler

@Harry
    Right now I am running 85b/60n combo and like, but it doesn't give me as much dynamics and smoothness and I want, as I'm using a single channel amp and volume knob/boosts to manipulate my tone. It does sound real nice full juiced, just not when the volume knob goes down, the tone is not so desirable.

Thanks dudes!

11. book_of_lies777

book_of_lies777 SS.org Regular

yeah, actives aren't the right choice for doom/stoner type stuff(that's what I play most of the time *see sig link* feel free to buy a CD or t-shirt, I could use the money. LOL). You want more of an 'old school' type tone... the DiMarzio Super Distortion is the first thing that pops into my mind. Scott 'Wino' Weinrich swears by them, and he pretty much wrote the book. ;0)

If you're more partial to Seymour Duncan, the SH-1 '59 is tits.

12. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

WCR Guitar Pickups
    The upcharge IS worth it with these.

Gibson 490s may work well too.

13. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

DiMarzio
    Super Distortion + Humbucker from Hell (killer in my VBT700)
    Crunch Lab + Liquifire (liquifire is excellent for creamy cleans/leads)

Duncans
    JB + '59 (Good traditional metal tone, sound sweet in my DV8R, Also had a vintage burst EC1000 Deluxe with them and it was a pure rock/metal machine)

I'm a BKP Convert now though. LOVE my Aftermaths !! Also try an Aftermath & Liquifire combo.

Just my 2 cents