Recommend an overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DarkNe0, Aug 23, 2016.

1. DarkNe0

DarkNe0 SS.org Regular

And no, not to boost the front end of a high-gain channel on my amp.

I need an overdrive pedal that would mix well with my 5150 III's clean channel and produce a very warm, overdriven sound for prog-rockish lead playing.

I've tried the SD OD805 as well as the Maxons and Ibanez(es?)

I've also looked at the ProCo RAT but don't really know what to think of it.

I usually like to keep things simple with as few knobs as possible but I wouldn't mind a complex pedal if the controls are justified and easy to use.

I'd like to stay away from pedals that would make my tone "spanky" and overly bright - what I'm looking for is a warm, thick and rich sound.

Thanks!

2. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Green Rhino. It'll overdrive, warm up, and fatten up your tone without making it spanky. It has more than enough power and drive on tap and the added versatility of the mid curve and 100hz boost or cut knobs really help you fine tune the tone even further.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Wampler Euphoria?

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I used an EHX Soul Food in front of my 5153 for a similar style and it works really well. Definitely a nice change of pace from the regular "green" style overdrives.

5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I've got a RAT but I don't like it for a stand-alone overdrive. I really like the EHX Soul Food, the TC Mojo-Mojo, and the Ibanez TS9... TS808 is awesome also from what everyone says but I've never actually tried one. I often pair the Mojo-Mojo OD with a Blues Driver and they sound fantastic together. I also pair it with a MXR Fullbore for absolutely sick crunch.

6. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

The JHS Andy Timmons @ is currently my favorite drive pedal into the 5150 III clean channel. The Klon is a close second.

7. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I just regrettably sold the Earth Quaker Devices Palisades last week due to some unexpected bills...

Till date its the best overdrive I have ever tried (having tried 808, 805, green rhino, savage drive, plus couple more)

It features 6 styles of ODs plus 5 bandwidth settings, so it really covers any ground you could think of (boost, 808, fuzz, etc). Has 3 switches: on/off , gain B, and Boost. A little costly ($250) new but try grabbing it used as I did. It can do anything and EQD make quality products! Please notice this is a very fast description haha check them out for better details

Might seem overwhelming at first due to all the knob/switches but its worth it :)

8. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

An OCD will do a good job of what you're wanting.

9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

OCD, green rhino, plimsoul, anything 808 based really.

10. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Crunchbox does this well from what I've heard. I have an Eno clone of one if you're interested. They work as dark dirt and the level can get pretty explosive or tamed.

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The any of the Klone copies. They're all warm low ODs that can thicken your tone when tweaked right.

Either Wampler Terminus, J Rockett Archer, EHX Soul Food (either stock or JHS modded) Klon KTR or Free The Tone Red Jasper or SOV will do the job (Archer and Jasper being my personal choices).

For a bit more dirt if the Klones don't have enough for your tastes, go the Fulltone OCD, Free The Tone Gigs Boson, Xotic BB or AC or even a Boss Blues Drive.

12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Maybe the new Walrus Audio 385 Overdrive is for you. Its fits the "warm, thick, rich" criteria while also being very responsive to dynamics and pick attack. All the demos i've heard are bluesy but, I see it working for your application.

Just my opinion from watching and listening to demos though. No hands on experience

13. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

No one has mentioned SUHR pedals yet. I'm just gonna throw in a plug for them and say they're as awesome as their guitars. The Reloaded versions have more gain, anywhere up to 50% more. You have 3 options for drive pedals:

Shiba Drive: Fat, warm, vintage tube drive sound. Gets into low distortion range. They describe it as violin-like.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6F11uqtEpc

Riot: (my favorite!) thick and hot. Goes from warm drive, way off into 90's style distortion and it's the fattest I've heard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWkLMrtkSiU

Koko Boost: More subtle, goes from a clean boost to dirty. Works great with any tube amp. Has a mid boost dial that really pushes the amp where it counts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65p9PGrwhTM

The Shiba is probably along the lines you're thinking. If it ain't enough, go RIOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu5pxeHXmOM

14. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

You might check out the Boss OD-3 too, it never gets mentioned much but it's a great pedal. Totally different from the SD-1 or the DS-1.

15. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

If you see one for sale used, the Danelectro Daddy-O is a KILLER od pedal. 3 band EQ that allows your tone to not be sucked out the way that all TS typle pedals suck your tone.

The DOD 250 (or the YJM308 on the used market) is a great boost for cheap too. Just 2 knobs, gain and level.

The Mojomojo is a great OD as well.

I tend to just push any of my amps' (yes plural possessive) w my 308.

Derek

16. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

The Daddy-O is a clone of the original Marshall Guv'nor pedal, I love that pedal!

17. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Anasounds Savage or Cerberus...

A J Rocket Archer?

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

if you want a dirt cheap option the joyo tai chi is pretty nice.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

if you want warmth and its to mix with a amp clean tone, I would get a valve pedal of some sort personally. You honestly cant beat that combo for lead work.

Blackstar do some cool valve pedals and I just picked up a Laney Valve preamp pedal and thats absolutely amazing. Things like the Od808 are going to be too aggressive I would have thought.

20. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I have the blackstar Dist be pedal but also a catalinbread DLS iii, i like them both but for subtlety and warmth the DLS edges it out.
    The blackstar however (depending on how you eq it, i boost a bunch of lowend in the loop with Pod hd eq's) does full on heavy marshall high-gain a'la motorhead (no surprise, seeing as it was used on the last decade or so albums).