Recommand a sport for a fellow (nerd) guitarist

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Exchanger, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I literally don’t get your concern?

what’s the “wrong crowd” for soccer? Loud fun people?

And are you afraid you might catch some hippy beliefs during a 1 hour fight against your body’s muscles as you try to hold a basic warrior pose for a full 2 minutes? You know you’re allowed to turn down the wheat grass shots. You won’t be pressured into it.

IDK dude sounds like a bunch of excuses you made up to not try new things. Go and see if you like something. No one says you have to pay for a month up front.

Or look up other local basketball rec leagues?

2. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

I'm the wrong crowd because I just don't know a single thing about football while most people do, or have a favorite team or played it in their childhood... again I didn't rule it out, it's just that I imagine I would mostly be a burden, as opposed to starting a sport where everyone new is also a noob.

I know you don't have to take that crap from others, but it's just annoying if you have to endure it all the time. My parents changed Tai Chi clubs a couple of times because of these kind of people.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

For most of my "career" as a cyclist I didn't have a favorite pro rider or couldn't tell you at gunpoint the name of more than one or two pro teams. Really, it's only the last two years I've started paying attention to this stuff. That didn't stop me from being faster than most of the people I routinely ride with - honestly I've always thought the attention pro teams get in amateur sports is kind of weird, you can play baseball without a jersey or hat with a pro team logo on it, and I like that in cycling wearing a pro team's jersey is considered sort of in bad taste unless you're a former or current member of that team.

tl;dr - don't worry about how much you know about the professional leagues. Worry about knowing the rules, your ball handling, and your cardio health and how it all impacts your ability to make positive contributions on the field.

4. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Bicycling is cool op.
    You can even take your bicycle via train to beautiful places near you and ride it.

5. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Motocross

6. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

Show up with the most evil looking metal shirt at the Tai Chi class, they will avoid talking to you at all. Tried it at my gym, no one showed up to say "Hey, can I work in with you. I will only change the weight and re-arrange everything"...

odibrom likes this.
  7. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

Tennis or even table tennis is very fun. However you can't really do it alone and it's no fun doing it alone.

If you need a sport that you can do alone. Swimming is very good, will build physique and the risk for injuries are almost zero.

8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Standup paddling - keeps you fit and is just a great outdoor activity for the whole year (as long as you're not located in Alaska). Side-sport for rainy days: Squash.

9. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

He's in Europe

They're hardcore rabid about their footie. Which also tends to attract what passes for a rough, rowdy crowd in Europe

European "soccer" fans are more akin to American MMA fans or something

Exchanger likes this.
  10. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

This guy knows what’s up.

[​IMG]

11. NotDonVito

NotDonVito ouch!

I started downhill skateboarding recently. I don't have a proper board to do it yet(regular skateboard wheels get stuck on debris easily), but it's a huge adrenaline rush, and you can work on it by yourself. The only problem is finding a low traffic hill to practice on.

You might get bored of it because beyond practicing, there's nothing else to do.

12. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Golf.

/Thread

13. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Too time consuming, expensive, and frustrating.

Exchanger likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I swear this thread is just someone suggesting something and then somebody else chiming in with excuses. Its like everyone is afraid of being bad at something for a while until they get better. Or “I’m too metal for Synchronized Skipping”. Pffft.

15. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Mini golf.

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Too small.

Lemonbaby likes this.
  17. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Bro... you play guitar :lol:

They are literally the same thing!

18. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Who said I played guitar?!

budda and cwhitey2 like this.
  19. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

There is a tennis club nearby, I'll take a look.
    Swimming is almost perfect except for the "keeping it fun" factor. I can swim a kilometer if I want to but I get bored to death after 200m.

Where I live is literally flat, the nearest hill is like 2h driving away :p

That's your interpretation. Maybe I already weighed a lot of options myself and couldn't really find a good match, so I'm asking around to see if there's something I completely overlooked. I don't think I'm "too metal" for anything, but there's just certain crowds that don't appeal to me. Yes, I'm very picky about sports and people who do them because for most of my childhood, I've had very bad experiences with them. Also I think my requirements were pretty clear : low risk of injury, stimulating for the mind (exit running, cycling, swimming, lifting stuff at the gym), and minimum hassle (preferably not outdoors as between October and May the weather is just Rainy Russian Roulette). Again, maybe the perfect match doesn't exist, but I thought, hey maybe some other people who are also music nerds and for whom sports can't be a high time and money investment (because there's already music) already figured it out.

20. odibrom

odibrom .

[/QUOTE] (...) Where I live is literally flat, the nearest hill is like 2h driving away :p [/QUOTE]

... the Netherlands... no downhills to look at...

[/QUOTE]That's your interpretation. Maybe I already weighed a lot of options myself and couldn't really find a good match, so I'm asking around to see if there's something I completely overlooked. I don't think I'm "too metal" for anything, but there's just certain crowds that don't appeal to me. Yes, I'm very picky about sports and people who do them because for most of my childhood, I've had very bad experiences with them. Also I think my requirements were pretty clear : low risk of injury, stimulating for the mind (exit running, cycling, swimming, lifting stuff at the gym), and minimum hassle (preferably not outdoors as between October and May the weather is just Rainy Russian Roulette). Again, maybe the perfect match doesn't exist, but I thought, hey maybe some other people who are also music nerds and for whom sports can't be a high time and money investment (because there's already music) already figured it out.[/QUOTE]

I will have to insist on Yoga, Chi Kung and internal martial arts. Hey, if you don't gel with the first teacher/class, keep on looking, I'm sure there are good schools up there. As for yoga, my suggestion goes to the Iyengar style schools of yoga. One will work the most forgotten muscle in the body (the brain?), that's granted. As for ChiKung and internal martial arts, guess it will be a trial and error kind of situation.