Reasonable cost for PIckup repair

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Looking for a place to send my pickup to for a very reasonable priced repair.

Looking for suggestions, already looked at the top 10 or so google results, Fralin was certainly one of the first and it's looking like after shipping, repair and tax it's well over $100.

It's for a Peavey T-40 bass. There are no used p/u's online except 1 or 2 that were $160 each roughly so the repair seems the best option and looking for anyone that has gone through someone with reasonable pricing.

The issue is very very very low output. It's confirmed through the tech to be the pickup, not the bass.

Thanks!

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Buy a used T-40 from Guitar Center. Swap pickups. Return bass to Guitar Center and say, "This bass has very very very low output and simply will not work for me."

I have done this except it was a Weller soldering station from Amazon. I bought an identical, slightly used one on Craigslist for half the price, kept the new one, and sent the CL one back to Amazon for a full refund.

Thank you Jeff Bezos

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
I have done this except it was a Weller soldering station from Amazon. I bought an identical, slightly used one on Craigslist for half the price, kept the new one, and sent the CL one back to Amazon for a full refund.

Thank you Jeff Bezos
I used to do something similar with printers and self cleaning litter boxes 10 years ago. I'd buy em, they'd inevitably break. I'd buy another and return the broken one pretending it was the new one. Fuck you best buy lmao

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The pickups are a custom size, not standard. I’m sure there’s something out there however for my own interest I’m more interested in keeping it stock. The bass is in great shape, the wiring has never been touched, no solder work. I’d be happier with the pickup getting fixed at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately fralin got back with me this morning to say they don’t even work on this p/u due to difficulty of disassembly resulting in damage.

I’ll either get it fixed or leave it as is and only use the bridge p/u.

Per a suggestion, the pickup may only need a recharge so im hoping for that.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
(...)

Per a suggestion, the pickup may only need a recharge so im hoping for that.

Recharge as a magnet swap?

Very very very low output can be lots of things, and most likely a short somewhere. Did that happen from night to day or...? My bet is that the problem really relies somewhere else. Experiment on taking the bass to another tech and say nothing about the first one's opinion.

Is this your bass and pickup?
p2_uw5u34gwy_so.jpg

The pickup should be about the size of a 6 string guitar humbucker with rail coils. Shouldn't be very hard to disassemble... unless it is filled with resin, that is. In that case, the issue might be on its output wires, which is an easy repair...

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s the bass!

I got the bass in this condition about a month ago but didn’t know the issue was there until I got it home.

I’m not sure how to recharge the pickup, just was told to consider that.

The pickup has epoxy from what fralin told me.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
That’s the bass!

I got the bass in this condition about a month ago but didn’t know the issue was there until I got it home.

I’m not sure how to recharge the pickup, just was told to consider that.

The pickup has epoxy from what fralin told me.
An epoxy'ed pickup will hardly need a rewind. That's one of the reasons to use epoxy, it will keep the wires in place tight and sound.

You'll either have broken lead wires, a short somewhere, bad pots terrible wiring job...

Did the tech open the cavity in front of you? How did he examined the bass? What tests did he make?

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
It's much more likely to be a bad pot or something.
Try bypassing the whole circuit by just wiring the pickups directly to the output jack. That will tell you the true story.