Reaper sucks. Can it be made to not suck?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Randy, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Amer Alameddine

Amer Alameddine SS.org Regular

BMFan30 and Randy like this.
  2. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

Day one of using Reaper as if it were the last DAW on Earth.

Right off the bat, why the fuck do I need to go into template modifications to get a goddamn panning knob on my track?

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

If you make the fader longer more stuff like the pan knob will appear. Took me a while to figure that out. You can set it up like a mixer with one click to bring up plugins too. Pretty neat. I'm on an older version ow though. 5 or 6 I think.

4. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

You see those thin grayish bars above the fader? You can resize stuff by dragging them. Reaper will just try to show/hide stuff automatically to fit the screen.

Btw, holding Ctrl and then resizing will resize all the tracks simultaneously, hugely useful.

There's a pretty powerful and useful feature - screensets. Go to View -> Screensets/Layouts. Look into Windows and Track Views. Window layouts will save/restore window configurations, so for instance you can save a configuration where your docker window (where the mixer is) is like 2/3 of the screen, and one where it takes up 1/3 of the screen. Track Views can save/restore how tracks in the mixer look, so you can cook up some kind of configuration that you like, save it, and then restore it at will.

Of course, all of those save/restore actions exist in the action list, so you can remap them to any hotkey that you like, and you can create a custom toolbar and put these actions there as buttons. You can also string together several actions, so maybe you want to load both Windows layout 1 and Track view 3.

Also, with regards to toolbars, if you hold Ctrl it will allow you to place toolbars inside of the bottom docker. Basically, if you can't get your toolbar positioned right, try holding Ctrl.

5. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

Workflow is kinda intuitive, once you get into that and you'll crate your own shortcuts or macros/scripts, your relationship with DAWs will start to reverse.

searching through actions list will help you get rid of lot of head aches, either you find a shortcut, or you can create/assign your own. There are also lot's of great tutorials (lot's of them too long, like who needs to watch 10min long video to learn about 2 shortcuts).

main difference with other daws - folder tracks, and that is IMO one of the greatest things about reaper and makes routing much more faster. Once you create a folder track, it automatically becomes your bus for tracks you put in that folder track, without any need to adjust routing. you can have any folder tracks nested in and each will send signal to it's parent track - very useful for drums - where you can "group" mics for certain kit pieces under each dedicated folder track for kick, snare, toms, cymbals, room mics, balance them out under their respective folders and then just work with couple of faders, and have these under drums folder track, which is under instrument folder...

editing is faster, too, but I guess that's the same for every DAW once you learn shortcuts. Friend of mine started to use Reaper for editing videos because of how fast it is for simple edits compared to clunky workflow in Adobe Premiere

custom layouts are another strong point, you can go crazy about them, or display only bare minimum you need and position them where you need them.

not saying it's the best DAW for use or to look at, it's best for it's value for money, but certain things work better in Reaper and competition, that produce big boys DAWs, could certainly take some inspiration from it.

in the end it's all about a workflow and time - if you're happy with other stuff and you need to work and don't have time to learn new ways of doing it and readjusting your workflow, then Reaper is just probably not for you.

but to be honest, Reaper worked for me right out of the box, with that said I don't do any big projects for other clients and I wasn't on other DAWs for XY years so I didn't have to readjust my workflow

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  6. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I just found him and been watching several of his videos. I like his content a lot so far.
    What are toolbars and how can you build them? I just started Reaper today.
    That's what it looks like to me now. I don't know how I mess up simple tasks like zooming and dragging midi clips but I'm assuming I need to watch a track editing tutorial to get to grips with how to navigate my arrangement window.
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks for stating it this way. Makes me a bit more calm about my future time with Reaper.
    I tried to search WhiteTie on the Reaper resource page but got no hits. Could you please link that skin?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    c7spheres likes this.
  7. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

BMFan30 likes this.
  8. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the link! I actually found it later on after making that post when I decided to search it on google instead of the Reaper resource page where I originally looked for it since I assumed all the reaper tools were on there then learned some aren't.

9. DoctorStoner

DoctorStoner θάλλ

I've been using Reaper for 14 years. It's hard and technical and I still learn something new on it every few weeks but it just works so well.

Crungy, BMFan30 and Randy like this.
  10. profwoot

profwoot SS.org Regular

This thread has been therapeutic for me. I got into recording just over lockdown and chose reaper as my first daw without knowing much beforehand. I figured that if i got really into music production I'd switch to something better, which is now pretty much the opposite of my current attitude. It seems like anything you can do in the most expensive daws you can do in Reaper, but Reaper is probably relatively frustrating as a first daw due to option overload and its inconvenient defaults and general lack of concern about being intuitive for a new user. I'd probably have a lot more actual music produced if I'd started with a daw that holds your hand at all.

That being said, I imagine I've learned more about the nuts and bolts of how a daw works and audio production in general than I would have, and now that I've started building up preferences for how things should be, I have pretty broad control over things. So Reaper seems to me like it'd be the perfect daw for serious producers... given the requisite experience with it and accompanying level of comfort with the interface. And therein lies the rub.

I'd encourage people to switch to Reaper if they plan to be serious about it and are patient enough to invest the time, but the fact is that most people won't and I wonder if the folk at Reaper will ever try to come up with a more intuitive default interface.

Randy likes this.
  11. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Everyone that says they dont like Reaper hasn't used it long enough/ dosnt know the tricks and/or the hot keys.

Crungy likes this.
  12. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I find this with every piece of professional software.

"Pro Tools sucks"... no... you just suck at it...

As to the original question. If you liked Logic, Studio One is your best bet. Reaper is great and is super-duper excellent value, but if value isn't your primary concern....

GunpointMetal and cwhitey2 like this.
  13. Empryrean

Empryrean Constantly Gassing

AH!! I used to use a bootleg cubase and made the jump to reaper a little while back but had the same issue with the lack of intuitive UI (at the time)
    I've since used a cubase-ish theme and slowly unlearned cubase while I looked up tutorials. I still have it in the cubase theme but I can definitely switch to default more easily now that I've tinkered with it a bit. I think the major thing that kept me from properly learning Reaper (to some extent, there's so muchyou can do) was the fact that all the options laid out to you aren't necessarily easy to use until you've started using them or needing them for something. I particularly like the custom actions you can set

as far as drum programming-- (did you mention that? I can't remember)
    remapping the left click and right click funcitons to single instead of double click made a huge difference for me coming from the cubase mapper vs reaper's default. Hope this helps, randy!

Crungy and Randy like this.
  14. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I probably do suck at it, but I can't find out because it won't stay open long enough to load in a full song's worth of tracks.

15. Leaviathan

Leaviathan SS.org Regular

I love Reaper, and the price is right! Go with Pro Tools and see how much you like the upgrade fees.

Crungy likes this.
  16. hazimwood

hazimwood Old Яomans

The learning curve is worth the price....or you can pay for the computer to hold your hand a little bit. Watch the tutorials and you will be speeding along after only a handful of short videos; then come back to tackle small obstacles that will then never be obstacles again. Once you setup your templates for each of your instruments, it really flies, just right click and BAM. Automation is incredibly fast and robust. Midi device management is a breeze. Midi matrix is a bit clunky at first, again, it's all about the initial setup. The midi and audio routing, sidechaining, is all pretty fast. The built-in plugins look like shit but work fantastically, I use Waves suite most of the time but a quick Reaper plugin (especially EQ , Reverb or Sampler) is all you need.

Crungy and Randy like this.
  17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I feel like I have that same kind of overwhelmed/lost experience when trying to use anything other than Reaper, just 'cause I'm so used to the workflow - and I'm arguably someone who doesn't use many of the deeper features on offer. Any time you jump to something that "does the same thing" with an entirely different workflow, it's obviously going to lead to some frustrating "why can't I just do the simple thing I already know how to do" moments until you've worked out where and why everything is.

c7spheres likes this.
  18. Randy

I've been using Reaper since I made this thread, I still think some of the workflow is pants-on-the-head stupid out of the box but I can actually get some finished recordings out of it, so huzzah.

TedEH and Winspear like this.
  19. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Lmao reaper sucks? Sounds like someone just doesn't know how to use it ...

20. Randy

Idgaf, I'm doubling down on it.

I've been recording digitally since 2000, and Reaper is the least intuitive software I've used over that entire period of time, full stop. I have been cleaning out some of my old backups and found Reaper projects from 13 years ago. You'd think coming back to it several times over 13 years that it would be the easiest to use (certainly from sheer volume of hours spent with it) but no, it still sucks.

There's too many things that it should do by default that it doesnt, and too many things it should NOT do by default but does anyway. You absolutely can tweak it into infinity but I don't consider that a perk, that's basically having to hack it to make it useable. If it wasn't $50 or the most accessible option for anyone using PC, a lot less people would choose it. I'd take any major DAW over Reaper but I don't record enough to justify either buying a new Cubase license or buying a new MAC to claim my Logic license (on top of the fact I'm locked into PC for my production work).

Anyway, that preface out of the way, like I said above, I've been making it work with my workflow enough to at least get some recording done lately. I haven't been doing much with project templates because 99% of the recordings I'm doing are just tracking ideas but I have been using track templates and that's a time saver.

Current hurdle is that I LOATHE the MIDI programmer for drums. I have an e-kit that I do a lot of my writing on, but the double triggering is nasty. I ran an anti-flam filter that makes it at least usable for demos/scratch/writing but that just effects the audio output, the MIDI notes are still there so it's not easy to move them around.

I previously went through this years back and I believe I set up a track to record the MIDI from the drums, ran the anti-flam on it, then output it to a second track that saved the MIDI input without the flams. I forget how I did that and it was three computers ago, so that template is long gone.

I recorded a few times using the MIDI typing for drums, usually kick and snare in a pass and hi-hats and cymbals on another. That works pretty good for at least core writing stuff, but not ideal.