Reaper or Cubase Elements?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by 777, Nov 18, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

*kicks open door, panting and looking haggard* FL STUDIO!!!!

2. drgamble

drgamble SS.org Regular

I'm a long time Cubendo user here. I started with Cubase Elements, I think it came with the interface that I bought at the time. A friend of mine was already using Cubasea at the time and one of the studios in town that we frequented used Nuendo. Over the years. I slowly upgraded as I needed features and now use Nuendo 10.3. I have tried Reaper, but the MIDI stuff just isn't what I'm used to. The Cubase drum map alone makes life so much easier, I wonder why other DAWs have not caught on to this pretty basic feature. Of course the Folder, Arranger, and Chord tracks also really help on the creative side.

I would recommend Reaper if you just plan on recording a few audio tracks. This is really important if you are part of a band and just need to record your parts. If you plan on doing the one man band thing and doing full productions yourself, I would go with Cubase. If you are going to be using a lot of Virtual Instruments, I would definitely go with Cubase. There is just a whole lot more depth in the MIDI features.

777 likes this.
  3. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

I bought the Steinberg branded UR824 Yamaha interface which stands up alongside UA & Focusrite stuff at double the price. It came bundled with AI and this particular dealer (Intaudio on UK eBay) also included Pro 10, effectively meaning I got Pro for £100. On registering, I got a free upgrade to 10.5 and I lucked out on the timing and fell into the grace period for 11 as well.

4. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Reaper has a drum map, though you can't rearrange the notes. Studio One also has a drum map, and iirc, you can rearrange the notes.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You can but it requires configuring the midi rerouting plugin with a text file and takes a little while - good enough for permanent setups though