Real world impressions of the Horizon Apex Preamp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Silence2-38554, Nov 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

There's more gray area than that obviously. The Metal Zone is a great example. It's a distortion pedal, but it sounds pretty good as a preamp thanks to its EQ flexibility and that can of bees sound actually works out okay into a power amp.

I think it's fair to say there is some misleading marketing to it, but I feel like there are some pedals that can justify being called a preamp. Where you draw that line is arbitrary because realistically just about any distortion pedal can be made to work as a preamp. I'm just speaking from my experience in trying out various distortion/preamp pedals into a solid state power amp and what has worked.

Spinedriver likes this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The Full Bore sounds great as a preamp. See the new Will It Chug video from Ola.

ATRguitar91 and The906 like this.
  3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Most dirt boxes don't have enough output signal to drive the phase inverter of a power amp...

They'll make sound, and may even sound loud...
    But are not meeting the required signal levels to drive a power amp properly, like a true preamp.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

You've obviously never tried one in person.. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't know if it's the power amp, the Hesu cab or what it is but Ola can make pretty much anything sound halfway decent. He's not wrong in saying that the Fullbore is VERY MUCH in the same mold as the Boss Metal Zone but it's nowhere near as refined as something like the Revv G3/G4 or MXR 5150. I thought the same thing in that I've seen demos of the Full Bore before that didn't sound that bad but when I tried it in person, I think I may have spent around 10 minutes messing around with it before I gave it back to the sales guy to put it back in the display case. It really wasn't very good.

5. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

Okay, because a lot of you seem to be quibbling about what makes a preamp different from a distortion pedal:

The big thing is that a distortion pedal doesn't have a built in midscoop in the tonestack (all guitar amp and preamp tonestacks have a mid scoop to correct for guitar pickups being incredibly midrange-heavy). A preamp pedal has one too - which is why they sound, well, not great run into a clean channel with a tonestack.

Anyway, re: the Apex: It's a slightly tweaked 5150 OD, and really sounds good in front of an amp and not as a standalone preamp.

6. narad

narad Owned a Zune

The fact no one here agrees with what makes a preamp pedal is just further proof that there is no such thing. Nor do manufacturers agree. Nor do people here agree with the manufacturers.

Beheroth, Spinedriver and lewis like this.
  7. danpintos

danpintos SS.org Regular

I think it's just hype. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but I don't think it's a coincidence that all of a sudden I'm seeing ad after ad online where random guitar players are endorsing this pedal.

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Best "preamp" stuff ive experienced is when actual preamp sections of tube amps are made available in their own package.

For example the ENGL E530 tube rack preamp.
    Pedals trying to do this end up being glorified distortion boxes instead imo. The blue print is too small in a pedal housing to really have a preamp section in there? (Guessing)

Distortion pedals can be amazing - but they surely cant be called Preamp pedals?