Ready to buy 1st bass, seeking input!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by unclejemima218, Jan 7, 2015.

1. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

Hey lads, as mentioned above, Im looking to pick up a bass, and am open to any recommendations. I would like to keep it around the $300 mark, new or used, preferrably 5 string but I would settle for a nice 4 string as well.
    I play all sorts of music, mostly metal, but some classic rock and bluesy stuff as well, so anything decently versatile you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciated! Ive read up on a few Ibanez and Ltd models but having never played any of them I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
    The only brand I'd like to stray away from is Fender, I've tried a few and I just didnt mesh with them, and I'm not too fond of the look. I would not completely rule them out though.
    Anyways. Enough babble, hit me up with some basses!

2. RobbYoung

RobbYoung Psalm Mutes End Wars

Try a Schecter P Custom. Nice cheap Indonesian (iirc) bass, think it's 4 string only, and has a Humbucker Jazz style pickup for different tones than a standard P.

3. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

Hey man thanks for the info, I'll have to check them out, trying to stray away from the traditional P or J bass look but if I can find a decent used one I may have to snag it up. How are the hardware and electronics on it? Anything to be replaced asap? I know very little of these when it comes to a bass haha.

4. House74

House74 Perfect Djentleman

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I almost make this thread every day but luckily someone always makes it for me :lol:

I've also been very interested in schecter basses. I'm really really wanting to get a Schecter Model T Session that's coming out this year. I also like the look of their stilettos but I think the Session style/finish fits the model t much better.