Read this for lulz. his is e trying to buy a Pittbull UL on Reverb. Read this and see

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Hollowway, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

So, I've been recently wanting a 100 watt amp, and I love Fryettes, so I figured I'd get the flagship model. I found one on Reverb for under $2000, so I talked with the guy, bought it, then tried to figure out what tubes he had in it, because things started seeming a little odd. Then he said he wouldn't sell to me. So I did a refund request, which he denied, but still wouldn't sell it to me. So now I'm working with Reverb to get the money back. I cannot figure out what is even happening here. Take a read and see if it makes sense to you. (Note that I edited his info out. I'm "Andrew.")
    (And I just noticed my ham fisted typo in the thread title...)

Hey, I just came across this. I have a 50CL, and have always wanted to go to 100 watts. I was originally looking at a 100CL, but obviously the UL is the one to beat. I know you’ve already reduced the price, but do you think you’d be dropping it any more? I’m just trying to see what I can swing.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

(He responded here with an offer for me to buy it.)

o Feb 24, 2018 06:48 PM
    I probably should make better life decisions, but I may just put this on the credit card, haha.
    Two quick questions before I pull the trigger: can I get decent tones out of this (aka punch) at home practice levels, or should I be looking at a hot plate?
    Also, are you the original owner? And are the tubes you put in a few years ago the regular recommended tubes, or did you do anything unique?
    Thanks!
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 05:26 PM
    lol well this will probably end the sale but no I was signed to a band when I was 17(2002) and bought the amp off of noodles from the Offspring. believe he did some a couple albums on it. got the full stack a year later from a music studio in NY that just had the right price. don't know much about the seller but the speakers were right on. As far as tubs. was playing a show and my amp went out.... never replaced or biased before. the recommended place at that time was the Spokane organ shop which did a great job I thought..... turned it into basically a 412, and a mic pre amp cause it sounded better than my m box stuff at the time. have not touched the amp in 5 years. long story but I got depressed
    and just kept it at my child hood home.
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 05:35 PM
    Oh, wow, that's a cool story! Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I gotta think that through a little. Sounds like it's had a decent amount of tour hours on it.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 05:40 PM
    quite the opposite. it was at the same studio with the full stack. lived in a studio its whole life besides when I was 17 I took it down the west coast which was fun and far to big of amp. not a single scratch, skuff, dent anything on it and I will fully stand by that. . then stored it after that knowing I would need it one day. in a sort of financial situation and instead of the 401k I kept SGs, VHTs and ES 335, and Ibanez rg 25 (only one that increased in value lol) incase of a rainy day.
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 06:08 PM
    Oh, gotcha. So Noodles didn’t your with it?
    Any idea what tubes are in it, brand-wise? I’m just wondering if they’re the same as stock Fryette tubes.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 06:17 PM
    Sorry, noodles didnt TOUR with it is what that should have said.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 06:18 PM
    Just read your note again - what do you mean about turned it into a 4x12 and mic pre? Sorry for all the questions. I’m just trying to figure out if it’s tubed and set up as stock, or modded in some way.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 06:41 PM
    I took off the top 412. No noodles would not tour with such a amp. Dexter spent it all on harmonies lol. It has preamps that are VHT brand still. Don’t know what else to tell u other than its barely used and the other 3$k artist series on reverb is in fact the same amp as mine. If I want a 350 watt sign I’m happy to show ya but he is definitely making the market stronger with his artists serious bull. Offer stands for a day. Would never make that deal if I did not have to pay fast
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 07:56 PM
    Ok, sounds like it’s a go, then. But, no idea about the power amp tubes? Or, does it sound the same as before it was retubed? Im just trying to figure if you went for a different tube for different sound or something. Other than that, it answers all my questions!
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 08:01 PM
    Dude going up there rain or shine. My knowledge of tubes was not that great back then so should be interesting. I’ll send u as many pics as possible. Talk soon!
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 08:37 PM
    Ok cool. I’m assuming they’re KT88s then.
    Ok, so in summary:
    1) The Offspring had it, but never toured it - just did studio stuff.
    2) You toured it a bit, and then had it in the studio.
    3) preamp tubes are stock, power amp tubes were replaced a few years back.
    But yeah, if you can find out the power amp tubes, let me know. Other than that, I think I’m ready to roll!
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 08:41 PM
    Tell you what - how about I buy it tonight, and just let me know what tubes are in there when you find out. I'm assuming they're KT88s, but just to be sure it wasn't fitted with something else.
    And just to confirm, the offspring only did studio use - no touring with it, right?
    Anyway, let me know if that works, and I can send payment through.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 09:15 PM
    let me go check it dude I don't want u disappointed but they are either or EL34/88. don't know but I do know there is section where u can actually switch them. dude I I hope u get this!1
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 09:55 PM
    sorry that's as American as I can sound.
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 09:56 PM
    went to Selkirk and proud of It jon
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 09:57 PM
    Ok I doubt they’re EL34s because ULs can only take KT88s or 6L6s. They could be 6550s, though. But, tell you what - I’ll put the payment through now, and if for some reason they’re not KT88s let me know, and I can reverse it.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 10:06 PM
    argue all u want about what tubes might be in them I have time now............,...fuck I spent 2400 20 years ago. think about it.
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 10:11 PM
    Oh yeah I didn’t mean to be arguing about it, sorry! I’m just trying to get an idea, because I want that KT88 sound, and I know there was the switch in those models to switch back and forth. But are you cool with me sending payment tonight, and then you can just confirm that they’re KT88s tomorrow?
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 10:14 PM
    no I just confirmed that the price went up to 2500$ sorry dude.
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 10:17 PM
    did not realize people were getting close to 3 k for it .....
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 10:18 PM
    Oh, yeah. The prices are all over the board with these things. I think it’s because not a lot of people know what they are. Everyone just wants the 5150 these days. But ok, I’m sending payment, so just confirm with me tomorrow when you get up there.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 10:22 PM
    I could say a lot of things right now but I think u got the best possible amp by far
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 10:43 PM
    Yeah, I’m kicking myself for not buying one of these when the economy was in the toilet, because they were all over guitar centers used site! I almost bought a 100CL for $1000, but decided to hold out for one of these. There are a couple of other used older models without the graphic eq, but I really want that. It’s worth the extra few hundred bucks!
    Anyway, thanks for answering my questions, and shoot me a message when you find out the power tube type. Thanks!!
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 10:46 PM
    should I hold off on shipping oh yep. got a tripple rectloctor stack for 1,000 $ when the market was good. these are not the same or even the close to same quality. but players know that and we play the game.
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 10:54 PM
    Yeah, message me on here when you find out the tube type. Like I say, I’m assuming they’re KT88, because I can’t imagine the shop in Spokane would have switched them on you without you specifically wanting them to. I think there’s a little switch on that model that says KT88/6L6. Or maybe 6550/6L6. My guess is it’s not on the 6L6. Anyway, I have my reverb app on the phone set to buzz whenever I get a message, so just message me, or shoot a picture or whatever. Thanks!
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. Hollowway

o Feb 25, 2018 10:59 PM
    its yours. I'm in the unique position where I live in north Idaho and a I take a 1 mile tram to the place. then its on its way dude!! it will be sent tomorrow afternoon. I hope that works for you dude!!!!...... y inherited the coolest thing ive ever know ....... and I wanted a long time to say that
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 10:59 PM
    Thanks man! Yeah, I don’t know how to take those tubes out, so maybe you can just see the label on them? Or maybe what position the switch is set to. But just message me when you see it! And then we can get it shipped.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 11:01 PM
    u rowl them in circle. if u feel like that might be to much and u don't want to do any more research please look around cause you will hate the ul 120. you know that machine that can tell if your lying/. this one knows. its the most obvious amp in the world. most good players that use it mask that with loads of EFXTS. but i don't know the lable. VHT on the little PRe amps but cant see the big 30 waters name. now if this is a problem let me know immediately. I will honer our offer of couse just know that you will most likely make tube choices due to your own preference over time. that's how u create tone. sold amp for good? or do u want to make sure its Russian
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 11:42 PM
    Yeah, I just want to make sure it’s got the KT88s in there. I zoomed in on the pictures on your ad, and it looks like they’re Tung Sol KT88. But yes, check it before you mail it. Because if they are something else, I have too see how much it would be to buy some KT88s. I’m 99% sure they are KT88s in there now. It looks like they’re labeled on the silver part at the bottom. And they have that fat middle to them, which means it’s a KT88z Then we can ship. But, tomorrow just check for me first. Thanks!
    o andrews Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 11:48 PM
    Andrew, i will ask u Once do you work for the Russians, plain and simple. your intrest in Russian weaponry has led us to you, why they kt88 russsian nuke?
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 11:49 PM
    then why ask me?
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 11:52 PM
    guarantee u tug soul makes better work than any Russian company.
    -him

o Feb 25, 2018 11:53 PM
    Haha, I wish my life was that interesting! I just want KT88s. But that’s a good point - I wonder if all KT88s are Russian? Anyway, I’m going to sleep, so I will talk with you tomorrow. Thanks!
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 25, 2018 11:55 PM
    yes KT88 is a Russian model. figured u knew that. buy some their like 5$ most tubes are. that's why its weird u ask me these questions. rotate out what u want. that's the fun of tube amps.... fuck. i hate the tone. prefure just about anything digital. but i use my VHT U100UL because i like the tarnation better than others. do u also agree with me that the tarnation is agreeable for VHTS.
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 12:01 AM
    Yeah, I love the tight, clear tone. It forces me to play better!
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 26, 2018 12:03 AM
    hey no disrespect to you, Iv been burned by this company twice and i want to make sure we are on same page. if your not really interested in the amp say yay and nay say nay. these fit 56 oz megs
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 12:05 AM
    you seem legit acoolsoi get you those pics in the am. seriously their is so much snow in N Idaho. cant get to the shop. but probably those eastern 88 we feared. i think that's a good thing... put ur own shit in there. don't be dumb ass like me and not bring extras. tube amps sound the best! digital is a ways away but damn dows the tube amps need to be more user friendly.. that's why i liked the UPB the half or full tube section use was fully on. uhhhhhhhh talk tomorrow jimmy
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 12:11 AM
    oh crap i don't know what oolsoi is but deffinitly don't know what that menans. had a few I'm gusssing that's some sort of drink or something. anyway. going to look at the tubes 8 ptam then ill hit ya. or not if your pisssed at me. had a girlfriend thing. its fixed. but uhhh not pretty. as you can tell Andrew.
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 12:18 AM
    A 120W all-tube amp (5 - 12AX7s, one 12AT7, 4 - 6550s
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 12:46 AM
    got it shipping tomorrow. get your ks to swap out the 4 65000s and I think, think that's what you will like. remember u can switch on the fly when back board Is open. ill get spects should be around 70-90 spipping. this amp is in perfect condition. and kt 88 would make it sound pretty deep if u add the 8 12. sound like tin thru messa boogie 3 sound better threw JCM800 clasiccis if you cant get a fattbottemm
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 04:01 AM
    I got a mark 1 and 4 and really loved the 4 because of the combo but no where near the tone or consistency. my mark 4 always broke down tho I loved it.. It will ship tomorrow. jimmy!
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 04:05 AM
    shipping off today from cda Idaho....YES s UPS: 1ZF6Y8414294307204
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 04:14 AM
    Did you already check those? Are they the 6550s? I just woke up and saw your messages
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 26, 2018 08:11 AM
    yeah dude im not shipping a amp to you you that you will probably sell back. the other UL is 3,000 buck so good luck with him. if you want the amp u will probably buy new tubes unless u want to sound exactly like some one else/ie steve steavens. so no im not sending you your amp until your serious about putting another 500 into it to do the stupid loud mesa boggie thing. go get a triple reflector and be disappointed.
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:01 AM
    wont be sent until leagly forced cause I don't need this shit. just trying to sell top of line amp
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:02 AM
    Ok all I’m asking is what tubes are in it. Did you check them last night? I can’t tell because the one message said you were going to check this morning, but then there was another one listing tubes. Did you go over there last night or no?
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 26, 2018 10:03 AM
    But, I get where you’re coming from. If you want to reverse the PayPal payment that’s fine. I can’t afford to put another $500 into it, so I was planning on using whatever tubes you had in it, that’s why I was asking. But you should be able to sell it easy to someone, so it’s totally fine if you reverse the payment.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

3. Hollowway

o Feb 26, 2018 10:12 AM
    yes i checked them Drew. their are 3 differ4ent types , all the types but the stupid Russian kt88 mesa boogie bulshit tubes. u gada go buy those ourself. a VHT in nothing, ,nothing like a mesa....... has higher gain..... that's it. no comparison.
    they are 4 tubes of enormous size. then maby 10 pres all with a VHT logo. they did not have a name or serial number that I could see.
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:12 AM
    im not selling to you cause you will just send it back..... sorrry
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:13 AM
    dude get a eleven rack. u will never need one of these again
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:16 AM
    my ebleven rack sounds better than my VHT with a ES 335 pluged inn. IM mean it sounds wayyyyyyyy better. fuck steve albini he made 3 ok albums for 3 amazing bands. don't listen to all his other shit. hes is more self absorbed than me and we are both from Montana. his talet was finding good music and nothing else. thoses albums could of been so much better but he ruined bands like the pixies, nirvana, and smashing pumpkins who steve abini hated due to the musician ship of that band. he could not just tell kurt to sing he had to micro manage every fucking thing and he ruined great great groundbreaking albums
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:21 AM
    and he wears glasses like a asshole.
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:23 AM
    ill sell u the amp but I will put a charge of 150 if it ever comes back withouth an explinatino of tubes u wanted. just go buy them. easy as that
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:24 AM
    I thing your pretty cool for dealing with a asshole like me. im sorry, very insecure person who uses art as a way to seem somewhat normal, with I was better with people b wtf I guess ill try that this time im sorry dude...... im a complete asshole of all sorts of varietys. no excuse. plain mean and disrespectful. very sorry; as u can probably tell I am bi polar/ manic depressive. whatever they are calling it, im starting to believe it
    -him

o Feb 26, 2018 10:37 AM
    No worries! I understand. And I’ll definitely look into the 11 rack. I’ve thought about modelers and stuff, but haven’t tried anything decent. Anyway, I did send the payment reversal request.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

Your request for a refund has been denied by the seller.
    Note from seller: you never got shit you fucking fag. go practice for a while then give up like me. it will never fill the void. copy and paste purchase and I will refund

o Feb 26, 2018 10:43 AM
    Hey I just saw you declined the refund request. So if you’re going to ship it, will you be removing the tubes and wrapping them separately? I’m not sure of the safest way to box it up.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

o Feb 26, 2018 12:48 PM
    Oh wait, I just read the message. My bad. I’ll see what I am supposed to do.
    o andrew's Gear Emporium

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Wow, you have a lot more patience than I do. I'd have bailed after the first 2 or 3 nonsensical responses. I have no good advice, but good luck, I guess.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

good to see that even reverb isn't safe from the crazies. On a relatively unrelated note, I love when people make me offers on gear for less than 50% of my asking price (which is usually the cheapest option out there because I research prices before I sell my shit).

Veldar likes this.
  6. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

What the fuck.

7. Asdef

Asdef SS.org Regular

Hope you will receive your refund

8. Hollowway

Yeah, I think I'll get the refund, but I'd really like to know what is going on with the guy. I could not follow his train of thought, and I just wanted him to confirm what tubes were put in there. New KT88s ain't cheap. I tried to roll with the conversation as long as I could, but MAN, that got weird.

Veldar, Gmork, MrYakob and 1 other person like this.
  9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Holy nonsense Batman. I would have stopped responding and definitely not sent any money. There were about two full sentences in everything he typed and almost none of it made any sense....

Rev2010, ArtDecade and Alex79 like this.
  10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

My head hurts.

Best of luck! I don't see why there would be any problem fighting this.

Smoked Porter and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Dude. Bail.

Keep in contact with PayPal to get your money back then don't mess with this guy again. Find a different seller once you get a refund, hopefully someone who can hold a coherent conversation :lol:

I love my Ultra Lead to death, but I'm also glad I waited for the right deal to come around so I could test it out in person before shoveling out that much cash :2c:

Hollowway likes this.
  12. Hollowway

Yeah, for sure. I'd love to hear one in person. I'll keep my eyes peeled on GC's used site, too, because that's where I got my 50CL. That way, I can return it if I don't like it. Though, people usually trade in amps that are beat to hell.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  13. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Okay that’s a strange dude for sure and I might’ve had some alarm bells going off too, but...

What’s with the tube questions over and over? You could get 4 KT88s sometime later. And for a lot less than $500.

“Does it function properly?”

“I haven’t turned it on in years.”

“If you can confirm it works properly and all the functions work I’m in.”

“Just checked it. Works fine.”

“Payment sent.”

But bottom line: it’s a weird transaction all around. Hope you get your refund. Reverb is supposed to be pretty good about that.

14. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Did you edit-out extraneous content, or was his rant about Steve Albini totally unprovoked?

Hollowway likes this.
  15. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I love pitbull UL’s... but not that much. Hope you get your coin back soon. I feel like you two were having entirely different conversations. That was straight up bizarre.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  16. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If you already like the 50/CL, you'll love the UL* :metal:

*I own both and can back this up

17. Hollowway

Nope. That's the whole thing. Nothing edited out. I just kept asking what tubes were in there, and wanted to know what the tour history was.

Demiurge likes this.
  18. Hollowway

Yeah, I was asking about the tubes because I was a little skeptical about the back story. He said he had it retubed because it blew out during a show, so he took it in. I know these older ULs can run 6L6s or KT88s, and have a switch. The sale price was good, but not good enough to drop money on a new quad of KT88s (which would be $150) or all new tubes ($250). And, if the wrong tubes were in there, and something was wrong with the bias, or the transformers, etc., I wanted to know. The only reason I kept pushing the question is that he didn't seem to want to directly answer it. So it made me suspicious. Then he said he'd check in the morning. And then shortly after he lists a bunch of tubes. So I wasn't sure if they were, or what. I don't know, the whole thing just started sounding sketchy. I wouldn't call an amp that has been on a tour and has a history of a retube with different tubes as being "like new" and, "studio use."

19. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Not bad, but it's no Denko. :lol:

(´・ω・`)

kevdes93 likes this.
  20. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

...straight up weirdo!...The broken English mixed with way too much dialogue and completely irrelevant statements are a dead giveaway he’s a scammer. Reminds me of those foreign Craigslist scams that were popular years back (still?) lol...I hope you get your refund.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.