Reactive Loadboxes

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by prlgmnr, Jul 3, 2016.

1. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Right, I've recently got a Victory Kraken head and would like to be able to play it and record during the many hours of a day in which my children are trying to be or supposed to be asleep (it sometimes feels like all of them).

I'm trying to decide between:

Two Notes Torpedo Live (easy to use, plug amp and headphones in and start playing. Most expensive.)
    Two Notes Torpedo Reload (Needs DAW running for cab IRs, but that's hardly a problem, also works as an attenuator, can be used for reamping but I don't see myself doing that. Can handle 150 watts rather than 100.)
    Suhr Reactive Load (Carries out one function and is supposedly the best "sounding" or "feeling" unit of the lot. Also cheapest.)
    Fryette Power Station (Wide range of features, tube power for driving speakers after attenuation, line out is frequency compensated but new version coming out has this switchable. Primarily designed as attenuator but also suitable for silent recording/playing).

Has anybody got experience of using more than one of these? Have I missed any obvious advantages/disadvantages of any of them?

I'm currently favouring the Suhr as it simply concentrates on doing one job well but the Power Station has some sort of "coolness factor" that I'm finding irrationally appealing.

2. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I've tried the Suhr unit and it works nicely. I didn't end up buying one though. I don't want to depend upon my computer and I play live pretty regularly. It sounded fine but not any better than is being portrayed out there. I didn't think so at least. Everyone hears things differently.

I have a Torpedo Live and will continue to use it with great results and ease. I use it all of the time and it works fabulous. I can adjust my cabs, EQ, etc. on the fly when playing live. There are times playing late at night that I just want to turn on the amp and the Live and just play as the rest of my family is asleep. It is a fantastic unit and works perfectly with my setup. I have a bunch of the optional cabs from the Two-Notes store which are outstanding!

There are some other options available as well such as the Rivera products and doesn't BatCat have a new version as well?

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I have a live. I like it. Haven't used it as much as I'd like as I have a toddler at home and playing time is rare at the moment at home.

I thought about the reload but i like the all in one portability of the live.

4. prlgmnr

Thanks, Rivera products seem a bit hard to track down in the UK or I would have had the Rockcrusher on my list as well.

5. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

6. Mmcgrouty

Mmcgrouty SS.org Regular

The Suhr is awesome. I use it at home with a power amp and 4x12. That setup gives me complete control over my volume. If I feel like playing 100 watt heads with someone sleeping in the next room, I can, and it sounds great. You would need separate cab emulation if you want to record with it, however.

7. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery SS.org Regular

The Suhr definitely sounds the best to my ear. I ended up snagging a Torpedo Reload because of the other features, but I'll definitely be getting the Suhr as well at some point.

8. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Is the 2w mode still too loud or not sound good? I ask because I've had my eye on that amp and have wondered how it would be at bedroom volumes.

9. prlgmnr

All the modes sound great BUT all the modes sound and feel different as the interaction between the pre and power amp stages changes.

10. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

I love my torpedo live. I have not found any other ir's that i like more than the lives. I have tried a ton of owhammer and they just don't sound as good to my ears.

11. prlgmnr

If there's any one thing that's coming out of my attempts to research these things it's that anyone who has any one of the things I listed is happy with it.

12. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

The best reactive load box is an actual 12" speaker.

I bought a Randall ISO cab, and then I built a 3/4" enclosure around the iso cab. I can crank it up and its very quiet in room. Without the outer MDF enclosure its still pretty loud. Or you could just put it in a closet or another room depending on your house.

You can tap the power signal with a redbox (or torpedo live) and send it to your PC for cabinet sims.

This solution might actually be less expensive and give a better result than loadboxes.

I used to mic the speaker in the iso cab, but I get better results using a redbox and using Revalver cabinet sims on the amps signal.

13. prlgmnr

I am considering cab-in-a-closet (I've even got 4 of my fibreglass broadband absorbers left over that would be just perfect) but the relevant closet is full of stuff and that's AFTER I cleared away about 70 percent of the crap that was in there

14. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Whatever you build needs to be a double layer isolation. Putting a real cab in a closet is going to be really loud. Putting an iso cab in a closet is quiet. Putting an iso cab in an mdf encosure, inside a closet will be almost silent.

15. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

I went from a CabClone (used direct with impulses, so not the cab sims on the Unit) to a Reactive Load recently and the difference was phenomenal.

I've not used the Two Notes but they will be of similar quality and you pay more for the features. However, I like recording the raw amp signal and choosing IRs later at the mix stage, so the extra cost wasn't worth it. I also don't use it live.

I've heard the Suhr very slightly edges it in feel over the Two Notes.

16. prlgmnr

FWIW I've decided to go with the Suhr

17. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Let us know how it works out for you! Should be great!

18. thrashcomics

thrashcomics SS.org Regular

Very interested in hearing how this works out. I am weighing the options of either going with a modeler or getting an Archon + the Suhr into Wall of Sound on my MacBook.

19. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

I have personally had better results going into Fractal's Cab-Lab 3 and using their Cab Packs or Ownhammer IR's. :yesway:

20. prlgmnr

My reactive load came yesterday, definitely does the job. Will try and get some samples recorded at some point.