Re-NGD... Rasmus by Suhr content... and a nice story

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Fluxx, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Fluxx

Fluxx SS.org Regular

Hey guys...

So not many people know the story behind this one, but there is some story to share... Bear with me, I hope you think its worth the read.

So June 2011 I buy a Rasmus Modern M204 immediately after a dealer fairly close to me has them in stock. I took a chance on buying a Chinese guitar QC'ed by Suhr in CA and boy did I strike gold... The guitar played great, sounded great, but I was left in the cold a bit with the color as the Charcoal frost wasn't what I was hoping for it to be.

Fast forward to November 2011, I contact Patrick Sims of Sims custom shop in Chattanooga, TN, and without really looking hard into his reputation I send him the guitar, and my money under the premise of having my guitar refinished in 8 weeks.... Or so I was told....

After realizing I was somewhat duped by Sims, I proceeded to research him more, come to find out he had a bit of a history of not following through with work, and losing communication as soon as he has your money, and lashing out at the public when questioned about his work orders... Sucks to be me.

Periodically throughout 2012 I would send him an email asking if I could just have my guitar back. Whether it was painted or not, this is one hell of a guitar and I couldn't just let it get away on me. Then, lo and behold, in January 2013 I make a last ditch effort to contact Sims.... and he actually responds :O

Patrick told me he had some health problems (an excuse he's used before,but I can't say hes not telling the truth, so who knows for sure) and he had a big backlog to catch up on. He said he would send it out to me in 3 weeks or so once the clearcoat cured. I will admit,I was still skeptical at this point and didn't want to get my hopes up.

The start of February rolls around, and I get an email from Sims with some pics of the painted body and a tracking number from UPS.... Mind = blown at this point! I was freaking out as I was sure my $1000 had flown out the window.... 2 weeks later, after some hiccups with Customs brokerage and some paperwork on UPS' end, it finally got here on Thursday, and I couldn't get it together and take these pics to share with you guys fast enough....

Hope you like it. Here's the specs including the changes I made.

Rasmus by Suhr M204
    Alder Body, Suhr 'Modern' body shape, Refinished in Candy Tangerine by HOK
    Maple neck, gloss finished, Indian rosewood fretboard
    Pearloid dot inlays
    Hipshot locking tuners (may seem redundant, but they cost pretty much the same as the regular ones)
    Gotoh Floyd rose
    Seymour Duncan Custom matte black & chrome JB/59 set.
    3 way toggle switch, 1 vol, 1 tone

Also, I appear to have misplaced the cavity cover, anyone have any advice on where to get one made? The one from my Suhr isn't a direct retrofit... I'd need a template made from another Rasmus probably.

Enjoy the eye candy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

Not to be a downer, but wasn't that a pretty close approximation of one of the stock colors that Suhr went with for these models? I could have sworn I saw a few of these floating around on the bay a while back in an almost identical shade.

Regardless, glad you were able to get your guitar back; seems a lot of folks aren't that lucky.

3. Fluxx

Fluxx SS.org Regular

No, this guitar is a metallic orange. They did offer the HSH modern in a brown color, but none of their stock colors had the candy pearl that this paint job has in it.

4. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Fucking yesssss

5. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Wow!! Fine looking guitar. Glad to hear things worked out for you.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Man, WHY did Suhr have to discontinue these!? :(

Congrats, though.

7. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Still a bunch on eBay.

8. engage757

engage757 Banned

Congrats Peter! This looks great!!!

On the other hand, it is great that you finally got it back. I know you were more than patient with him.

9. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

The pickup covers really set it off :yesway:

10. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Glad Simms actually returned your guitar to you.

Nice color choice, looks awesome :yesway:

11. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish SS.org Regular

At least the guy did a great job, a little bit of silver lining there. Happy Re-NGD!

12. ILuvPillows

ILuvPillows Baby seal will destr

Awesome, I've barely seen any Rasmus NGD's. Which is a shame.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeah, his finishes are remarkable, but the business itself is terrible.

Someone on another forum had a V refinished by him. He had the same problem as Fluxx, but the end result was awesome. Still wouldn't want to deal with him, though, when you have guys like Mike Learn.

14. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

15. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

They are as hard to get as the USA models :lol:

That reminds me, it's time to do another search!

16. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Nice to see fellow Halifax guys on here. Solid guitar.

I wish you didnt sell the JPX though, I would of offered some cash or a trade for it locally =[ Although I want a JPX7 ideally.

17. Fluxx

Fluxx SS.org Regular

I remember you from the maritimemetal forum a few years back Nick, good to see a local guy on here.

I had it on kijiji for a week or 2 and then a great trade opportunity came up for the JPX. Something will be for sale again when all is said and done....

18. flypap3r

flypap3r Banned

Glad you got your guitar bro! I had the same experience with Patrick Sims. I sent him my RGD2120Z, set of BKP aftermaths and $$ for a refinish/pup change. He dropped contact and wouldn't reply to emails or calls.

I ended up finding his wife's email address (she works for the government) and emailed her. I also contacted my local police and the Chattanooga police to file theft reports. Surprisingly, within a day, I get a call from him and email with pics of my refinished guitar. I then get the UPS tracking and BAM my guitar comes back to me (with a jacked up finish though). Yet, he didn't put in my aftermaths, nor did he return them to me. I'm actually relieved to be out $300 as opposed to $1800.

Glad you got your stuff back and nice color choice!

19. shadowlife

shadowlife Contributor

Wow, that came out incredibly cool. Those matte and chrome pickups are fucking sweet.

It's really a shame that Sims is such an unethical businessman, because he does do top-notch work.

Glad your story had a happy ending.

20. Fluxx

Fluxx SS.org Regular

Just to be clear, I know everyone here is saying Sims does top notch work.

I am less than impressed with the finish on the guitar. It looks like it was rushed and has several flaws. Don't be fooled by a good light angle and a macro function on my camera... It's really capturing a great photo of it, but Sims cut a lot of corners to get this done in a hurry and it's pretty evident.

The main one being that the old color coat was used as the primer, as you can see the gray finish under edges of the orange on the headstock and by the neck cavity. There's also a run in the clear, and a spot where there was a paint chip before wasn't fixed up properly and already has a tiny chip out of it now.

He sprayed the color and clear well, but I wouldn't call it"well done" overall.