Rate Your 7 String Guitars

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by M3CHK1LLA, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Yeah, the fan is more important to me than the trem. I can't do the greater scale disparity at the nut either. I don't mind pickup limitations or straight pickups on a multiscale if that's what I have to do. As stated before. My trem work is like a baboon with with a neurological disorder. For the life of me, I just don't have the patience to get good with one. Its more of a curiosity, and a toy to play with.

2. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

- ESP Horizon NT-7 (older model with 45mm nut).
    - Mods: pickup swap for Fluence Moderns.
    - Bought it because I trust ESP as a brand and because it had the narrow neck. I still own it and it's my only 7 in the family that stayed.
    - I'd rate it a 9 out of 11.
    - Mini review: it feels like playing a 6 due to the neck. Stock pickups were EMG 707 which were too bassy for my liking. Fretwork is excellent (as all my ESPs). I like the TOM, some might prefer other bridges like hipshot. The TOM has limited intonation room. 25.5" scale might bother some players, but not me since I rarely tune below drop A. Only real con is that it doesn't come with locking strap pins.

M3CHK1LLA and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

-Guitar: Parker Maxxfly DFMV7

-Mods: Instrumental Decomp set

-Story: Wasn't getting along with my 080S and had it up as trade bait, received this as an offer and immediately went in on it

-Still Own: No, but would buy back in a heartbeat

-Review:

Pro- Extremely lightweight and ergonomic, impeccable fretwork, fantastic piezo system

Cons- I sold this guitar for two reasons. The first of which being the inability of the bridge to accept string gauges over a 58. Thicker strings could be used provided you were okay with th ball end of the string not being seated in the bridge, however I wasn't and didn't want to drill out the bridge to accept larger string gauges. Secondly, I never ended up working out how to stop the piezo battery from constantly dying, and how to separate it so that it wouldn't kill the magnetic side when the battery would inevitably die (it was always on regardless of whether anything was connected to it) and thusly, off it went.

The stock Seymour Duncans in this guitar were absolutely awful.

-Rating & Final Thoughts: 8.5/10
    I regret selling this guitar constantly because from a playability standpoint, it was absolutely incredible. Effortless to play. In hindsight I should've just kept it and had it tuned to B Standard instead of trying to make A Standard work for it. The limited ability of the bridge to accept string gauges and Parkers own mess of a wiring system stop this from getting an overall perfect score, but of all the guitars I've owned (250-300 at this point) I rarely miss any, but I find myself missing this one fairly regularly.

[​IMG]

4. oracles

Guitar: Aristides 070 x2

-Mods: None

-Story: 070 #1 (purple marble): Was a lot more active on forums and groups in 2015, and saw a blue marble 070 posted. I'd been having trouble finding someone that would do marble finishes to start with, but the Aristides finish seemed very well executed and I was curious about arium. Ended up messaging Pascal and through the course of that conversation, I placed my initial order (5 more would follow)

070 #2: I'd been pestering Pascal for 2 years at least for swirl finishes and he still refused to budge. We arranged a skype call to discuss prospective finish options, and ended up settling on battleworn.

-Still Own: No

-Review:

Pro- Fit and finish on these was impeccable, as was the fretwork. Both of these guitars very much accentuated the pickups they were fitted with (M7's and custom Avedissan set). Stability was over and above my expectations, and the purple marble was more than torture tested in this regard. It went through at least two winters reaching temperatures of -50c and below, and also sat literal feet away from a wildfire and in both situations, the guitar was unaffected (though I don't suggest doing either of these things)

Cons- The second 070 was ordered after revisions to the neck shape and profile had been made, meaning I had both versions production necks. In going back and forth, I disliked the newer profile more, however I chalk that up to personal preference solely and don't necessarily believe this to be a con, YMMV.

While both of these guitars sounded and played fantastic, I began to notice a certain sterility to arium, which some people have interpreted as a "lack of personality". This isn't inherently a negative, as mentioned earlier these guitars did serve to accentuate the pickups they were fitted with, but I found myself wanting a little bit "more"

-Rating & Final Thoughts: 9/10
    Great guitars that presented zero issues in the entirety of the time I owned them. Fit, finish and setup was immaculate and rivals or exceeds just about any high end build I've encountered. I'd have no issue ordering again if the time came, I've had nothing but good experiences with Pascal and co.

[​IMG]20180608_163235[1]

5. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I have owned many seven strings but nothing quite as nice as my Kiesel.

Guitar: Kiesel Aries A7(C? not sure) in Racing Green

Features:
    • Stainless Steel Frets
    • Ebony Fretboard
    • Walnut neck w/ Purple heart stripes (I think)
    • Mahogany Body
    • Floyd Rose (whatever the Ping one is)
    • EMG81-7x and EMGSA-7
    • Thinner neck option
    • GREEN AS FUCK
    Review:
    First impression right out of the box was this thing plays effortlessly. The previous owner had a weird setup though, which included a plain 4th string which I've never seen, so it took me a couple days to dial it in completely. When I did... magic. The action is super low and the neck rivals the thinnest Ibanez's that I have played (RG550s, Universes). I was worried I wouldn't like the Kiesel neck shape but it's amazing. It was like it was molded for me.

The pickups - well.. they're emgs, we all know what they sound like. The x-series are slightly different sounded, maybe a bit more open I guess. Tough to describe and I don't have a standard 81-7 to compare. I definitely preferred my Fishman Merrow set to these, but they're still good for my death metal and shredding. I love the EMG-SA, and I am a big fan of HS or HSS guitars for that reason. I just love the tone they give. I know, weird.

The guitar is much heavier than most super strats I've played. Not as heavy as my les paul, but probably in between the les paul and the caparison I had before. i haven't played it standing for long durations, so I might need a new strap, who knows.

Cons: Whoever routed the pickup cavity for the 81-7x did an absolutely awful job. You can only tell up close, but it's pretty rough. I might feel inclined to fix it if it ever bothered me. Also there's a ding under the volume knob where the wood straight up chipped off and he glued it back on. I might one day buy a bigger volume knob just to cover it up. The strap holes were stripped, so I did the ol trick of putting in toothpicks and woodglue to redrill them.

Own it: I will own this guitar for life. First one I can say that about.

Rating: 9.5/10

I'd buy this guitar brand new from Kiesel any day. I might even choose green! IMG_20191120_210524.jpg

6. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd likes this.
  7. oracles

Guitar: RAN Crusher 7

-Mods: None

-Story: Already own a Crusher 6 and it's my personal favourite guitar I've ever owned or played. I wanted the same thing in a 7 string format.

[​IMG]

-Still Own: Yes

-Review:

Pro- Fit, finish and setup out of the box was incredible. The Lundgren M7 is an incredible bridge pickup, but the Heaven 57 is absolutely the star of the show. Incredibly versatile, gorgeous cleans, I was absolutely floored by it and still am.

The finish is the exact shade of purple I asked for, and Dariusz was very thorough in communicating with me that he would try his best to get the exact shade. We reviewed 10-15 reference images to ensure he had a solid understanding of what I wanted, and he absolutely nailed it.

I was also very specific about the woods and Dariusz sent me several examples to choose from.

Cons- RAN is no longer in business, or I'd have ordered more (and do regret not ordering at least two more when I was considering doing so)

-Rating & Final Thoughts: 10/10
    This guitar, as well as my Crusher 6 are "my" guitars. Nothing else I've played or owned has satisfied my wants and needs as a player more than these two. I've bonded with these exceptionally and have nothing but praise for them.

[​IMG]

8. oracles

Guitar: Ibanez RG7421 (1999 version)

-Mods: GMC swirl, DiMarzio D-Sonic, Air Norton pickups, new pots, switch, jack, nut, tuners

-Story: Owned several of these throughout the years, and at one point was sitting on around 6-7 of them. I'd always had GAS for swirls, and this was during peak Livewire hype. I decided to take my favourite of the 6-7 RG7x2x's I had and have it sent down there for swirling

-Still Own: Yes, all other 7x2x models have been sold

-Review:

Pro- Exactly what you'd expect from one of the old MIJ RG7's, just a reliable workhorse guitar.

Cons- Livewire turned into a con artist and stole money and instruments from myself and many others. It doesn't affect my relationship with this guitar much anymore as I've moved past being angry/upset about it, but it definitely marr how I thought and felt about this guitar for a little while.

-Rating & Final Thoughts: 8/10

The 7x2x MIJ builds are reliable workhorse guitars that can be found on the cheap all the time, this is the one I happened to bond with the most, and is also the 7 I've owned longer than any other.

[​IMG]

9. NoodleFace

May I be a dick and ask what the livewire scam was?

10. thraxil

thraxil cylon

[​IMG]

Schecter C-7+ (roughly 1999 era)

Overall: 7 or 8 out of 10

I originally bought it because I'm a huge Godflesh fan and Justin Broadrick was using nearly this exact model for a while during the Jesu period (I've seen pictures of him playing it in Godflesh reunion shows too).

Good: solid, well made, looks good, plays well.

Bad: default pickups are Duncan Designed, low output and super muddy and mushy. I ended up selling this guitar because I'd only paid about $200 for it originally (used) and couldn't quite bring myself to spend nearly the price of the guitar for new pickups. Unsurprisingly, Broadrick had replaced the pickups in his with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Sometimes I regret selling it and wish I'd kept it and just upgraded the pickups. But I have way too many guitars anyway now and it went to a good home.

Otherwise, it kind of reminded me of what you'd get if you took a Les Paul and turned it into a seven string superstrat. Beefy, LP'ish set neck joint. Very thick and round baseball bat neck. Not recommended if you are not a fan of thick necks.

11. oracles

Livewire came onto the scene offering swirls with a good turn around time, and for a year or so, there was no reason not to trust him. My RG7 pictured above is the last guitar I know of to actually leave his shop, and I feel like thats largely due in part to me showing up to his shop and demanding it.

Shortly after, Michael (the owner) had his first of many drug related arrests. In this time, he stopped returning emails and phone calls where previously, his communication was excellent. After his first arrest, he closed his shop HQ and moved the contents and operation to his house where he was "working on getting customer builds back" and sent out a series of half assed apology emails. He had another 2-3 drug related arrests followed by one arrest for assault of his pregnant wife, and seemingly disappeared. No one has been able to get a hold of him since.

He had at least 40-50 customer guitars in various stages, and to my knowledge, none were ever returned or sent out despite peoples efforts.

12. NoodleFace

Fuck

13. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

They’re awesome. With the 5 way selector and coil tap/split, there’s an abundance of tone options (more than I need really)

On a high gain setting they’re clear, punchy and growl when I dig in.

On a clean setting they are rich and alive and not lacking in tone. I’m used to EMG’s, been playing them for years in 6 string form. I was not sure how a seven with active pups would go as I’d never played one but I use this guitar for all my playing clean, crunch and high gain. They’re killer.

I’m not really able to use technical jargon about mids and frequency’s sorry.

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Brand: Oni

Model: Dunno. Silky Oak 7 string baritone

Mods: Shipped with Bareknuckle wound pickups. Those were later replaced with Oni pickups.

Why bought: Dan is super cool and knew I wanted an SC607B, and we both knew he could do better than ESP.

Still own: Hell yeah.

Would buy again: absolutely

Rating: 11 / 11
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mini review: The tone is full but bright. With the long scale and full tone pickups, tuning down to F is no problem and standard tuning sounds crushingly big. The pau ferro neck is super comfy, and the design lends itself to balance and ergonomics.

c7spheres, xzacx, odibrom and 5 others like this.
  15. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

16. bostjan

660-720ish, so like 26-28 1/4"

17. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

If this thread lives on I'll chime in once in a while with some of my current/past cheapy 7's for the beginner and budget crowds.

Model: Washburn WG587. Red finish, H/H, TOM bridge. Mid-late 2000's. All stock.

This was my first 'beater/modder' 7 because I paid $150 CAD for it, even though it was mint. Never did anything with it because it was pretty damn good for the price and didn't need any work done. No longer own it, sold for the same price I paid. I've bought $1500+ guitars that needed that much money put into them to be players lol. But have recently been trying to track another down locally in good condition for a good price (this and quite a few other budget 7s I used to own).

From top to bottom: Didn't hold tune amazingly, but budget tuners plus TOM bridge is quite forgiving to retune every couple hours. Headstock bevel was cool at the time (pre Aristides? :lol:). Quite a chonky boye compared to a 7321 neck, or even an Agile, but I remember it fondly as being comfortable to hold, not too big, just not thin enough for everyone to like. Definitely not a shred machine but it riffed quite well. Fretwork was flawless, even after big Canadian climate temperature swings. Fit and finish on the body was good as well, minor finish swirling IIRC but what do you expect on something so budget. Felt solid. Everything worked as the day I got it as the day I sold it. Pups didn't have much clarity or definition, mushy?, but I was running it through a XT Live at the time and it handled mid-heavy modern tones adequately.

In the sub $300 category: 8/10. What might end up going for $100 USD or less used nowadays, you can find equivalents or guitars that excel in different areas, but will be hard pressed to find anything better that isn't a price error.
    In the world of guitars: 5/10. Fun homebody and I would happily gig it as a rhythm player.

M3CHK1LLA and c7spheres like this.
  18. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

Guitar: UV777pbk - '01 (for the uninitiated, that means one piece maple neck with lo-pro)
    Mods: not yet
    Rating: 9/10
    Gets the 9 for one thing, which I can mod, and that's the stupid push in arm. The amount of play it has aggregates me to no end.

Guitar: UV7S
    Mods: guy I bought it from shoved a $30 neck pup in that isn't as good as the Blazes.
    Rating: 8.5/10
    Killer guitar. My go to for heavy 7 string riffage. Even with low action it feels like i cannot shred as easily, and the neck feels thicker than my 777 (unmeasured). Also sounds a bit darker, which isn't a pro or con.

Guitar: RG7PCMLTD
    Mods: Not currently
    Rating: 8/10
    Let's be honest, this premium blew me away. Not only in looks, but feel. Plays on par with my 852, and better than my MiK RGs. Reason it gets dinged are personal preference, and my ego won't allow it to outrank my UV :lol: SS frets are not my thing. Nickel lasts decades, I don't sweat acid. And they sound so mettalic and ping-y/bright. Which isn't necessarily bad. And then the PAFs. I love the low output, until I tap complex multi-fingered crap. Blazes IMO work better for it. Again, killer guitar for a premium.

Yes, I own them all still. No, my phone won't allow pics to upload direct.

19. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

I'll review my Mayones Regius Core Custom 7 (the guitar in my avatar).

[​IMG]
    Brand: Mayones

Model: Regius Core Custom 7

Specs: Body:
    - Swamp Ash Top and Body Neck
    - 11 ply, Maple/ Mahogany/ Amazakoe/ Wenge Fretboard - Ebony with Grey Pearloid Binding Frets
    - 24 Stainless Steel Nut
    - Graph Tech Black TUSQ
    - Scale: 27” (687mm) Baritone
    - Radius: 16” (406mm)
    - Color: Satin Gothic White Pored Black Pickups
    - Bare Knuckles Pickups, Ragnarok 7 neck and bridge
    - Control: 1 Vol, 3 way lever switch Knob: Speed knob
    - Bridge: Hipshot 7 string fixed
    - Tuners: Hipshot Grip-lock locking tuners

Mods: All stock

Why bought: I was on the market for a seven.

Still own: Yup.

Would buy again: Definitely.

Rating: 11 / 11

Mini review:
    This is a striking guitar, I love how they filled the pores with black and made the body white. The wood grain is particularly interesting, because it's not perfectly symmetrical and I think that works with this guitar.

Fit and finish is incredible, the action is low, all the joints are seamless, the fretboard is super friendly to play on and the fretwork is immaculate. The Bareknuckle Ragnaroks really work well in the guitar and I seriously doubt I'd ever replace them.

The guitar is a bit heavy, but not excessively so. The neck is a comfortable shallow D and the fretboard is wide enough that you can easily riff on a single string, but not so wide you have to second guess while making string jumps. Easy to shred on too.

Tone-wise, it is amazing. Just so much power and aggression and definition. I usually play it in drop B, chunk and thunk for days and lots of character.

Iron1, drmayhem, beyondcosmos and 7 others like this.
  20. bostjan

Brand: Dean

Model: Avalanche 7 pewter gray

Mods: sigh not yet

Why bought: Was too cheap to pass up. I was going to mod the crap out of it, but all my plans fell through.

Still own: yes

Would buy again: sure

Rating: 5 / 11

Mini review: For the price, this was an amazing deal. Abalone inlays. There were some flaws in the finish. Tuneomatic bridge isn't really my style, but works well and the neck feels surprisingly great. Stock pickups are not great, but for the money, mediocre is impressive. Hardware is alright. This guitar was pretty much better than my RG7321 in every way except stock pickups, but cost a third as much!

M3CHK1LLA likes this.