Rare Universe poll

Which UV do you own?

• Total voters

7stg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had an uv777bk and the unfinished neck warped. I had talked to several woodworkers and they all said an unfinished neck is a really bad idea.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had an uv777bk and the unfinished neck warped. I had talked to several woodworkers and they all said an unfinished neck is a really bad idea.

The necks of all UV models guitars are finished, they're just not buffed to a gloss. There is a solid, poly based finish on the neck. It's not, and has never been, bare wood.

brett8388

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We need some pocs of the uv777gr and multicolor

Easy enough.

f.jpg

101_2489.jpg

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally some MC/ GR pics!!! Thanks brett8388

SuperNovaRG1570

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those really look great. Do you notice much difference between the two as far as sound any playing?

Yeah, don't know how to explain it, but when i play em, the difference in sound is pretty noticeable. The White one sounds more warm & airy. while the Green dot has a more darker tone to it. Simply love the green dot, its a beast from hell.

I guess you will have to try em out urself, to find out the difference.

Has anyone else also noticed that.

But the set up on my white one is just killer & it has the smoothest neck, i have ever played. I was doin some research on jemsite for my white one, to find out the original owner & it turns out the White one was owned by Shawn & he had bought the guitar from Rich Harris:hbang:

If my reserach is correct then, it's an honour to own Shawn's guitar :bowdown:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/opinion/hitmiss.htm

2. UV777BK
"The updated ergonomics are perfect, as is the unfinished neck, customary on early UV guitars..."

Because if it's on Jemsite it has to be 100% accurate. :lol:

Calling a neck "unfinished" is a misnomer that's come into great prevalence. It's a term used to describe a neck without a thick, glossy, often opaque finish. The necks described as "unfinished" are, in fact, finished, just not like the bodies.

I know that seems weird, but it's a similar concept to calling a Floyd Rose a "Tremolo" when it's actually a "Vibrato". It's just a case of misused terms.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is up with that black mark on some of the universe neck plates? Does anyone know? Mine has it too.

(Sorry for the double post)

It's corrosion of the original plating. They all started that darker color, but thanks to time, wear and tear, and sweat, they typically look pretty bad unless they've been case queens.

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, don't know how to explain it, but when i play em, the difference in sound is pretty noticeable. The White one sounds more warm & airy. while the Green dot has a more darker tone to it. Simply love the green dot, its a beast from hell.

I guess you will have to try em out urself, to find out the difference.

Has anyone else also noticed that.

But the set up on my white one is just killer & it has the smoothest neck, i have ever played.

That is cool. I played a Green Dot once probably 10 years ago in a music store, if I had the money at the time I probably would have bought it even though I wanted the PWH more, and finally got one about 3 years ago. I'd love to compare it to a Green Dot from the same time frame. Would you say the neck shape is the same between your two? I'm wondering how the neck shape compares on the new Green Dot to the original.

My dream universe is a black body from a Silver Dot, white pickups and knobs, and the neck from a PWH with white pyramid inlays and headstock, I just think that would look great. Someone sold a PWH neck on ebay a few months back, it went for like $700 I think, if it hadn't gone for so much I might have bought it to try and build one someday.

NoFriegue

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My contribution. The whole UV family!

Attachments

• 2013-04-25-0306.jpg
    2013-04-25-0306.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 88

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

That is just awesome. Are the MC and Green Dot originals or the Reissues? I'd love to spend a day trying them all out and comparing. Do you have a favorite?

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score

That almost made me cry..... You are a blessed man! So jealous. Do you notice any variances in the necks between them all? Also which do you prefer and why?

NoFriegue

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That is just awesome. Are the MC and Green Dot originals or the Reissues? I'd love to spend a day trying them all out and comparing. Do you have a favorite?

MC is a RE, but the green dot is a BK 90's model with edge 7.
I must say the UV777GR is my favorite. It was the hardest to find and it plays wonderful!

That almost made me cry..... You are a blessed man! So jealous. Do you notice any variances in the necks between them all? Also which do you prefer and why?

Thanks! I must say that the earlier models have the best necks.
I do like the RE a lot too, because the job Rich did setting it up was excellent. I so confortable to play. If you have a chance to purchase from him, pay extra for his services.

I also have a modded UV7BK which I play on shows, because all the other deserve a more "civilized" use hehe

Attachments

• 2013-04-25-0308.jpg
    2013-04-25-0308.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 39

Geetarguy

27inchScale
Contributor
Reaction score
^ ur posts just make me drool! How many uv's do you have?