"Rare" RG7620

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by solarian, Mar 7, 2009.

1. solarian

solarian SS.org Regular

Guitar: AMAZING Ibanez RG 7620 7 String Metal Masterpiece !!!!! - eBay (item 300297821956 end time Mar-09-09 16:59:08 PDT)

So, I asked the guy if he'd be willing to go lower on the price (he already lowered it once from $750 I think it was as it never sold), especially considering the condition as clearly noted in the description and that it doesn't even come with a case: "It has some cosmetic dings and such, but it plays like a dream. No cracks in the neck. A couple of chips in the paint, and some worming on the back from belt buckles." *note* The nice gash in the headstock as well.

In response, I basically get "Naaa, this is extremely rare, especially cuz it has an edge." Wtf? Don't ummm...ALL of the 7620's come with an edge tremolo? I may be wrong here, but I seriously thought they all have an edge.

Man, I hope I can find an RG7620 for a reasonable price...it seems like everyone selling theirs on Ebay are seriously on something lately.

2. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

I saw this too, and was thinking about putting a bid in until I saw the dings and the fact that it doesn't even come with a case :shrug:. I really would like to find one of these for a decent price but it seems like people are really asking for a pretty penny now.

And every 7620 I've seen has an edge (at least I think so - I'm no ibby expert), I think it's probably more rare because you don't see a lot in that silver finish.

3. solarian

solarian SS.org Regular

I hear ya man, well good luck to ya in finding a 7620! But don't outbid me on something k? lol

4. Jem7RB

Jem7RB Rootbeer

Aye, all 7620's shipped with Lo-pro7's anything else just isn't standard

Hope that helps

Rob

5. SteveDendura

SteveDendura SS.org Regular

I always wonder why someone would sell a guitar without a case:squint:. I think it'd sell faster because it'd be shipped more securely and up the value.

I too have been watching that item in my Ebay. Just to see what it finally sells for. :nono:

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Banned

$700?? For a 7620? Without a case? Fuck that!

All the RG7620's came with Edges. And, "Rare"? That guy is full of shit, there for a good many years, RG7620's were the most popular Ibanez 7's available, and to some extent still are. Ibanez made a fucking SHITLOAD of them. Theres LOTS of them floating around, especially on this forum.

And what do you know? Its a Grey Nickel (GN) one, who would of thought. I swear Ibanez had a serious hard-on for that damn color a few years back, they put it on damn near every model. That and black.

7. solarian

solarian SS.org Regular

^ lol

EXAAAAAACTLY!

8. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

looks pretty good.
    I wouldn't go over $400.00 ( I might even offer that myself as I'm really liking my 7620 lately)
    +UVc case $100.00
    new pickups
    (at least $150.00, $300.00 for BKSs which is what I'd do.).
    you'd be into for $650.00 (or $800.00) to get it where you 'd really want it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. solarian

solarian SS.org Regular

So wait...is that an offer for your 7620? GIMME!!!

10. Bobby

Bobby SS.org Regular

So wtf made rg 7620's so popular in the last couple years?

I purchased mine in 06 for $399 at guitar center. It had no dings zero fret wear and all the plastic film on the plastic pieces. No case but I didn't care it's my first seven.

I don't even play it anymore because my little brother uses it every now and again.

11. solarian

solarian SS.org Regular

That's what I want to know, even though I'm one of those guys trying to find one! Obviously, the whole 7-string/Korn explosion years ago made them extremely popular, but I can't honestly think of anyone truly popularizing 7s today. The only person I can think of would maybe be John Petrucci, but even so he still uses 6s a lot of the time and DT isn't exactly getting radio/MTV air time.

So...uhhh....*ehem*....wanna sell me your 7620? :p

12. Scali

Scali Banned

As far as I know, there were never many 7-string Edge tremolo's made. They were only on the very first Universe models.
    They quickly switched to LoPro Edge.
    The tremolo in that picture is a LoPro Edge by the way, not an Edge. Which is bog-standard on an RG7620.
    It's pretty much the most distinguishing feature from the RG7420, which has a cheaper TRS tremolo.

Oh, and not surprising... it's not set up right.
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...-pet-peeve-with-edge-lopro-edge-tremolos.html

13. Wi77iam

Wi77iam Ibanez fanboi

:lol: I love it how every time a trem isn't set up right you go - :realmad:

14. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

:lol::lol:I was actually thinking of 'adding" this one to the collection.
    the current 7620 I have is my second one. My first one had a very flat thin neck and it killed my wrist after an hour or so of playing it. So I sold it and I thought I was done with Ibby 7's but then I played Drew's 1527 (now owned by Chris) and it had a bit of a rounder neck shape to it that I absolutely loved.
    My current 7620 has that same neck profile and it really is comfortable to play.
    I think they are gaining popularity because, when you find a good one, they are really good.:agreed:
    With a pickup swap you havea great playing , sounding 7 for a fraction of what the custom builders are getting.

15. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I let my GN go for about 400 and that one seems to be a little cleaner. I wouldn't pay more than 400 for that one though. :agreed:

16. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

$700 for a stock RG 7620 w/o a case is a ripoff.

17. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I still can't believe that I picked up an RB for 299 at GC. I should've held onto that one too.

18. solarian

solarian SS.org Regular

You just made me cry Shawn, good job. :noway:

Lol, when did you get yours?

19. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

The thing is, 7620s are a little less common these days, and with the 1527 price hike, people feel like they can justify charging a little more as the "next best thing" is $900-1200.

20. solarian

solarian SS.org Regular

Interesting, and that totally makes sense, even though it's MESSED UP!! :wallbash:

So I'm having this crazy thought that might be destroyed depending on your answers guys: if I can't find a used RG7620, could I build one (or something close) within a $500 budget? I have no clue if this is possible, but I'm considering maybe finding a used body (7620 or 7420, or whatever) and an Ibanez neck, find a 7 string floyd rose on ebay or something, used pups, and whatever else electronics I'd need. I'd probably just oil the body and clear coat it (maybe you guys have some thoughts on this) as I totally suck with paint. I'm no electronics guru at all, so I'd most likely take it to a local shop to get everything wired up.

Anyway, good idea or bad idea?