Rare NGD: '94 Ibanez RX650

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Opion, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Howdy folks! Been a while since I've posted an NGD, I felt this was worthy seeing as this is a huge Ibanez-friendly forum...:metal: Now gather round for this guy's story...

Basically, it all started when I began to pine over the sound of a Strat...we all know that old familiar road we take as guitarists...but being an Ibanez lover, I love the flat neck and straight-forward design of the RG, having owned 4 of them. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this on my local craigslist...for $165!!!

(Sorry for the dark pics, I'll try and shoot ones in sunlight this week to show off its actual color - its a very dark stain, almost deep-wine red. In the first photo, right above the middle single coil on the top horn is the closest to the real life hue of the finish)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A 1994 Ibanez RX650, which went on to become the Ibanez GIO line...this thing has an all MAPLE body, HSH, 5 way with coil tapping, a 22 fret neck with traditional style tremolo, and this really cool pick guard that almost looks like sparkly snow...hell yeah :yesway:

Now, if you're a diehard Ibby fanatic and have done your homework by now you've probably gone, huh? I thought they came with bound rosewood boards? Initially, this baby was totally stock - the previous owner or owner before the last guy shaved down the 12th fret to be completely unplayable, and upon inspecting it at home I discovered the truss rod nut was broken and free-spinning in the cavity. In other words, the guitar was totally neglected - the bow made it a pain to play and intonate.

No worries, though! I immediately took to the 'bay, found an RX50 all-maple neck, swapped hardware, and boom, she plays better than ever. I even discovered the neck was stamped with "JUL 1996"...so this guitar is an all-90's relic. Hell yeah!

So far i've only owned this guitar for about 2 weeks, but I am in love with it already. The tones I can get out of the 5 way and coil tap are unreal - so much versatility. Harmonics are richer now with the maple neck; I thought the maple body was gonna cause this thing to be treble-city, but it is not the case at all. The neck pickup is very full and round, a bit bass-heavy, but it still retains the creaminess a neck pickup should. Both humbuckers split sound badass. She balances well, is comfortable in my hands, and I imagine will only get better with time as I get used to the way she plays. Very connected with this thing...sometimes impulse buys can be worth it :lol:

That's all for now. I've got 4 gigs coming up this week so I'll let you guys know how she fares...thanks for checking it out! Now i'm off to play her some more...:shred:

Attached Files:

2. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

Congrats. Enjoy

3. tylerpond05

tylerpond05 Mormon Metalhead

looks firkin sexy!!!