Rant about Ford

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Esp Griffyn, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I've had a 2001 Ford Fiesta for about 8 months now, and I'm sick to fucking death of it.

Despite being an 01 reg, it only had 20,000 miles on it when I bought it, and appeared to be in great condition. After a week of driving it, a coolant hose sheared off due to being rusted through, and the coolant pissed out everywhere. The engine overheated and head gasket nearly blew, thank god it didn't. The thermostat melted and had to be replaced. The brakes sucked and the Master cylinders had to be opened, even now they aren't great. The oil level way over maximum, since the dolt of a previous owner filled it with oil right to the top of the engine, rather than using the dipstick to check the max fill level. I thought it would overpressurise and leak but it never has.

All was ok for a few months, then the battery started getting a bit flat. Most of the time it starts up in a second, but sometimes it just goes "VrRrrrrRrrrRrrrrRrrrrR" for a little while before starting. 23,000 miles a dying battery, great. Even in the dpeth of winter, when the country was under a foot of snow for a month with ice an inch thick in parts of my car, it started up no problem. Now, even on a sunny day it grumbles before starting.

Today topped it off, I went outside and looked at my car which was parked on a hill, and there was a puddle running towards me from under it. Great. Got it up on some ramps and had a look under it with a lamp, the oil filter was covered in oil, as was the metal housing the filter was connected to. I wondered if it was excess engine oil finally leaking out, but it was clear yellow and slightly fishy smelling, so I think it was radiator / coolant fluid. It's running from somewhere above the oil filter that cannot be reached from below, and is blocked from above. I refilled the expansion tank, which was down below the minimum level so I will not blow up driving it home from work tonight, and I will jack it up and have a look under it with my dad tomorrow. It's either gonna be a case of tightening a jubilee clip, or sending it to a garage and having the engine ripped out to fix it, which will be expensive :(

I can't wait until I graduate uni so I can get a full time job with a decent wage and upgrade. Horrifically unreliable is how I'd describe this car - it's fast for a 1.3L, but the interior is very sparse, and the suspension is rock hard. It's fun for fast driving, but the fuel economy is shit and compared to some bigger engine cars it blows on motorways.

Never again will I buy a Ford, unless I get a real high quality one like a Focus ST, otherwise, never again! :mad:

2. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

Have you checked their site for recalls?

3. Esp Griffyn

Unfortunately there are no recalls for my year. I will have to check it over in person or get a mechanic to strip it down and fix it. Load of fucking bollocks, I've never heard of a German or quality Japanese car falling to bits after 23,000 miles.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Hey man, be glad you know how to check out stuff about your own car :yesway:

I really am not that automotively inclined, although cars fascinated me as a child and I do want to learn more about how they work; partially so I can work on my own. I now have a 1996 camry LE 4banger, my first own ride (my first-car-but-not-actually-my-first-car-because-it-we-had-3-cars-lucky-me was a '90 camry LE). I would like to do my own oil changes and mild work on it, but I don't know squat. I have friends who know, and I'd like to call them up and learn about it, and I should read the owner's manual, but at this point in time I can add engine coolant, check my oil, add oil, add window washer fluid, gas it up.. bout it, really :lol:.

Shitty deal... I didn't know they still made Fiesta's in 2001???

5. RenegadeDave

RenegadeDave Huge nerd

Sucks man.

To be fair though, some of the stuff falls into "buyer beware" territory and not so much Ford blows at making cars territory.

6. Esp Griffyn

They have been making Fiestas nonstop since like 1988 I think. Mine is a Mk5 (5th generation), they are up to Mk7 now.

[​IMG]

I suppose this thread should be called "Rant about cheap cars". I'll be glad once I can get out of starter car territory. I drove my dad's Subaru Impreza the other day and it was fucking great, it will be ages until I can get insured on something like that though.

7. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Just putting it out there:

20,000 miles on an 8 year old car doesn't sound right, it's possible that whoever owned it before you changed the mileage, which would explain the problems you're having with it.

8. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

dude, i first got started working in cars when i was 13. all i can say to you is this. with EVERY company there will be problems. you are talking about a piece of machinery with thousands of moving parts. you think cheap guitars are hit or miss?lol :) theres so much than can go wrong on a car. you can talk to a thousand other owners of the exact same car that never had a problem.i really cant offer any words of wisdom here. keep your head up buddy, try finding a SUPER cheap beater instead of fixing this one unless you still owe on it. for a long part of my life i would buyreally cheap cars that ran ro somewhat ran, then make them run for cheap (i wouldnt buy something unless i knew it was a cheap fix) then i would drive the shit out of it till something broke that either cost money i didnt have,more money than it was worth, or something i didnt want to do. then i would sell it to the junkyard for a quick hundred bux. put that togther with another couple hundred and buy another ;) i actually flip cars for cash sometimes lol.

9. Esp Griffyn

It was owned by an 83 woman who only drove it once a week to do her shopping, then she had a stroke and could not drive it, so it literally sat for 6 months on her drive, then I bought it and had not passed my test, so it sat on my drive for 6 months. When I first started driving it it was doing 20mpg while it was loosening up again, now it does 30mpg, which is still shit. I think a lot of it's problems come from the fact that it sat and rusted without ever really moving. Now its doing a couple hundred miles a month and getting driven hard every now and again, it doesnt seem to want to take the punishment. It's not getting thrashed, but it does get some nippy runs in. It's just full of shitty components.

these things are just chains of weak links, have you looked under the bonnet of yours? Compare what you see to a Volkswagen Polo, you'll see what I mean :wavey:

10. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

ohhhhhhhhh now theres the problem!!!!you cant let a car sit for a year brother!!!!!

11. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

I agree with this. It is highly and i mean highly unlikely that this car would have 20,000 original miles for being a 9 year old car. Most people who drive a car normally do about 10,000 a year and that is on a light year or driving. Just because it is a ford it doesent make it a bad car (although i have heard the focus and a couple other of their cars arent made so well). I have been looking at the ford fusion and it looks like a pretty sweet car.

12. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

dude, you cant let a car sit for a year!! especially 6 months outside atleast.that awefull!!

13. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

your gaskets dry out and crack,the belts dry out and crack. the acid level in your battery drops,your hoses crack. the plunger mechanism in your brake master cylinder dries out. your caliper plungers dry out, if its a manual your clutch slave cylinder will dry out. the engine oil seperates from the moisture inside the engine and the inner engine rusts. BAD SHIT!!!!!!!!

14. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

ill give you some more. moisture seperates from the gas and the tank rusts sucking rust and dirt into your fuel system. this clogs filters,rails,injectors. also fouls plugs. your rotor button will definately be corroded as fuck. dude i could go on and on.

15. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

oh your injector o rings will also crack, this will allow gas to leak.most of the time on four bangers the injectors sit over the exhaust manifold. that means fire.

16. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I'm pretty sure Jym is spot-on here :yesway:

So far you've said the car has sat for year, was over-filled, and possibly has a loose jubilee clip. All of those things can cause a shit-ton of potential issues that are completely unrelated to possible Ford incompetence. To me it just sounds like you picked up a poorly maintained car. Which really sucks if you can't cheaply do the work yourself :noway:

None of the things listed here have to do with reliability BTW. Rock hard suspension is a preference thing, you said it's fun to drive fast but complained about mileage, and you're complaining it can't keep up with bigger engine cars on freeways when it has a 1.3L 4-cyl :scratch:.

I do agree with you on the not buying a Ford part. Everything they make bores the fuck out of me :lol:

17. matt397

matt397 Tr00f

I had the same issue with my old 97 sunfire. I was literally stuck in a position where I couldnt afford to buy something new(ish) but it had to get back on the road for my wife. it had sat in my driveway for about 6 months cause I couldnt afford the insurance on 2 vehicles an my wife wasn't working. to make a long story short I had to get it road worthy and took it into a buddies shop and told him just get it road worthy and make it pass a safety and etest. $1500 went by, then $2500. finally $3000 later I had a car back on the road, its been on the road for a year and boy does it ever sound like shit. but hey, how many people can say they have a 97 sunfire with 450 000 Km !!:noplease:

18. lateralus819

lateralus819 Mr. legacy

Meh, my F-150 sat for 3 years, fire right up, albeit there was problems. I think that's where his are coming in. I found a LOT of problems with my truck after it sat so long. Break lines broke, needed batteries, exhaust shot off when he started it, alternator, gas lines, all new tie rod ends.....shit adds up.....may only have 20,000, but it sat for a long time and now that its getting driven frequently, you'll notice thing's will fail and need to be replaced. I wouldn't place the blame on ford.

19. kingpinMS3

kingpinMS3 dumb, but harmless

aren't fiestas made in germany?

20. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

shitty mileage is usually due to being a little jumpy with the gas pedal ;) (i speak from experience and thinking my car had issues: no, i was hot-dogging it more often then I thought).

Next time, don't buy a car that has sat for a while :yesway:. Also, on the topic of fords being shitty, I've read online (take that for what it's worth) from someone who used to work in the car industry, who used to attend design meetings etc with the guys from the big companies, that the new American cars are actually at the quality they should be. 2010 Fords are a good buy. Again, this is what I read, I have no actual experience, none of my friends drive 2010 Ford vehicles, and I'll wait to hear what people say in 3-5 years when I'm looking for my next ride.