Randy Blythe (LOG) - Online Raging via Twitter

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

You are mixing two very different issues here, and that leads to a flawed logic, in my opinion. Simply put "making a living off of music" and "expecting to get paid when people actually get the work you put for sale" aren't in the same league to begin with.

The whole "making a living off music" is something that is as diverse as it gets. Being reasonable, your original work will get you some income if people fancy it enough, but many of us end up doing all sorts of session work and hired gun stints to make sure we can get along without major issues. Speaking of my own case, I do not expect Atonement to net me vast sums of money in any way shape or form, nor such a torrent of gigs that I can afford to stop doing session work and the like and become a new Steve Vai of sorts - expecting that is, at least in my view, unrealistic and supremely arrogant, as you assume many, many thousands will find you awesome and flock to buy your stuff. I do expect people to stream the tracks to give them a listen and, should they like them and want to keep them, pay me (and it is ME they are paying, as I am solely responsible for the entire process) to do so. If not, stream away - it's free and I'm more than happy to see people go to one of my pages to enjoy my songs.

This brings me to point 2 instantly. I am already taking a risk in making the album at my own expense to begin with, and until further notice, I got 0% of my hard earned cash back, with more money to go when I place the CD order and pay Mattayus for the final masters. I am also giving one of my tracks away in exchange for a measly FB wall post, and I never remove tracks from streaming unless I am replacing them with a version with better quality. This is absolutely free for the final consumer and I gain ZERO from it, but it was MY choice. I own the material, I make it free in whatever form I deem appropriate. That also makes it my choice, and one that must be respected legally and ethically, to ask for money should you like my songs enough to want a full resolution download. By doing this, I'm expecting decency, not a half-arsed excuse regarding the evils of modern corporations my solo work isn't even related to, sorry.

I also don't expect anything from music, I simple make it because it's in my nature to do so - this doesn't exclude that I ask for people to help me out as I don't eat air, nor does my family, and other than the expenses I have doing the best I can to give you guys a pleasurable listening experience, the time I spend taking care of all this stuff is time I'm not getting paid for in any way except for the less than 2 pints worth money the downloadable version will cost.

2. Homebrew1709

Homebrew1709 SS.org Regular

There's no point in arguing whether it's ethical or not to pirate music. The fact is that it is free, easy and practically risk-free - people are going to continue to do it under these conditions.

How many people think that they can successfully make a living being a musician, particularly a metal musician (since this IS is a predominantly metal-centric forum)? It's a damn risky undertaking and that's an understatement. You aren't gonna rake in cash selling records. If you make any money at all, it's likely from concert tickets (can't be recreated successfully) and t-shirts (can be recreated but it isn't free or easy).

There is no inherent right bestowed on us that we be able to make a living as musicians and no one is forced to try to do so. Randy shouldn't be making moronic analogies about McDonald's - McD's operates under market conditions that allow it to make money. Musicians mostly do not. Is that because of the ease of pirating? Maybe. So the music industry needs to find a way to change the underlying conditions if it wants to make money for itself and those in it. Until then, either take the huge risk to try to make a living as a musician or don't.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  3. goherpsNderp

goherpsNderp no refutin' rasputen

hates derivative regurgitation

*photo of randy*

keeps making albums that all sound the same

4. etcetera

etcetera SS.org Regular

What sets the limit for a career I can choose and expect to have the right to make a living from?

Also, if I walk into a furniture store or a bakery or a clothing store or whatever, and see an item I like, and go home and make myself a perfect replica of it, is it really stealing? All ethical questions aside, it's difficult to argue that what I'm doing is stealing. It sounds to me like you have such a strong ethical objection to downloading that you're willing to forgo logic and reasoning in the name of defending your values. You can repeat the label 'thief' all you want, but it won't make it an accurate description for downloading music. The potential sales idea is a fallacy, and a pretty blatant one at that.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that downloading music is necessarily ethical/right, I'm simply pointing out the mistake in calling it theft and trying to oversimplify an inherently complex issue.

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

It goes beyond being a musician...

I know it may be tiring for me to requote that 2nd Cracked article on my sig and for all to read it yet again... but it's relevant.

The Future Will Turn Us All Into Lars Ulrich

Randy Blythe, with his colourful opinion on piracy, is just another example. And who could blame him? Regardless of level of success, his art is at stake of being stolen. Christian Muenzner also expressed a similar opinion and Obscura ain't exactly Lamb of God's status, whom also a far cry from Metallica's status too. But the issue is the same and you can't prevent artists of all levels express their disdain for piracy and people stealing their music.

6. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

But so is listening to the music. Who said that it is the right of every person in the world to receive all music ever made, for free? IF an artist is realasing stuff for free download its all o.k., but if one chooses not to do so, imho everyone should respect that. Besides the fact that, only a small percentage of artists that put their stuff up for sale intend to LIVE from it.

2 sides of the coin...

The "old" system doesnt work anymore, I think we all can agree to that, but seriously - neither does the status quo. BOTH sides need to change their attitude. There are - as far as major releases go - too many people and companies involved getting their cut. This needs to be reduced, to the minimum. And also stuff needs to be AVAILABLE. I will buy records if I get them. A 3 song EP only available as import, costs are EUR 49,- - will I buy it? Probably not. (Actually....its more likely that I will buy it nonetheless because I'm a helpless record-collector, but the majority won't, so you get the point :lol:) Same dilemma as, for example, TV- and movie industry - I dont pay Eur 50,- for (lets say) HEROES SEASON 4.1 and again EUR 50,- for HEROES SEASON 4.2, so I receive 2 DVD boxsets, fully loaded with shit no one needs to justify additional discs and seperate sets, and its available 6-12 months after it has been aired. Release it, for a reasonable price, RIGHT AWAY, and I'll buy it.

But seriously - the "other" side needs to change their attitude as well. There's always this "Oh, I download it at first, and if I like it, I buy it." - excuse. Bullshit. I know so many people preaching this, and seriously, maybe 2% (if so many at all) really do it that way. Most of them don't buy it (but keep lstening to it over and over again). If you guys check your harddrives now, search for albums that you have on your harddrive/mp3-player to which you have listened more than - lets say - 3 times in total, and then check how many of them you have bought.

One needs to realize - you arent hurting the music industry that bad. You think the music industry lives of metal? Really?? They have their shit that sells, dont worry. What all the illegal downloading is ruining, is what many of you (as far as i can say) are trying to do - to get signed by a label, to go on tour, get money for a good studio etc.etc...wonder why you dont get signed and/or endorsed? Well, because your band does not SELL.

Its easy to say "well, they need to change" when one himself wouldnt bring the same will for a change.

That all said, I for myself prefer people to listen to our stuff illegal downloaded rather than they would not listen to it at all.

7. Homebrew1709

Homebrew1709 SS.org Regular

The Lars blurb was more sensible than Randy's drivel. Ever read Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut? It takes place in a society in which robots do practically everything. Humans are either engineers that design the robots, or they are municipal workers that do mindless labor. Great book.

Maybe ACTA is the only way to stop pirating. But that's got nothing to do with robots performing human work. Music and books are intellectual property and it is hard to determine how many pirated copies would have be sales instead - it's definitely not 100%. Machines making my coffee at Starbucks is different. Again, not condoning it, just sayin'...

8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Even if you agree with his opinions or not, or like the music he plays or not what nullifies the credibility he might have is his demeanor. I know heavy music is supposed to be all tough guy attitude (it sells) and rebel against the norm but in the end it is just marketing. And I hate when the entertainment industry considers us all idiots.

On the other hand I like LOG and no matter how idiotic I think his behavior is I still will listen to their songs.

9. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

In the end, I find tough guys are tough guys and nice guys are nice guys. Doesn't matter if it's a country band, hardcore band, or metal band. Also doesn't matter how they dress. Just compare early Dave Mustaine to early Kirk Hammett - tough guy, nice guy, two completely different attitudes, both dressed in black leather.

Either way, I see nothing Randy did or said as "tough guy".

10. etcetera

etcetera SS.org Regular

Ok, this guy is clearly an idiot. I was getting somewhat annoyed with his rants after reading the other thread, but after this I just think it's kind of funny. No need to argue against him, he's doing a fine job making himself look like a complete dick as it is.

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Fixed because it has a better ring to it.

Prydogga likes this.
  12. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

Or the guy really hates Djent, and wants there to be less bands like every other band.

He's not the only one. There is no nullification of credibility. Dude's a ragin' 'cause he's really passionate with his hate.

On the other hand, there's a thread with his thoughts on piracy and everyone was going "Fuck yea, Randy!"

Now he hates Djent and everyone's reaction is:
    "Ha, he can't Djent so he mad."

Dude's just wildly expressing his opinion, and while I don't like him, or his music, I have to say I agree with him, 100%.

13. stevemcqueen

stevemcqueen Namby Pamby

I do agree with him on the genre thing. I am getting so tired of people being more worried about figuring out what genre a band is than listening to the band. Someone blew up on me for calling some Whitechapel death metal the other day. Seriously dude? I like good music whether it is pop punk, death metal, djent, or progressive polyrhythmatic technical symphonic black deathcore. Oh and fruitbatcore is awesome too.
    Randy Blythe does sound quite lacking in the intelligence department though.

14. Tomo009

Tomo009 SS.org Regular

I'm not sure what all of you are reading, but they were separate things I'm pretty sure. Nowhere there did I get the idea he hated, Djent, just the title. The first part was pretty stupid, but he can have that opinion if he wants, obviously. Not saying it is a good position, I wouldn't agree with him at all. On his second point I simultaneously am guilty of what he is saying while agreeing that there is somewhat of an over-classification in some schools of metal. I do think the name Djent is pretty stupid, but it is different enough it kinda needs a name to group the bands of that sound. He went a bit crazy with the hardcore rant though, “…all this BULLSHIT “Deathcore” & “Djentcore” & fucking “Cantplayinreallifebutcanonacomputer-core” it’s just a NAME” Especially seeing as Lamb of God even sometimes is classified as metalcore.

Maybe with some context these ridiculous quotes would make more sense, maybe he is also bashing djent, but I didn't get that from the article. The title of the article is pretty misleading, as usual.

15. Mysticlamp

Mysticlamp Ripplesprint

i do hate the overclassification of metal

16. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

' “Cantplayinreallifebutcanonacomputer-core”'

sound like he's lashing out at the people releasing whole albums of material from their bedrooms without having a gigging lineup. Which, while I agree many people are re-hashing the exact same sound as each other, is not necessarily a threat or offense to Randy except when the generic bedroom recorded stuff SOUNDS better and is BETTER music than anything he's ever done.

I mean, isn't he the guy that just yells? I've been the guy that just yells in the band, and while I may have done my share of effort and sweating I was assuredly the absolute least creative or hard working member in that band. Same goes for Randy.

17. Espaul

Espaul SS.org Regular

I don't get the rant on there being to many genre descriptions in metal. I know people love throwing out genres, but I kinda feel it's in the spirit of metal.

Also as for my own sake, it narrows down what I will check out. It's not always that I want to check out djent bands (since rolling stone magazine or whatever used it as a genre, it is a genre) or death metal bands.

18. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

LOG: *Djent sucks*, SSO gets mad.

Now someone make a Randy Blythe fruitbatcore meme.

19. Diggy

Diggy Banned

"regurgitating someone elses music"...???

LOG=Pantera+everything else LOG listens(ed) to. It's all being rehashed and only a few bands REALLY change the game.

"sub-categorizing is stupid"

If you happen to be a band that does something different, so what if you call it whatever. Shitcore would be great if you can repeatedly produce the brown note and get the desired effect. To me, djent is just an EQ setting. If you like to EQ your rig in the "djent", so be it. If someone else says, "Hey, djent sounds cool for how we sound", so what!.

I think he's just pissed cuz LOG arent doing anything new or ground-breaking.. LOL.. By this rant, he pretty much told his own tale of his views of LOG's inadequacy as song-writers. I dig LOG and see nothing wrong with what they do, even if they are a rehash of Pantera/everything else.

I'll still listen to them.

ShadowFactoryX likes this.
  20. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

A vast majority of metal bands would have a small local to zero following if not for people having downloaded their stuff. I think its a great thing for bands to get heard and noticed and there is no better way then people "stealing" their music. Sure you might not sell 1 million records because not everyone is going to buy it but if they didn't steal it in the first place you'd still be playing shitty bars in your hometown instead you can tour all over the world and have fans.

blahblahblahblah bands are a business suck my dick blahblahblah.

MJS and ShadowFactoryX like this.