Randy Blythe (LOG) - Online Raging via Twitter

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. etcetera

etcetera SS.org Regular

Pretty much, although I'm more interested in the ethical side of it, as opposed to the legal. I've actually seen a few people in this thread using the illegality of downloading as some kind of argument against the morality of it, which seems pretty silly.

2. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I see what you mean, but the middle of a crowd is generally where a pit starts, so if you go to a metal show and stand there then expect to get caught in it. I personally don't like pits, so I stand to the side, but the people who do go into the pit love it and they tend to look out for each other. I am sure if Randy saw something going on that looked very unsafe, he'd make a point of it. I've seen many frontmen who encourage moshing stop and try to control things when it gets too much. It's only violent if people make it violent. I've been to some hardcore metal shows, and those fans are very different. They don't care about other people's safety and deliberately go out of their way to hurt one another.

But, another topic for another thread I think. :)

3. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

I like how this thread keeps getting on and off track and jumping back pages in discussion because no ones reading posts before they respond xD

4. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I also like how this thread is entirely about the downloading issue and not one person has commented on what Randy is doing this weekend for breast cancer and his ranting about that yesterday.

One thing I would like to see is for the bands who are bitching about downloading to show us the exact facts of how it all breaks down financially. Maybe if people saw actual numbers as to how it's hurting the industry, people would give half a shit more than they do now.

Personally, I see both sides. I've downloaded in the past without buying a record, but the ones I do dig, I *HAVE* to get the disc as artwork/booklets are just important to me as the music. #whyvinylfuckingruled

5. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I'm gonna take my ukulele and become a wandering minstrel, playing for a bed, bread and beef broth.

Ah, the good old days!

6. Lon

Lon drop it like its G#!

Actually, you're on the money there, not to become a wandering ministrel, but to change your businessmodel.

If you closely observe how new bands are pushed (HAARP Machine would be a recent example), its like Pokemon 10 Years ago, its not just about music (or the Gameboy-games), you gotta offer something to listen, to watch, to read, to everything. Full fledged multi-media assault, interviews for the philosophers, playthrough videos for the skill-sturbators, youtube streams for the crowd to listen to, and of course crosspromotion from other bands, this is why labels are still important, pure and simple promotional whoredom.

And of course this is not a evaluation to tell you how its done, this is just an observation how bands get pushed now and what you can try to do. The problem is, you cant half-ass anything, every aspect of your bands "public face" must be top notch production quality (guess why there are professionally done lyric videos nowerdays and no more windows moviemaker fanvids...)

Ancestor likes this.
  7. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

what would happen if a band (who owned their licensing) made every song and video they put together available for free? had their own site and allowed people to legally and easily download their stuff? then sold advertising?

who would bother with an illegal download if you can get a better quality version for free legally? everyone would go to that site. if the band has enough traffic, they can sell advertising (as well as cds, dvds and merch) and probably make more money than they would from their tiny percentage they get from a recording contract.

most bands don't want to bother with learning the business part of music and they get stuck in terrible contracts. bands like type o.

i mean, c'mon people. we have brains. most of us are pretty smart. we just need to use them and stop relying on a solution that doesn't work or works with horrible inefficiency.

8. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

Cause Stone Cold.... said so

9. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I didn't get through every post but on the topic of piracy and downloading, and the argument of stealing and copying, what about the old days when people used to pass cassette tapes around......now I know sound quality greatly diminished after each recording, but the principle behind would be the same, and nobody complained about it back then. For that matter burning discs, same thing isn't it, still nobody said a thing.....

I'm not justifying it, I have downloaded, and am a horrible person for doing so......I still buy 98-99% of my music.

I was always under the impression artists never made much money on records anyway....most of their revenue came from merch and ticket sales for concerts....

10. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

This was the beginning of piracy, and nobody was complaining because it was not wide spread. The inconvenience, the need for a dual tape deck that most didn't have in the beginning, the degradation in quality, etc... - not that many people were doing it. If anything it was helping promote and spread new artists further and faster, and brought the mainstream sales figures to previously underground bands and genres. (See: Metallica).

Unfortunately the industry was too short sighted to think that some day not only could one reproduce music PERFECTLY from copy to copy, but that it could be distributed over airwaves in a matter of seconds. So what may have been easily ignored or even beneficial then has turned into the nail in their coffin today.

11. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

You wanna talk piracy, here' a funny memory:

When I was a kid, I remember my friend bringing me an album by Weird Al Yankovich. (the first album). It was awesome, and I had to have it. My sister and I had identical shitty mono tape decks from radio shack, so we put them face to face so that the speaker of one was up against the microphone of the other and recorded the album as it played.

Thats how it worked then. We didn't even have dual cassette machines yet as the idea of copying albums was so new. (and even then - illegal). The quality of the resulting dub was something that we would describe as "horrific", but I rocked that copy of that cassette for weeks. When I finally made it to the record store my entire saved allowance went to buying that album so I didn't have to listen to that shitty copy.

12. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I wonder how he feels about buying used albums. I do it all the time and I get albums (ones still in production at that) for significantly less than they would cost new and none of my money goes directly to the artist or the label, it all goes to the guy selling it to me. Presuming I'm the third or fourth owner of that album and will sell it myself eventually quite a few people hear the album in it's intended quality without any money going to the artist or label but it's perfectly legal. And that's without taking lending the CD out to people into account.

13. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

Well this is the 13th page so I doubt anyone cares anymore but I feel like I should through out my thoughts for good measure. Some people have had similar viewpoints already I think. Anyways...

You can't compare burgers with music. Burgers are physical property, music is intellectual property. I personally believe that it is a little ridiculous that you can patent knowledge and ideas because that is something that should be shared with everyone for the greater good. That being said, artists work hard for what they do and deserve compensation for the process and as a valid appreciation of their contributions and while piracy isn't direct theft, it is immoral. I realize it's difficult to make money with the kind of hippie ideas I have so take it with a grain of salt.

If I was cool enough to have my own band I would charge for swag and for us to play shows. We would take donations if they enjoyed our music but the music itself would be under a license that promotes individual liberty. Freedom to acquire and distribute my music or use it as a model for their own as long as they also give me credit (assuming it was even any good!) because I, like barney, don't believe you should go to jail for sharing with your neighbor.

14. Shi7Disc0

Shi7Disc0 Lifeisjusta....disco

Theres too much stuff I want to listen to for me to pay for everything. I will say though, that if I like the music I will make an effort to support the band by purchasing other merchandise, or pay to see them live. I doubt LOG makes that much money from their albums anyways.

The market is oversaturated with independant recording studios who can get the job done just as easily working out of their basement on a DAW saving you tons of $$. This is a new generation and you cant fight free internet distribution, your just pissing off your fans and rejecting exposure to a larger crowd.

Heres an idea, record under a cheap indie/ no name label and give your album out for FREE on the INTERNET. Only make physical CD's with extra content/ posters and bs to the hardcore fanboys who PREORDER. Focus on making money from TOURING and selling MERCHANDISE. Problem solved.

15. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

Sorry for a little bit of a bump......

The communications revolution has cut out all sorts of middle men; the music industry is no different. Is it intellectual property? Yes. It transduces to a monetary value no matter how abstract that value may be. That is undeniable and inarguable. However, reitterating points made before me, the music industry doesnt have an inherent right to maintain superfluous operation.

Online distribution at a lower price with direct agreements between the host and artist is the solution. Maintaining a price point of physical media is insulting to customers especially since none of the overhead of physical distribution is there. Its clear that people have an issue with this, thus, they have turned to piracy. Thats not the only reason people pirate, but its probably the main factor. All in all, there are still other options instead of the criminal route....

I dont like paying 10$ for a CD, SO I DON'T. You know what I do? I support the local musicians that are just as good as the labels' offerings. There are so many free artist products out there, that its borderline denial to simply pirate. The trade off is promotion of the lower tier bands. In this aspect, turning to piracy reduces a need for an audience to discover local talent; talent that could just as easily satisfy a consumer's demands. In this illustration, its easy to see how piracy hurts your local scene.

Don't give me the production argument. Nearly every artist on the website has nice production. SSO itself is a testament to the quality of free music.

16. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

It's been about 2 years since I downloaded any music; proud to say it too.

And, Randy is awesome.