Randy Blythe (LOG) - Online Raging via Twitter

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Downloading an album from a torrent, illegally is morally wrong.

If the artist has posted other ways of listening to their music for free they still retain control over how their creation is experienced, by and large. They still control distribution.

The key thing is that the artist retains control of their creation. Downloading their album illegally takes that control away from them.

2. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

Officially-sanctioned freebies give artists the potential to earn money indirectly through sponsorships or advertising, and they also allow the artist to monitor the general habits and trends of their audience - where they're from, the average amount of time they spend listening to something, a rough percentage of how many listeners followed through and bought the album, etc - which they can then use to better target/promote their stuff and to improve the experience the next time around. If they're giving it away for free then you can certainly argue that it doesn't really matter whether you download from p2p or you check out a Bandcamp profile, but by prioritising official freebies over pirated rips you'll encourage more artists to offer freebies on their own terms and to make it more accessible to everyone, as well as help them out a little financially without spending any of your own money. None of those things are possible if you just download a torrent.

3. LolWotGuitar

LolWotGuitar SS.org Regular

4. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

What does it have to do with the price of tea in china, as it may be? $100,000 a year is pretty rich to the majority of Americans, no matter how you spin it.

What the heck are you babbling about? Average includes the underachievers AND the ludicrously rich. That's what makes it an average. The point being, his idea of making $100,000 minimum and not wanting to be rich is in fact a goal to be in the top 30% of earners in the country, or somewhere thereabouts.

Either way, still not sure what any of it has to do with music, as I don't see many of us that attempt it ever coming close to that figure working as a musician. It doesn't seem relevant at all.

5. chronocide

chronocide Total Grind Hell

That's what the three examples you cite did. And pretty much any example I can think to give of a massively technical player.

Not many people work sixty hours a week, mind. The average chap here would have twenty-five to thirty hours extra a week than that would allow to practice if that was their inclination.

6. Mordacain

OK, go on believing 100K is rich. While you're at it, cite me some figures that say a "majority" of Americans believe that $100K is "rich." I did an informal poll at work with 4 guys and none thought $100K was even close to rich. In fact the leading definition of rich among that group was being able to live comfortably off of the interest generated from the amount you had in a savings account.

The relevance of citing a figure is in setting a goal. And while we're on the subject:

Average Income of a Musician

You'll see ranges of an average working musician from $22K to well over $100K (for certain symphony orchestras).

Determining how much you can earn is always relevant. If I determined I could only make $25K a year as a working musician but I need $50K to support my family properly, obviously I can't go off being a musician. Unless of course I want to be a total selfish prick and ignore the needs of my family to pursue my own selfish desires.

ShadowFactoryX likes this.
  7. chronocide

I'm not great on US living costs, but a couple of seconds googling tells me that in 2006, only the top 20% of US HOUSEHOLD incomes (77% having 2+ earners) totalled above $91,705. So $100,000 seems a lot.

I put on lots of fair sized bands, some earning WELL into the thousands per show and selling a lot of records. I'll bet I've never put on someone who earns that.

8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I do think it's worth bringing up the Red Seas Fire album/EP again.

A lot of hard work was put into it and it's a quality product. People are flinging money at them because they can hear the hard work put in and can tell that in this day and age where everything is available fast, in abundance and sometimes free - this is worth their money, even if they're not paying for the music directly.

I will be buying the new Threat Signal album because they are extremely talented and have obviously worked hard. I like the look of everything about their new album. However, if a band thinks that they can cruise by in their careers by making an awful product and then expect people to pay just as much then it could be argued that they are stealing from the consumer who doesn't know any better or has been tricked. How many times has an album been sold on the strength of one track only for the customer to find that the rest of the album is complete shit? I'm not putting it forward as a strong argument, just a little food for thought.

Since the days of Myspace music has become a different ball game. There's so many fucking bands these days as someone said earlier in the thread it could be argued that we don't really need any more new bands. So, work hard, be smart, make a quality product and release your shit for free and you will find people chucking their money at you. If they don't, look at what you could do differently. Otherwise you forfeit your right to complain.

9. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Actually it's interesting you brought up threat signals (if I'm thinking of the right band that is!). Was he the one that did cool things if people donated to the making of the album? Like signing copies and writing special songs for people? I think that is a very, very cool way to raise money :metal:

10. Mordacain

And again, average income means nothing in terms of perception of wealth. Just saying however many people are under a certain threshold does not illustrate what those people's conception of wealth is.

Regardless, 100K a year is my personal benchmark so why does anyone care? Its only the level I set myself to where I feel comfortably doing nothing but creating music as a career and not feel compelled to look for another line of work. Its exceptionally limited in scope and its personally how I feel.

11. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

AMEN:hbang:

12. chronocide

EDIT: To Mordacain, folks be too sharp on the posting!

Aside from it being monstrously unrealistic, it just seemed somewhat condescending to people who make music for a full time living and who are successful since it made your post read like it's not worthy of being a full time occupation unless you're earning a serious amount of money more than they do. I don't that was your intention, but it certainly came across that way to me (and at least several others, evidently).

13. Scar Symmetry

Fuckin' A. As I said earlier it's a privilege not a right, these days moreso than ever. A lot of these bands needs to wake the fuck up and stop making fools of themselves publically.

14. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

this is like the dude from Disturbed complaining a while ago. You sell out arenas on the reg, dude. be thankful. very thankful.

15. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Josh Freese did something like that for one of his solo albums, although the rewards for donations got to be extremely ridiculous (i.e. doing acid and playing mini-golf with him and Maynard from Tool).

16. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

were only 11 pages in on a topic were ever valid point has already been discussed on each side. Its only bound to repeat itself for 5-6 more pages.:lol:

I hope....

edit 12 pages:ugh:

17. Scar Symmetry

To elaborate on my own point further - a positive to come out of downloading is that it's become much harder for bands to cruise by in their careers and has encouraged people to work much harder. I wish that was the case in the film industry, it would make finding decent films much easier. Luckily I am good at picking films anyway, but my god there is so much shit released it's unbelievable. Here's to hoping.

18. fps

fps Kit

If you download an album for free and like it enough to listen to it more than once without then buying it, then any justification you have for doing so is self-serving nonsense.

19. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Everything is said already, I just wanted to point out one more little detail, as some obviously dont get it:

Ever thought about that if you STREAM a track (best example, on youtube) where its legally available, you are actually helping the artist? Every visible click counts. Hell, our record got downloaded over 30.000 times...our vid on youtube has just a bit over 1.000 hits...if people would have streamed it on youtube, and it would show 30k views, we would get on better tours, bigger gigs inside of our country, easier onto gigs in foreign countries, better slots on festivals, even endorsements are possible with just enough youtube-hits...

20. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

you're right it is relative. however i can't agree that the guy at mackee's is fortunate to be where he is. he is unfortunate, but not as unfortunate as a disabled person who has no home.

whereas randy is lucky to be where he is. maybe his situation isn't quite as good as he'd like, but i'd say it's pretty damn good. you know?

did they do the 'wall of death' when you saw them? that's asking for some pretty serious violence. i saw them in tampa, but i was hammered so i'm not going to lie and say i remember if he did a lot of "c'mon motherfuckers don't be pussies" stuff.

but just because it's metal doesn't mean someone has to get their head kicked in. there are little kids at those shows. every so often i'll get in a pit, but i mostly i like to watch the guitarists so i can see what they're doing.

mustaine used to get fucked up and start shit too. i just think it's wrong.

actually randy reminds me more of anselmo.

don't get me wrong. i love log. i've loved them since i heard them the first time. the guitarists are awesome. just... idk. i loved metallica for a long time, too. i think it hurts worse when someone you respect does something that seems fucked up.