Randy Blythe (LOG) - Online Raging via Twitter

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Or throw it up on the site where everyone else downloads things, just host it for the first 48 hours and after that you're set.

2. EdgeC

EdgeC Songs in C#

I would not work for nothing. But the moment my job or the industry I work in becomes redundant (for whatever reason) I no longer am able to get paid for my job so I need to find another source of income.

Again I do not advocate music piracy but, as has been said before, due to technology (and the abuse of said technology) the industry is fast becoming redundant. Artists are entitled to profit from their product but albums sales may no longer be the way to make an income but perhaps more of a marketing tool to get people to shows, sell merch etc.

Take Free to air TV. I am a Rugby League fan and we get 3 games a week on free to air TV. But the game makes it's money off sponsorships, crowd attendance, club memberships and merchandise. Even though the actual product, being the game, is free for me to enjoy.

3. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

So you want people to change their expectations because other people refuse to refrain from illegitimate acts. I am going to start serial mugging people, but they should just adjust their expectations and carry less around in case of the advent that I decide to mug them. I am not doing anything wrong afterall, I think that not mugging is an old and outdated system which needs to be adapted.

4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

^^ Exactly, why would you work for something knowing you won't make money doing it?

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yes I do because it's realistic. What stops anyone from downloading anything they really want.

Nothing.

6. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Guys, I understand what you're saying but just assume, for the sake of argument, that you sold a million copies of an album. You would not be able to host that sort of volume on mediafire or any other free hosting site purely due to the volume of traffic you'd generate. Those things work for your general inhouse project because volume is low.

Replace the current system with an all home-brew system (again, purely for the sake of argument) and then ramp up the numbers. That is what you'd have to consider when planning in making a self-funded music career where you could afford to live off of album sales.

I've already explained that torrents are not a viable distribution method for a retail product. The only retail product I've seen use one was World of Warcraft and they don't use a torrent distribution method anymore because of the amount of backlash from the users (and that was a torrent network numbering in the millions).

7. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Stealth, you are correct, but that is a side effect of moral bankruptcy.

8. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yup and it's unfortunate, but I don't see the logic in wasting time trying to get people to have morals. I think we all know something needs to change, but what...nobody knows quite yet :(

SirMyghin likes this.
  9. Osiris

Osiris SS.org Regular

Then again if you're so big a band that you can sell a million copies, you'd probably have a record deal and affording bandwidth probably wouldn't be an issue. You could always find a way to offer your music for free. And have a little donate button.

10. Mordacain

Currently, maybe. I seriously doubt the few people that the RIAA sued the hell out still download things illegally (not that I condone that in the least).

The RIAA has been waging war against piracy and lobbying the hell out of Washington ever since piracy became easy with Napster. Look at the results of that, there is essentially only one real viable peer to peer distribution method for illegal content now - torrents which are being targeted. As soon as the legislation makes hosting a site that enables distribution of trackers hosting illegal files punishable by jail sentences, you'll see the number of people willing to host such a site diminish. Without the network, you'll only have isolated networks that can't cause the widespread distribution you see today. The RIAA's plan is essentially a return to the minimal impact of person to person sharing (like taping a buddy's record).

The network is ultimately what makes piracy a viable threat financially. Cut the network off and you minimize the effect. In theory that could work, and it might. It certainly worked in the case of Napster, Kazaa and Limewire, all of which were gutted and shutdown eventually.

11. Mordacain

I think if I could avoid being signed, I would. There are plenty of successful acts that start their own labels just to retain ownership and creative control of their music.

To the other point, I personally would not give my retail product away. I'll consider various models when I actually release something. Hell, I might put out a high-quality B-Side version of my full album, but the retail product should be higher quality in my opinion, otherwise what impetus is there to buy it?

12. the fuhrer

the fuhrer SS.org Regular

I don't know about everyone else here but downloading an album cheapens the experience for me. I get excited about buying a new cd. I anticipate its release for weeks. When I get my hands on it for the first time I listen to it front to back several times. I take in every little detail. The few times I have downloaded something I shut it off the first time I hear something I don't like. I never give it a chance, why bother. I have gone back and found something that I downloaded years ago when I was young and discovered it was awesome. I just never cared at the time because I wasn't out of 10 bucks either way. Now days I buy music to support the artists I love but I also buy music because I enjoy the experience of it. I appreciate the value of a good album. I think that is whats missing today. The newer generations haven't had to wait for a cd they wanted. They get it for free the minute they want it. I remember begging my parents for l.d. 50 when it was released. The anxiety of waiting, hoping I would get it. I couldn't just hop on youtube and listen. The feeling I got listening to that for the first time at 15 after waiting weeks to get it will probably be one of the best musical experiences of my life.

13. Mordacain

There is certainly something to be said for waiting for the experience. Its like saving up for an expensive instrument. The waiting builds the anticipation to the point that when you finally obtain this object of desire its become something else entirely. The last album I felt that way about was probably 10,000 days. I remember getting that package and checking out Adam's crazy-awesome art design before sitting down to put the CD on....Its probably the last time I really pushed my old HiFi speakers as well and I loved every second of it. I intentionally don't listen to leaks or early versions purely to not spoil my ancticipation of an album (even if it is already bought and paid for on preorder).

14. the fuhrer

the fuhrer SS.org Regular

Hell yeah man, that's what its all about for me. I remember getting Behemoths Evangelion and reading all the liner notes. You can't download that stuff, definitely worth 15 bucks. I guess a lot of people don't have the appreciation for music and the artists that we do.

15. Mordacain

I think its all relative, really. For some people music is just a soundtrack to their lives. Personally its more of a religion to me;I have a reverence for albums that makes them basically holy works to me.

I see parallels to the idea of free music with the idea of free software. Don't get me wrong, I love free software and I use quite a bit of it. The authors can sometimes get by from ad revenue and other inbuilt revenue-generating features, but I have no problem for paying for quality software. I similarly have no problem with the shareware model or trial versions of programs to give me a taste of the program.

I just like to see people receive fair compensation for their work. When its an incredible work and a great contribution to society as a whole, that person should receive greater compensation in my opinion. I simply just can't understand wanting to deny an individual the fruits of their labors.

16. Osiris

Osiris SS.org Regular

Respect for the artist, liking the music, liking the physical cd/booklet/cover art, buying the album for a friend. If an artist is a big enough bro to be so humble to give away their product but accept donations, I'd be more compelled to donate/buy the album just from him being so generous.

Then again this isnt really a viable option for big record companies. I think itunes has the right idea, especially if they offer free listens to the music before you buy it.

17. DDDorian

DDDorian Mantis Toboggan, M.D Super Moderator

People cite a lot of different reasons (or, more often than not, excuses) as to why illegal downloading is a useful tool that empowers both the customer and the artist, but how many of them still ring true? Let's go over a few of 'em briefly:

• Illegal downloading isn't theft because I'm just making a copy! What you are stealing is an artist's intellectual property and their right to profit from it, not some physical object. You don't have to agree with the notion that artists have an individual right to protect their intellectual property but it's one that's enshrined by law in most countries and plays a very important role that reaches far beyond merits of music or other forms of entertainment media. (Also if I see anyone facilitating it here I'm gonna ban 'em for it. Just sayin'.)
    • Downloading a torrent is so much more convenient than dealing with the hassles of physical distribution! Six or seven years ago, yeah, maybe, but since then the media industry has made massive advances in legal avenues of digital distribution - the barrier to entry is way lower, online payment systems are simple and secure, the customer has more choice in terms of format/audio quality, you can choose to purchase individual tracks instead of full albums, and you can access these services from an increasing array of multimedia devices. The only convenience still unique to illegal downloading is that you aren't paying for anything, but even that can be nullified by the peripheral benefits that come with purchasing something legitimately through a well-featured DD platform - not music-related, but Steam is an excellent example of a DD platform that took a struggling industry (PC gaming) and turned it into a massive success and an invaluable tool for consumer, publisher and developer.
    • Downloading an album allows me to sample the music before paying for it. Why should I pay for music that I may not even like? First off, if you're on SSO and you still think you have discriminating taste you're kidding yourself:lol: Secondly, and more importantly, there are an increasing number of ways to listen to albums in their entirety for free that don't involve illegal downloads - there are officially-sanctioned pre-release streams, there are legitimate streaming services like Soundcloud or whatever, there are subscription-based services... fuck, even listening to ripped tracks on Youtube is a less damaging option seeing as bands at least have a little leverage if they wanna pull their stuff down. You can't expect all of these options for every release, naturally, but if people continue to support more legitimate means of sampling music for free then it becomes easier for artists to provide these services and can even allow them to profit without charging directly for anything.
    • Downloading an album allows me to stick it to those greedy dinosaurs at the major labels! Get with the times, grandpa! While it's true that the importance of record labels of all sizes has been diminished due to factors like the increasing affordability of home recording equipment and the ease of self-distribution via the internet, they still provide a multitude of very valuable services to those who want to make a living in the industry - they have access to a lot of promotional channels that are inaccessible to independent artists, they allow you to develop working relationships with others in the industry, they act as a gatekeeper to good music for a lot of people which helps your music get noticed over the crowd, and they can streamline the process of multi-platform distribution. What's more, today's musician is in a better position to negotiate a favourable contract than ever before; as the primary role of labels shifts from financing releases to distribution and promotion the amount of control they can reasonably exert over an artist is diminished, meaning that musicians have more creative freedom and are able to keep more of the money made from each sale. Theoretically, anyway.
    • Making a living through music is a stupid juvenile fantasy. Get a real job. The fact of the matter is that part-time musicians, even talented ones, will only ever be a fraction of the musicians that they could be if they were able to dedicate their full time and energy to bettering themselves and honing their craft, and anyone who says otherwise is probably in denial about what a mediocre musician they are. It only requires a very modest contribution from a very small number of people to allow someone the freedom to work on their music more seriously, which in turn results in better music for everyone, including the self-absorbed dicks who decides it's not worth paying for. Win/win!

Oh, and Lamb of God sucks, by the way.

GATA4 likes this.
  18. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Hey look dorian posted :wub: he should ban me, i deserve it!

19. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

/thread

For real. All other uses of "/thread", in this thread, are improper and unworthy.

20. Osiris

Osiris SS.org Regular

You say that like downloading an album is morally wrong and streams, youtube videos, bandcamps and soundcloud profiles offering music for free arent. If an artist throws his music up there for free then he probably doesnt care how you get his free music.

That said, I was listening to the Mastodon stream yesterday of Hunter and it rocked tits. Probably gonna buy Crack the Skye soon.