Randy Blythe (LOG) - Online Raging via Twitter

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Rick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Homebrew1709

Homebrew1709 SS.org Regular

I don't mean to come off as offensive, but this post sounds like a pipe dream. You can come up with any plan you want to have different pricing options for different levels of quality, etc. but the fact remains that pirating music is FREE! That's why people do it - because it's free, simple, and easy to get away with. Screwing over the artists and the labels is the effect, not the cause. Someone made an analogy to speeding earlier - driving faster than the posted speed limit is illegal, plain and simple. But it's easy to do without getting caught as long as you don't go overboard with it. Some people get in trouble for speeding and some DO get in trouble for pirating...typically when either is done egregiously, not moderately. You want people to pay for the music? Find a way to eliminate pirating.

2. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Averages mean shit, how many of those people have truly put the effort in to achieve their goals and craft a good career? How much of the populace works in a burger joint for life bearing their mistakes? The average is for the average, some folks just aren't 'average' enough to settle.

Church2224 and Stealthdjentstic like this.
  3. K3V1N SHR3DZ

K3V1N SHR3DZ EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

Horatio Alger?

4. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I don't advocate piracy at all. all of my posts in this thread bear witness to that as I've been one of the posters most vehemently condemning piracy. I am all for catching pirates and making them pay a fair price for what was stolen.

And my post is a dream; its how I would run my own show if (and when) I get around to releasing a self-produced album. I was merely showing what prices I deem fair to assess as the topic has come up that CDs are too expensive (which I agree with and is one of the reasons I purchase so few now).

5. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

i bought ashes, sacrament and killadelphia -- all nice and legal. i still think it's stupid for musicians to complain about this stuff.

the analogy sucks, because people who work at mackie dee's have a crap job for low pay. blythe does what most people wish they could do and is far above the poverty level. not only that, he gets a percentage from the sale of log's music, even though it's probably really small.

where's the gratitude? man, i wish people cared enough to download my stuff. oh, well. he's honestly not that tightly wound. and doesn't really care about his fans. otherwise he wouldn't instigate so much violence at the shows.

Scar Symmetry likes this.
  6. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

I'll throw a spanner into the works.... how about youtube? Is it wrong to watch a clip to a song or a TV show?

7. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

They're very grateful for the support of their fans, besides it's all relative. You could then argue that the guy at MacDonalds is lucky to have a job at all, and should not complain because people are worse off. Where does it end?

Randy does care about his fans, he's a pretty nice guy and having seen them live I don't know what you mean about the whole instigating violence thing. Besides, it's metal. :lol:

8. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

No because that's streaming, you're not actually in possession of the media. However, if the media was uploaded without permission then the uploader is at fault.

9. Mordacain

Legally, that actually depends on a few things. Depending on your country, its ok to post a clip you recorded yourself that was publicly available. I think in the US, its illegal period without permission from the original broadcast network (as far as TV goes).

With music, its fine as long as it is posted by the copyright holders (or their representatives). Basically, as long the artist made it available to you on that medium, then its fine.

Leaks and things unsanctioned by the artist are illegal, and generally are taken down pretty quickly once they are discovered.

10. EdgeC

EdgeC Songs in C#

So does that mean if I downloaded an album that was rubbish the artist should pay me restitution?

I don't advocate piracy at all but i've listened to some terrible music over the years and don't beleive that just because you're an artist you deserve to be paid for your work. That being said if you have something that people are willing to pay for then you are entitled to receive it.

Funny thing is though I remember seing LOG before Sacrament came out and I swear Randy said something along the lines of "we've got a new CD coming out, go buy it, download it or whatever just make sure you get it".

11. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

While I understand where you're coming from I think people aspiring to be musicians/against pirating need to simply realize times have changed and the old business model is no longer practical.

You will never convince people to pay for what they can have for free, especially if by taking said object for free there are no consequences for them personally. Sure they'll hurt the person that made it but really, nobody cares. You might, but you're in the minority.

If you are a working musician and actually expected to make decent money from album sales or something, I think you should re-evaluate your expectations, not very many people are going to be paying for something that's free to them.

Sure it's wrong but for a lot of people...

No consequence = No care.

12. Mordacain

I guess there is just a generational gap here that can't be overcome. When I grew up you had three options: listen to the radio, buy albums or record tapes of a friends' album. Personally, while I would use tapes to record albums, I'd erase them if I didn't like them and I always bought a copy of what I liked. I'd then make a travel copy (same thing I do today) while keeping the original safe. The beauty of that system was that the tape was inherently inferior to the original, so there was incentive to own your own copy.

How it stands today is that you can sample anything you like from Amazon, iTunes, Zune or any other online music store. The argument that you should be able to download the artists' work to try before you buy is null on its face for the reason that previews are available everywhere now, so there is no reason you'd ever get stuck with a turd.

13. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

How many of your are willing to go to work every day with the promise of being paid only to not get your cheque? That is effectively what anyone arguing that downloading music is saying they approve of. I am sure none of the people arguing for illegal file sharing will do it either, because hypocracy rules the game.

I don't work for free, I have been too smart for that since a very young age. I don't expect others to work for free either, because that is ridiculous.

14. Mordacain

Part of what we've been discussing here are ways of changing the system to make it a better one. There's no-one I've seen here advocating that the old system is perfect and we should just go back to that.

Stealing is not a system, its a violation of the system. People make justifications for that however they want, but what it really boils down to is that people don't really consider it wrong because they don't see firsthand the damage they do and because they personally don't get punished for it.

And just to dissuade the idea that you don't make money from album sales, lets consider Pink Floyd. They haven't toured for nearly two decades and have been able to live pretty well by most accounts on what would mostly be their back catalog (and savings of course). Bands just starting out don't make money touring, most are lucky to break even. You only start to make money from touring when you can play large enough venues to get more money per stop than what cost you to get there.

The long and short of it is this: musicians have to make enough money to live otherwise they won't be able to keep making music.

15. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I never said they don't make money from album sales, I just said people should stop having that expectations :)

Also, sure it'd be great if they could make money, but I'm just being realistic, you need a complete overhaul and charging money for the music isn't going to get you anywhere fast.

Like I said earlier, I really, really dig what RSF did by releasing the music for free then making it really easy to pick up a T-Shirt too.

16. Osiris

Osiris SS.org Regular

From a consumer standpoint, the increasing charge for bit rate seems pretty gay. Like the gayest idea ever. 96kbps is pretty darn bad too. I think a more humble and fair-ish idea would be offer the album in 320kbps and flac for download and have the donate button next to it like Keith Merrow did. If my band ever gets any decent recordings we're going to do this.

17. Mordacain

I just don't see how one can viably not charge for music. Even doing everything yourself, you still have an overhead for recording costs and production, not to mention manufacturing. There's also the server costs if you want to host your own files.

I like that services like Bandcamp are starting to crop up that make it easier to distribute your own music, but its still very limited exposure and just one measure individuals can use to distribute their music and still get some kickback while not having to cover the distribution costs themselves.

I suppose personally the concept of not paying for something I enjoy, that I know someone poured their heart, soul & time into is just not a compatible idea. To me its like taking advantage of welfare, disability or some other social program; its just not something a decent, upstanding citizen does and if everyone did it, the system would breakdown and then it wouldn't be there for those who truly need it.

18. Mordacain

You do understand that server costs are higher for a higher quality file because the file itself is larger right? If you host your own files, you'll have to recoup that cost somewhere and its not going to just magic itself into your bank account.

There always the option of using torrents as distribution method (which I would do for 96K to offset server fees for the free medium) but that's not a reliable distribution source for a retail product and you'll still have to have a server seeding the file to guarantee availability.

19. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yeah but how are you going to get around downloading? The internet isn't just going to stop existing. :shrug:

20. Osiris

Osiris SS.org Regular

Host it on mediafire then link to it