Randall Satan 4k UHD Demo Videos

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JasonRossProductions, Feb 9, 2015.

1. JasonRossProductions

JasonRossProductions Member

I just finished converting everything in my studio to 4k UHD so I can shoot cool videos like this one and future projects/gear demos that will be even cooler! Check it out!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIvBljg5UY

2. col

col blah.

Sounds good! But like every other demo I've heard, it also sounds exactly like an Engl Savage. Would you say that's accurate in reality?

3. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

That sounded sweet man.

Also it's funny you bring that up col. I remember watching a video where Ola says he really likes the ENGL tone but something was missing from it (I dont remember what he said) which is why he wanted the Satan :lol:

4. 155

155 SS.org Regular

there is no way to hear the tone of the amp right there wayyy to over produced....

5. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

Yeah I hate it when people put amps with crap like "other instruments." People need to play the amp raw with no band because that's what 100 watt amps were made for: playing alone at home.

[​IMG]

6. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

The amp sounds good, but that song...LOVE it!

7. 155

155 SS.org Regular

dont call it a amp demo call it a song your working on......the video is cool as hell the song is cool but its not an amp demo IMO...had he gone to the dry tracks then yes.....who am I anyway....

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Computer couldn't handle 4k UHD, had to *settle* for 1440p :lol:

Great demo!

9. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

i wanna hear this amp pump out some brutal death metal tones

10. protest

protest SS.org Regular

You're right, it's a cool video with the amp, not an actual amp demo. It's still a very nicely done video and track though, just not what I was expecting.

11. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Apparently, At The Gates is using them on their North American tour as Randall is sponsoring them. There's a few Canada dates. I ripped them (Decibel Mag) on facebook because there are ZERO south east US dates. Not even in Florida. EPIC FAIL. But for those who do get to see the very few dates available, it's likely you can hear the Satan smash your face in live.

12. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Out of curiosity, what are you using for filming? GH4?

13. JasonRossProductions

I haven't played an Engl Savage so I wouldn't be able to tell you. Although other Engl's I have played have a similar sound.

Thanks for the complements and discussion everyone! The what is a "demo" I guess is subjective to everyone. For me personally I look for the final product, what this thing sounds like in context to a band I am recording with or playing live because I am in the business of making and selling music. If the final product is not what I want it to sound like, I probably won't use or buy it. But what I consider a demo might be different than others. When you hear a raw track of a guitar amp through a mic, you are not hearing the actual amp because even mic's like an sm57, the preamp for the mic, the conversion for your DAW or computer, the DAW, cabling, ect. color and focus the signal to something that can be entirely different than what you are acoustically hearing (and almost always is). I look at it as trying to get an amp to sound the best it can instead of letting the signal chain color it into something nobody will end up using who really wants a beast of an amp to sound the best it can. So I it's really a debate between a colored bare signal, or maximizing potential of a product? But I will make some raw demos of amps/guitars/gear with a couple of different mics and a mono signal to make everyone happy because my way isn't what everyone looks for, and thats cool!

I film with a Sony A7s and a Atmos Shogun external recording monitor (for 4k). Still learning this 4k stuff because it has a lot of challenges and not a lot of learning resources other than trial and error.

14. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Well, it was a Demo of what you use the amp for. And I enjoyed watching it, so call it whatever you want man.

15. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

From the couple of Kemper profiles I've played of the Satan, it's drier and crisper even when you crank the gain than an ENGL, which I suspect has something to do with the KT88/6L6 combo. There are definitely some similarities in the tightness of the mids and lows though.

16. col

col blah.

What Engl are you comparing it to since Savage is a lot drier and crisper than say a Powerball?

17. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Yeah, I meant the Savage. Also bear in mind that the Satan has independent gain controls for the high end and low end, so you can make it sound like a fuzzy doom amp or a plexi if you use those controls creatively. Can sound like a completely different beast depending on what you do with it.

18. Chrisjd

Chrisjd Banned

I dig it. Is it just me, or is this amp super dry? I wasn't hearing much saturation here. Could also just be your settings.

19. JasonRossProductions

20. Gum Guzzler

Gum Guzzler Banned

Great tone, awesome playing skills! Please do a brutal death metal test for us. Lots of Palm mutes and pick attacks. I'm a Rythym player, zero leads. I wanna hear some chuga chugs with this amp. You definitely shown us how versatile this amp is! Please do this for us. Thanx! :shred: