Randall RG3003H for modern metal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I agree the 8100 is better (I had one for several years) but I just meant that the Mode Four was the last 'new' model ss head (not counting the Code & MG amps).

edit: I think it was an 8100... It could also have been a VS100... it's been a good 15+ years since I sold it, so it's hard to remember exactly.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I never tried the VS100, but I loved my 8100. I sold it because I went full digital and sold all my amps and Torpedo Live. I really wish Line 6 did more SS amps on Helix. I'd kill for a T2, V2, and 8100. :(

3. Spinedriver

I found pretty much the only picture I ever took of the rig I had at the time and it was indeed an 8100. I got it in '97 or so for (I think) $299 at a pawn shop. I traded in a Marshall Mosfet 100 to get it and oddly enough, paired it with a Peavey 1x15 cab and used it as a bass rig for the band I was in at the time.

Years later, I ended up selling it off to get an Ampeg SVT200T because I had joined a new band and the old 8100 couldn't keep up. In the old band, the guitarist was using a Marshall combo amp & in this new one, the guitarist had a JCM800 and a 4x12 cab, so playing bass through a 100 watt ss guitar amp (although it sounded awesome) just didn't have enough volume to hand with him & the drummer.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Mosfet actually seems like a cool amp. The opposite of the 8100. It's a SS amp, but it's more of a JCM800 clone while the 8100 is pure brutality. :lol:

I think it would be cool to have the best of both worlds. the 8100's pre section and the Modefour's 350w power section. Or a class D 500w+ power section.

5. Spinedriver

The issues I had with the Mosfet were that a) it wasn't very loud and b) it really didn't have enough gain for my liking. Granted, at the time it never occurred to me to put an od in front of it like you would a real JCM 800 but I don't know that even that would have helped it. It was the 1st amp head I had ever bought, it had "Marshall" on the front and it was only $199 or $299 (it was 25 years ago, so the memory's a bit fuzzy ;) ), so I wasn't super critical when I first got it. After a while though, once I joined a band, I found I had to crank it almost all the way up just to hear it over the drummer. Looking back, it could have been the 1x15 cab I was running it through but I don't think it was because it's the same cab I used with the 8100 and it handled that one like a champ.

Also, given the trend of "pre amp" pedals, just imagine if Marshall issued a small set of a JCM800, Silver Jubilee and 8100 pedals. For $300 or less, those things would FLY off the shelves.

6. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

You guys making me feel like a jerk for selling my V2, but running my Ceres into a Headrush frfr weighs like 40lbs (just the head, no cabinet lol) less and tonally made the V2 into a chump *shrug*

Recently I was about to cave and get a Victory Super Kraken... But why would I do that when I could just buy the preamp pedal and run it into a powered cab?

So yeah, seems to be the way forward with solid-state. Would be nice to see smaller, high powered SS heads though. Gonna hang onto my stupid Crate Powerblock until I die I swear

Spinedriver likes this.
  7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Aw, I’m gonna have to fire up my old valvestate head this weekend. It’s just been sitting for ages. It’s the 8080 combo I cut into a head (so basically an 8100 but only 80 watts).

It’s got a cool 90’s sound to it but I mostly use my Recto or Recto models on my axe FX so I’m used to big bass, and the valvestate almost has negative bass in comparison.

It does sound killer slaved into my 2/50/2 power amp though. I believe the tube is only used as a cathode follower before the tonestack so I wonder if anyone would even notice if you changed that to a lower voltage jfet, and then just built the preamp into a pedal.

8. Spinedriver

Don't feel bad at all. I used to have a solid state SVT200T and the thing weighed at least 50 lbs and most of it was the transformer on one side, so it was a serious pain to lug around. Years later I ended up with a 500 watt MarkBass head that's 7 lbs. Does it look as cool, maybe not but at the end of the day, music is about the sound not the looks.

I remember years ago when I first got my Pod XTL, there weren't that many options for power amps. There was the Rocktron Velocity, the RealTube Mosvalve (which I got) and not much else. That's why the Crate Powerblock sold so well. 160 watts in a tiny little head that you could either run pedals into or a modeler into the fx return. It only took 10 years but it seems that with all of the floor processors coming out (Headrush, Mooer GE, Zoom, etc..) it only makes sense for companies like Quilter & others to make small clean power amps for people to use with their pedals.

All the nostalgia for the ss heads is just that. Maybe they'll come back in fashion some day but for now, it really wouldn't make sense for a company to dump a ton of money into designing a ss head, just for it to not sell.

Case in point, the Boss Waza. Granted the price tag was probably what kept it from selling but it was a major disaster for Boss but they seemed to recover with the Katana line. Perhaps after witnessing that amp tank, it just scared off others from taking the risk.

0rimus likes this.