Ran guitars - any news?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Matze, Sep 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Matze

Matze SS.org Regular

Since the thread in the 7 string section was closed i need to ask if someone got news? I just realized a few days ago that something must be wrong with my order. Dariuz wasn't/isn't responding to any e-mail anymore. I never got informed what's going on with Ran guitars. I ordered 16 month ago an paid a deposit of 1800 euro!!! I don't care about excuses. Obviously he took orders and money even when he knows he will never start building them. In fact he ripped off ppl and there is no excuse for it. I paid a lot of money just to get nothing, that really pisses me off! And even if there is almost no chnace to succeed I will go to a lawyer next week.

2. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

You're unlikely to find news here, topic was closed for a reason. Contacting your lawyer is the right thing to do, but there's nothing we can do for you here.

narad and JustinRhoads1980 like this.
  3. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

4. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Though I'm happy to continue ridiculing the brand if that makes anyone feel better.

Velokki, StevenC and Hollowway like this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

So what happened?

Did the guy just up and ragequit, leaving prepaid orders outstanding?

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Well @narad was really mean to them, so to spite him, they just closed up shop.

J/K

Supposedly they were moving shop and in the process shenanigans happened and thus they have ceased to be.

This is, of course, not at all verifiable and cobbled together from various social media posts.

StevenC, narad and Hollowway like this.
  7. Matze

Matze SS.org Regular

Yeah, he's bankrupt and all paid deposits are lost. He didn't say a word to most customer and he's not responding to emails or phonecalls anymore. He wrote a guy months ago that everything stopped because he's bankrupt and his staff moved away.
    Imo a reckless guy never said sorry for that and the loss of a lot of money for some customer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Some would argue that reckless is giving €1800 to a builder as a deposit where your only means of communication is long distance emails...

Just sayin’

Going out of business can be unfortunate rather than reckless, and whilst it’s sad that you’ve lost your deposit, it sounds like the company owners have lost their livelihoods.

Koloss85, Zhysick and possumkiller like this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Not even letting people/customers know what happened is really messed up. I noticed there's also no update or indication on the website, plus there is still a custom order form on it too. I wonder if you did a custom order whether or not you'd get a reply or not. You could then send them a summons, I mean a "deposit". I'm so glad I barely missed having enough for my deposit about a month before this all went down. I would have been screwed. Sorry to hear it happened man.

Koloss85 and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Ran is sadly dead forever, its owners are almost too, huge depression according to what they told me. Skervesen tried to help and took the smaller deposits so as the materials from the seized factory to continue some projects. It's all a mess but they took a few bad decisions in the worst time scenario and that led them to ruin. I wish they'd get over it but I'm afraid the debt is too big, don't know. Dariusz last words for me were optimistic about the insurance giving them some money to at least give back the deposits to everybody, but I'm not sure that can even be possible.

11. crackout

crackout The King In Yellow

So he took the money and RAN.

MikeH, Viginez, Koloss85 and 8 others like this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

They really RAN the company into the ground.

MikeH, Viginez, Koloss85 and 10 others like this.
  13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

That's what people are doing with most e-retailers nowadays. Ran has been in business for more than 10 years with a lot of guitars sold, many people here got crushers over the years and I don't recall any special horror stories before they went bust. As far as reliable small brands go, Ran was with those.
    Besides, Poland is in the EU, in case people have forgotten, so there are legal recourses if you live inside.

Merrekof likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

What is the legal recourse available in the EU?

In the United States, if a company folds and files for bankruptcy those out money are paid via the sale of any business assets available to be liquidated with certain creditors taking priority.

As for risk, there's always risk. Was RAN, from the outside, the biggest risk? Didn't seem like it. But whenever you deal with small businesses you're pretty much rolling the dice. Adding complications such as distance compounds that risk.

15. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Legal recourse is available, of course, but thing is that typically the state takes precedence over any other creditor, suppliers are next in the list, and only then will the end customer enter the equation, so unless someone is privy to the whole ordeal, there's no way to tell whether people will ever see a dime back after the liquidation of assets takes place to begin with. What was actually the cause behind the closure? Anyone know the actual reason?

16. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

1800 euro warrants a baseball bat purchase and personal visit to Warsaw or whatever hovel Darisz is hiding in. He needs to get kneecapped for this.

Koloss85 and Matze like this.
  17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

RAN was an eyeopener that a business with a history of good communication and build times can even go down. We are so used to seeing good builders destroy their business from their own incompetence or cowboy builders go down cause they sent out s**tplanks.

Did the Skervesen take on many of the builds?

Alex79 and c7spheres like this.
  18. Matze

Matze SS.org Regular

In fact it's sad that Ran had to stop business for whatever reason it was. But you can't find anything in the web why and what causes him to stop. There is no communication at all. Wether personally with customers who are affected nor via any social media. We don't know for sure what was going on there. But what I rellay don't understand is the fact that he is playing dead and there is no way to get in contact with him and no information at all. In addition to that he accepted orders and deposit payments from customers knowing he will never craft those guitars. And that's a no go and for sure criminal in poland as well as in other countries and not excusable. Maybe ppl wouldn't be that pissed if they would get honest words about waht's going on.

c7spheres likes this.
  19. Matze

Matze SS.org Regular

True words. And yes they did a great job in the past 10 yrs no doubt about it. And that's why ppl don't understand how he manages with customers now. You don't think about big risks if everything in the past 10 yrs was absolutley fine. There where never a reason to not trust his business. I don't know hoe many projects Skervesen took over. But I think they just took those with smaller deposits and I think they didn't accept any project due to special specifications and shapes they don't build.

20. MaxOfMetal

Memories are short.

Ten years ago, and even a little more recently in fact, RAN was known for being the morally dubious creator of known Trademark/Copyright infringing guitars, purposely undercutting said rights holders. Now I sound like @narad.

Additionally, there were documented reports of less than stellar guitars being made by them. I remember the user with the messed up Vs.

It wasn't until they started the semi-production Crusher models that their reputation took off significantly.

I don't think they were outright scammers, nor the biggest risk, but let's not revise history.

AxeHappy, ArtDecade and StevenC like this.