Ragnarok or warlord

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Wc707, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

I've got a mahagony 6 string schecter blackjack and it's got a JB8 [I put the al 8 in to remove the shrill upper mids and it helped] in the bridge. it doesnt have the growl when chugging or clarity I'm looking for when doing 5 or 6 string chords.

I find the bkp ragnaroks to have a nice, chunky sound I like, as well as the guitarmory warlord as a more affordable option. I'm trying not to let cost become a huge factor and focus more on quality and happiness to my ear.

I tried a Dmz titan and although it had awesome clarity, it was too articulate and didnt work with my caveman picking [I pick hard] and ended up sounding too clicky with every stroke. I know the periphery boys have similar taste in pickup sound, so I thought the titan would work well but it just didnt sound right in my guitar.

I emailed BKP and they had recommended the Aftermaths but they just didnt have the sound I was looking for.

Anyone have any experience with the rags or warlords, or have any suggestions?

I play metal, djent, pretty much just gojira and a lot of periphery. I'm running it into overloud th3 metal mainly, and occasionally use a Peavey JSX 2x12 combo when I wanna shake the house. Guitar lives in Drop C

Thanks for your opinions.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I love the Ragnarok bridge for its chugs plus it has the best split sound of all humbuckers I've played so far. That said, I love the Titan bridge as well although I'd agree that it's significantly less versatile...

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I'm not really a fan of the ragnarock but it could work for you.
    Guitararmory is getting a lot of hype recently. Although whether they are actually good or the ole it's cheap and I know one guy online who said they are good is up in the air.

4. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

RAGNAROK

Spicypickles likes this.
  5. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

A Lundgren M6 would be my top recommendation, though based on your criteria the Ragnarok sounds like it's what you're after.

6. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to try and give the Lundgren a listen and see.

Only thing I'm a little turned off by the Rags are how hard I pick and the clicky result on chugs the titan had.

Any thoughts on the Pegasus for this kind of music? A lot of people recommend you have an OD with it to give it some better edge.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

guitarmory makes legit good stuff imo

8. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

I have a GOC 7 string coming in soon and I went with the Warlord set.

Big chunky pickups seem to not be getting much love these days :(

But the Duncan Custom 7 and the X2N are my all time favorite buckers out of the 20-30 ones I've tried over the years.

I'll be sure to chime in (maybe start my own npd thread) when I get em.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

Rag or an M6. I really like the Ragnarok for chunky rhythm stuff.

10. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

I think the Ragnarok’s would work for you. I have them in a drop c guitar and they work well. The Aftermath is more articulate and sounds better IMO but does pick up more pick attack. I run my Aftermath’s a little lower because of this.

I am really digging my Guitarmory Atlas’s right now. They really do make great pups. The Warlord is on my list to try next time they go on sale. Maybe you roll the dice? GM pups are the best for the money right now IMO (I just get the plain ones). My favs, so you know my tastes, are the M7, Aftermath and Atlas right now.