Radial Headbone amp switcher

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by FILTHnFEAR, Feb 15, 2018.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I'm really thinking about picking this up soon. I'd prefer to have a Boss ES-8 or Ground Control Pro but they aren't really in the budget with everything else I'm doing gear wise ATM. I already have 2 identical H&K heads to play through(one for gain one for clean) so why not, right?

Who's used them? Is there any noticable lag time or added noise involved? I know the ad says a few milliseconds swich time IIRC, but who has first hand knowledge?

Is the build quality worth the $260 price tag?

Let me know guys.

2. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Had one about 5 or 6 years ago, great bit of kit. They have a lag, but nothing that isn't much like switching a channel on a amp. There is a little added noise from what i can remember, but only if running your gain at two thirds or more with a OD or Boost before it.

And remember, you will do your amp that isn't active damage if you run any FX in the loop, so all your effects will have to be all in the preamp. Ideal if you have a pair of old single channel Marshalls with no loop into a 4X12 with a handful of pedals before the signal hits the pre amp. Not great with a pair of Mesas with delay and chorus soaked loops.

It is worth the price tag, well worth it if you are able to use it the way its meant.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The only ABY I'd use (and do use) is the Nerd Knuckle Lip Splitter. For it's price, options and build quality, there isn't a better ABY on the market.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  4. FILTHnFEAR

How would it damage the amp if used in the loop? That's kind of a deal breaker as both amps I'd want FX in the loop. Damn.

ESPImperium likes this.
  5. FILTHnFEAR

I forgot about the Nerd Knuckle. Heard of it a while back. Need to look into it some more.

Right on!

6. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Read the manual: http://www.tonebone.com/pdfs/manual-headbone.pdf (Page 8 & 11, 4th Question)

Its all to do with signal still being generated in the loop, giving an echo. Unless you are running it with a RJM Switcher System or GCX/GCP system where the effect can be turned off via MIDI id say don't try it.

Its a deal breaker for me, but id rather have a good versatile 2 channel amp and 15 pedals in front of me now anyways.

7. FILTHnFEAR

I have 2 really versatile amps, I just figured it would be cool to have one for cleans and the requisite pedals

8. FILTHnFEAR

*Oops, posting from my phone.*

and one amp for gain with it's pedals. Cheaper than the midi switching systems I'd really like, but Headbone doesn't sound like what I really want/need atm.

Thanks for the help ESP. Are you by chance using a midi switching system?

9. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

Was back then, now i have now changed my rig totally and will shortly be returning to MIDi, but with one great amp and 16 odd pedals.

Back then i was going to be using one good amp, and one that is okay in a Mesa F30 and a Egnater Tweaker. Now Im going with a Mesa Mark V 25 or a Peavey 6505 MH if i need that sound, but mostly the Mesa. All i want now is to run 1 amp at a time with FX MIDi switching with my RJM Mastermind PBC.

Hopefully, this weekend ill get my pedalboard wired up, and things starting to come along to where i need them.