Quick question about Bernie Rico Jr...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Rev2010, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Metastasis

Metastasis Member

2 months ago, bernie made a couple biches and mockingbirds (the bcr shapes, not an altered/interpreted version). They cost around 3500$

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

In that case he was contracted out by B.C. Rich (from which he has no affiliation) in order to "ghost build" some classic B.C. Rich designs for a special series. If I remember correctly. It was actually brought up in a thread recently.

3. aleXander

aleXander BlackByPopularDemand

BRJ is the son of the original creator of B.C. Rich if I remember correctly.
    So I'm sure there's no issue of copying a Bich guitar

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's not quite how it works. For instance Floyd Rose sold his designs and trademark to Fender, so theoretically, if Floyd had a son who wanted to make trems, he couldn't just copy his fathers designs as they belong to Fender. Something similar has happened with B.C. Rich and Bernie Sr's designs.

If you want a high end, USA custom shop Bich take a look at Moser Guitars as Neal Moser is the one who designed the Bich shape.

The Hanser Music Group (the same folks who own/operate Kustom, Traben, Micheal Kelly, Rockfield and others) owns B.C. Rich and there for the rights to the trademark B.C. Rich guitar shapes.

As of 01' no member of the Rico family has anything to do with B.C. Rich in a meaningful way. Though, as showcased earlier, B.C. Rich has hired Bernie Rico Jr. on at least one occasion to make some special runs of guitars. This is a practice known as "Ghost Building" where a builder produces guitars under contract and puts the contractees name on the headstock and not their own.

5. aleXander

aleXander BlackByPopularDemand

Fair enough, I didn't know that nobody from their family doesn't have anything to do with B.C. Rich anymore.

I stand corrected =D