Quick improv with my Schecter Omen 7 and UX1

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Chox, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Well, haven't had much time to play (or post) lately, but I managed to find an hour to record a quick improvised track with the Schecter Omen 7 I picked up a couple weeks ago.

Criticisms are most welcome as I don't have a lot of musician friends to give me feedback.

Whether it's tone advice, or things to work on in my playing, I'm all ears.

Soundcloud HERE

2. House74

House74 Perfect Djentleman

was gonna check it out but it keeps saying there is an error playing the track?

3. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Shouldn't be an error - It's played fine.

I'm not sure what the issue might be.

4. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Also, I'd greatly appreciate any production/recording tips. This is all new to me and I know very little about producing music.

I'd love to make future tracks sound more "professional".

5. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

No comments or suggestions/criticisms?

6. zman5999

zman5999 Member

As far as technicality goes, your playing is great and everything's in time. From a listening/artistic/subjective perspective, your riffs are really good and the lead lines are catchy. However, it would be even better if you fleshed out some of the ideas and maybe developed them a bit further. Once again, I really enjoyed listening to it, but some of the lead lines and riffs got a bit repetitive after awhile. Maybe try extending some of the lead lines and riffs and make them longer before they repeat? Good luck and great job!

7. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Cheers for the critique :D

Yeah, I need to spend some real time writing things, the "Qualify for Survival" I literally threw together in an hour. I'm sure I could vary things more, and develop things further if I spend some real time on it.

"Rabbithole" I spent again about an hour recording, then a couple of hours tweaking volumes and so on in Reaper. I'm completely new to recording and stuff so I'm slowly learning things :).

I'll keep your advice in mind, thanks again!

8. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Also, Qualify for Survival was played with a Schecter Omen 7. Rabbithole was played on an Ibanez RG8. Both stock guitars.

9. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Rabbithole could evolve into something mystically alluring.
    However, your use of too many repeats in the multitap echoes clutters my perception of melody and intended harmonies.

In Qualify for Survival, I think you should drop the pinches - especially the one around 00:20.
    The long passage from ~00:40 to ~1:07 constantly makes me wait for the solo. Which surely comes in just after; it's just a Bit too long of a wait.
    So, methinks you could maybe use this long pre-solo passage with some longer-sustained slower solo sequences, leading up to the real solo part.

10. Kittenflower

Kittenflower SS.org Regular

I took a quick listen so I can't comment on composition, but your metal tone is pretty good imo. To boost your productions, double track your guitars and pan them left/right. Should flesh out your sound a bit more :)

Also, I used to do a really cheap bass sound by recording a bass line using a regular guitar, with a clean tone. Then in post-processing I'd digitally lower it one octave and EQ/compress it to hide the uglyness that usually results :p
    But it's a good placeholder and gives some compositional ideas if you don't own a bass. I did it in this little test track: https://soundcloud.com/headshock-1/swing-that-sword/s-aYktP Yeah I know it sounds bad :p

11. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Cheers for the advice guys! Much appreciated :)

I'll actually spend a bit more time on my next track, these two were done quite hastily.

12. GRIZ

GRIZ djentleman

plus one for the double tracked guitars

also i liked where rabbithole was going but i found the other song to be a little repetitive, but if you keep tooling around with the riff ideas and flesh them out a bit more it could be pretty cool.

all in all, definitely double track your guitars, it will make it sound really good and fill in some of the "space" in your tone.

keep practicing/writing/pushing your limits

13. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Thanks :) it's all new to me so I guess it can only get better :D

14. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

I tried double tracking my guitars as suggested but it just sounds overly fuzzy and distorted. I'm not sure how to fix it?

15. AxelKay

AxelKay SS.org Regular

Generally when you double or quad track guitars, keeping as close as possible ( I mean REAL close) to the click track is a necessity. Takes time to perfect, but the more you play along a certain beat, the better you become.
    Professional recordings on the other hand, isn't something you can master overnight. Don't get discouraged though, there's tons of info online and even courses you can take that would definitely help. Don't forget that recording/mixing/mastering is a whole industry!

16. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Yeah it's going to be a lot to learn, i still have a lot to learn about playing guitar too :D I want to put some sweeps in the track im working on, i can't sweep to save my life :D

17. AxelKay

AxelKay SS.org Regular

The key in life is to have faith in yourself and faith in what you do. Everything else is plain easy.

18. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

I agree mate, everything follows self-belief. Guess I'll be uploading a track with some nice sweeps soon ;)

19. GRIZ

GRIZ djentleman

bit of advice on sweeps. TAKE YOUR TIME and learn them the right way. there is nothing worse than bad arpeggios.

play them to a metronome when possible. you will thank me later

20. Chox

Chox SS.org Regular

Hehe yeah they are tough, this is why I've not used any swept arpeggios in my writing, however I was tooling around with a piece I was working on at the weekend, and it sounded really good with some sweeps in the right places. I can play them clean about 60-70% of the time, but when repeating them I tend to stumble.