Quick easy help for switching ( coil ) . Liberator installed

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by mrvomit, Jun 7, 2021.

1. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Hallo guys , i did let install a liberator Duncan on my rg7620 so i could install pickups i did buy ages ago ( d-sonic 7 and illuminator neck ) . The nice old tech did install it , no noise whatever , just a stupid thing , question :
    In the supposed "inner coils" position , it gets selected the INNER coil of the neck and the OUTER coil of the bridge , no "hum" though . So question:which DIMARZIO WIRE colors i have to reverse for the bridge ? And i suppose i have also to reverse neck pickup wire + orientation ( meaning reversing physically neck picup ) to avoid hum right ?
    With the liberator should be justa means to screw /unscrew the correct ones luckily ( i thought it was easier though, as space is so tight on cavity that is not a speedy thing..)

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

what do you really want to change?

if it's inner plus outer right now with no hum than those are the two coils that are set up to be rwrp.

if you want to change then you need to change both coils.

it'd be much easier to just physically flip the pickup.

mrvomit likes this.
  3. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

ty I want original configuration . inner coils on that position , rest as it is ( typical ibanez switch , all the 4 remaining positions are humbucker so it will not differ except for the hum which will let me reverse both wires and neck pu as said ) . D-sonic can be flipped but it's one of the few pickups that changes actually sounds if flipped! ( one coil is bar other coil has poles) .Not that i could not like but That's why i 'm asking the color swap ( i will try later on anyway) ..
    PS :LIBERATOR by DUNCAN is a little device that once installed lets you screw pickup wires instead than solder them , that's why i 've asked about which colors i have to swap! Cause i can do at home ( with a bit of attention )

4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Hey there! Before anything else, how are the pickups' lead wires facing the control cavity? I mean, when you look the guitar up front, how are the wires coming out of the pickups? I ask this because that is coordinated with the pickups' coil polarity. In order to have inner coils with hum canceling properties, the coils should be in alternate polarity from bridge to neck, like:
    • South, North (bridge pickup)
    • South, North (neck pickup)
    This means that the bridge's outer coil (near the bridge) is south polarity and its inner coil is north polarity. Same thing for the neck pickup, inner coil should be south polarity and neck coil north polarity... or the reverse way around, which also works as well.

DiMarzio pickups' color code is:
    • North coil Start - RED
    • North coil End - BLACK
    • South coil Start - GREEN
    • South coil End - WHITE
    • Bare wire goes ground always
    Please note that this "start" and "end" references are related to how the coil is wound and not to the electricity path. A regular/series DiMarzio humbucker wiring is
    • Regular phase
      • Possibility 1
      1. HOT signal - RED
      2. LINK BLACK and WHITE
      3. GROUND signal - GREEN
      • Possibility 2
      1. HOT signal - WHITE
      2. LINK GREEN and RED
      3. GROUND signal - BLACK
    • Reversed phase
      • Possibility 3
        1. HOT signal - GREEN
        2. LINK WHITE and BLACK
        3. GROUND signal - RED
      • Possibility 4
        1. HOT signal - BLACK
        2. LINK RED and GREEN
        3. GROUND signal - WHITE
    Please understand that all these possibilities WILL SOUND THE SAME when the pickup is isolated from any other sound source (another pickup). Reversed phase pickups are less appreciated and found to be nasal sounding. Generally, in order to mix inner or outer coils with hum canceling properties, one pickup is wired like Possibility 1 and the other like Possibility 2, or one with the 3rd and the other with the 4th. AVOID mixing possibilities in different phases so not to get unwanted reverse/out of phase sounds.

Regarding the D-Sonic pickup, the BAR coil is south polarity and the set-screw coil is North polarity. Looking at the Illuminator the same way, you can understand which is the North and south coils as well.

So, again, how is the pickups' orientation as for now? If you have the D-Sonic rotated (the bar facing the neck), then also rotate the Illuminator so you have that alternate coil polarity. If the D-Sonic is not rotated, do not rotate the Illuminator. It's this simple as far as the coil orientation goes. decide how the D-Sonic is installed, install the Illuminator accordingly and then come back to say which coil is working on both pickups.

mrvomit and BarryTone like this.
  5. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

thank you mate apreciated ! Maybe you ( VERY KINDLY) overcomplicated a bit giving to me a kind too extensive and complete scenario
    i 've thought that was a matter of just reversing the 4 wires of pickup south /north ( but asked as i'm a clumpsy one )
    I was thinking that i have to reverse red<-> black and white <->green of both bridge and neck (reversing neck to stay hum free due to different coil selected) ****************
    Am i right? could not figure else , the out of phase stuff or whatever is really too much to think about
    Though , is nice that with a "liberator" you can somehow do it in a solderless situation so i will try later on different stuff ( for now i would like to start with inner coils original situation ) .

More extensively:
    Since now i'm Hum Free in the "wrong configuration" ( inner coil of neck and outer coil of bridge which is not what i want nor is original ) i thought that i need to :
    1)Bridge : I just think that i need to screw the wire cables of the inner coil at the place of the outer coil
    2)Neck: reverse the inner /outer also AND ROTATE THE pickup to maintain hum free since i will use different coil-
    THAT THING I WAS somehow AWARE ALREADY ( sorry for the caps just want to clarify mate apreciate help very much ).

Just need to know if i have to simply to switch red<-> black ,
    and white <->green .

or perhaps i'm totally wrong and it' s more complicate than what i think so i will have to bring back , in that case My APologies it means i'm a dead case and will ask local help ^^
    . I did not try alone to mess with only cause screws and cavity space are thin and i 'm toying with pickups and guitars since i received yesterday i wasnt to play a bit with it.
    ________-
    (ps:side note : "d-sonic 7 noisy " as i did read here back then .. absolutely not my case , is dead silent in front of pc,monitor amp etcetc and my room is sure not an" electrical paradise ".. ,and neck pu of rg7620 is a very good one perhaps i preferr it more than illuminator it looks it split getting more diverse voicing where illuminator "stays"there .. but i need more time )

odibrom likes this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

Hey there. yeah, I thought that it would be nice to share a bit of the context.

You are right in saying that it's just a matter of swapping some wires around, BUT in order to really point you to the right direction, please give us a bit more context, hence my introduction and questions:
    1. how do you have the pickups installed? Is there one or are both rotated? - THIS is VERY IMPORTANT to pin-point your problem
    2. what coils are working in this desired switch position and which would you like to be working?
    3. what is the circuit like? How many pots and what do they do? How many switches.
    4. what's the switch like, is it a 3 way or a 5 way? What else is happening in the other switch positions. This is importante, because a change here will affect the other switch positions...
    If you reverse the wires in one pickup as you are saying, you'll get out-of-phase tones when mixing both pickups, so, please, indulge me and answer these questions. If in doubt, good quality close-up pictures also help.

Most of us know what a Liberator Pot from Seymour Duncan is. Although I don't use any, I use the same concept of having terminal blocks to connect the pickups' wires, I've been using them for more than 10 years already and they are fantastic for pickups and other components swaps without having to solder anything inside the guitar.

So, a fast reply is that you'll just need to swap some wires around, the question is knowing which so to match your desired set up.

I also used to have a D-Sonic 7 in one of my guitars and kind of liked it. I matched with an Air Norton 7 and it worked quite well.

mrvomit likes this.
  7. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Uhm my bad , i 've thought it was known stuff ( found info here on that forum actually back then about Liberator also i will tell you but my configuration but i think is not needed ) : i have a DEVICE ALREADY INSTALLED WITH SWITCHES AND POTS ALREADY CONNECTED, called Liberator ( Duncan) . it is a volume pot + a board that has screws for pickups .The tech had soldered the device to the 5-way ibanez switch and tone cap following the rg7620 diagram ( and the color conversion for dimarzio / Duncan since the device has duncan wire colors) . It is already connected ( and should be ok ) . In that device (board ), you screw your pickup wires and you can switch pickups without soldering them , leaving all the rest connected without to desolder anything .
    THat's why i started saying it was quick stupid which color to reverse /change . Guess the matter is far more simple than solder and connecting switches and so on.
    ____
    Since many here use ibanez i assumed it was largely known ( i did learn here after all , Lol) .As i said in one post , ALL CONFIGURATION of the 5 switch are humbuckers SAVE FOR 1 .Specifically :
    _______
    1)Bridge series - 2)INNER COILS of the 2 pickups ( the one i have it "wrong " at the moment cause instead it 's using inner neck+outer bridge ) -3) ALL pickups -4) Neck Parallel 5) Neck series
    No other switches / coil taps ( i had no idead of what to add preferred not to mess with) , just tone .
    D.sonic Bar is Facing Neck . Btw tech installed that way as he found on the net but i think he found info for 6 string, nothing wrong though, as when i 've tried it was really tight sounding. I will try to reverse bar though soon too , curious about .

There is not hum in the Outer coil Bridge +Inner Coil neck in that present ( "wrong" ) configuration , meaning if i reverse the wires the not present hum will appear so i would have to rotate /switch wires also on the neck . i need just to rotate Neck Pickup /OR reverse his wires .
    You are speaking , instead( if i get it right) about the all thing to wire which should not be need for .:
    And the stupid thing that still i don't know is if is correct the color swap i mentioned , lol . Damn too much time i don't write in english about tech stuff sure i did mess up in explaining well , thank for your time sorry i did try to explain as good as i could .

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    odibrom likes this.
  8. odibrom

odibrom .

@mrvomit OK, got it!... and I know what a Liberator is, there was no need to explain... My thing is that I feel if to be quite an expensive gadget for what it does. I can get the same by 1/10th of its value and choose the resistance and tapper of the volume pot, so more flexibility to me, yeah... hehehe

You have 3 options, depending on your preferences:
    1. Rotate the D-Sonic pickup so its bar coil is facing the bridge, don't mess with the wires, you're done.
    2. Rotate the Illuminator, don't mess with the wires and you'll have OUTER coils in position 2.
    3. Rotate the Illuminator and swap the wires on BOTH pickups, so to have INNER coils in position 2.
      • Neck pickup swaps
      1. Swap WHITE with RED
      2. Swap GREEN with BLACK
      • Bridge pickup swaps
        1. Swap RED with WHITE
        2. Swap BLACK with GREEN
    Let's see how to explain this, the way I figure, the wiring is correct for the option 1.
    • In order to have hum canceling properties with 2 coils, they should have opposite polarities, so if the Neck's Inner coil is SOUTH, the Bridge's must be NORTH.
    • It means that the HOT signal for the neck pickup is entering through the WHITE wire and exiting through the BLACK one. This will allow for the coil split at the position 2 of its SOUTH/INNER coil. The Illuminator is installed with its NORTH coil facing the neck, which is a pretty common install.
    • Since the D-Sonic is installed rotated 180º, it has its NORTH coil facing the BRIDGE, on the OUTER side. Hence it's OUTER/NORTH coil is working on position 2. This is wy I was asking for an orientation on both pickups, so I could know which coil is facing bridge and neck.
    1. For option 1, you'll restore the D-Sonic to the "designed" position, having it's North coil facing the neck. Since the Illuminator is "correctly" installed, you'll get the desired alternate polarity on all coils, which will allow you to have Inner OR Outer coils combinations with hum canceling properties.
    2. For option 2, you'll realign the desired alternate coil polarity on all coils, but get instead outer coils on position 2. The difference between one and the other is that the outer coils will have a more scooped tone to them, like a 2 singles telecaster-esque kind of sound with both pickups on, instead of the hum canceling middle single coil-ish kind of sound of the Inner coils. There's no better nor worst, only a matter of taste and if you feel adventurous, do experiment with it.
    3. For option 3, you'll realign the desired alternate coil polarity on all coils and redirect the HOT and GROUND signals on the pickups so the electricity travels through the desired Inner coils on position 2.
    • On both options 2 and 3, you'll keep the D-Sonic in its present install, on option 1, you'll change it. I remember trying to see what sounded better, if with the bar coil (south coil) facing the bridge or the neck. The difference is not that big, and specially not under high gain settings. It could compared to a bit more salt versus a bit more pepper, but I think I remember preferring the pickup with the bar coil facing the neck. I also rotated the Air Norton it was paired with so to access these Inner/Outer coils combos... but my guitars are crazy wired to say the least... a few of them give me all these possibilities... hehehe, which is brutal by the way.
    :::::::::::

I understand you may feel insecure on experimenting with different options from those the guitar came with, it's something natural. However, if you don't experiment, you'll never know how do Inner coils in SERIES sound like (the Ibanez wiring have them in parallel), or what outer coils sound like also in series... You see, one doesn't have to obey to the factory's wiring settings. Once the guitar is in your hands, you can do whatever with it, swap things around and so on. One of the cool things about changing electronic parts (which you already done with the pickups) is that it is completely reversible to the guitar's original state and it DOESN'T de-valuate it in case you'll want to flip it later down the road. Another GREAT thing about experimenting with electronic parts is that you can change drastically a guitar's tone, from fire to ice, from Summer to Winter and all in between.

I can't afford to have all the guitars I wish, nor to have a guitar just to achieve this or that kind of tone, so I started experimenting with testing different pickup wirings to understand how they could sound. I'm targeted by the timbre/tone towards this or that direction and this has been my research through the past years... I warn you, it's contagious. I've already contaminated a good friend of mine with this itch, so he ordered a custom guitar a year ago on a local builder (already delivered, I must say) with 3 humbuckers and "asked" me to draw him the circuit, which I did. That guitar delivers 1228 different coil combos, and if I had changed a few things, it could reach 3900 coil combos, just out of 6 single coils (2 per humbucker)... we kept things simple and decided to leave out-of-phase tones per pickup out of the equation...

So, this to say that, in case you'd want to expand the guitars output tones, take a peak at www.freewayswitch.com and look at their 5B5-01 blade switch. I'm using this particular switch in 3 of my guitars, 2 are double humbucker guitars and deliver 21 tones (they have piezos also) and the other is an HSH and delivers 73 (it has a middle single coil and I can manage the hums coils with 2 extra mini switches per pickup). All are completely reversible to their original and factory settings. The HH guitars don't have any extra holes in them and the HSH has a pickguard from factory (It's an Ibanez UV777P from 2000s), so problem there also. You RG7640 should have no problem receiving one of these switches if you're into experimenting...

Well, I hope this helped you clear your thoughts on the matter and understand why I was so eager to know how the pickups were installed and what the rest of the switch positions were doing.

I've personally moved away from DiMarzio and went into boutique pickups from local makers. They're just as good, can be tailored to our tastes and at a very competitive price tag... My latest find was Gorilla Pickups, from Rome/Italy, you should check them out.

mrvomit likes this.
  9. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Man Thanks , i really in theory know about all sort of sounds wil get moving coils , just asked about the color to swap and luckily this time someone (you ) wrote it lol. Thank you . Now gonna read it the rest you wrote , i felt already you hasd some crazy wireness ( more like whoreness at this point Lolz ) on your guitars , like ..simple for you : labyrinth nodes for me :coffee: v ^^ .
    ________
    And about the 1/10 price tag , yeah there are also on bay people who sell that stuff to do /it yourself ( pot with connectors ) Checked and my cavity would have had tough times and still i cant solder myself good tried years nothing to do woth tiny wires. Found liberator for 25 euros so i took 2 .
    boutique pickups are the realm of uncertainity if you did not hear before .they are about same price but who knows how they sound. you should check "mama "pickups too from italy . I got else but from bass ( much else actually in the years lol it was my main and did crazy stuff in bass techniques too lol)
    _____
    PS COMPLETELY OT : since we are in chat zone i 'm a bassist actually and it 's my main field though i retired there ( but its where i feel "bossy" still ) , i EXPERIMENTED THE SHIT there and found the pickup wiring was minor thing once you dialed with onboard boutique preamps ( on basses though , you use more swicthes to qct on individual pickups) , expecially with filter based pre.. ended uninstalling the filter ones as it was too much ( live was unpractical as they did not have "preset" ) but alwas kept my east preamps , which are in range of 200/250 bucks anyway , never understood why guitars went so different way insisting in pickups messing and not dialing onboard elsewhere too (not just with generic high/mid pot ) , but its soldi basepoint nobody can move on from .
    i Actually assure you that if you would dial with filters on guitar you could go crazy .. actually it's where every guy who has q-tuners should go , it's the reason q-tuners suck out of the box and people hate them . you have to shape them with filters .A fiddler of the wires like you would find some graals there .
    For guitar i do not dare , to mess with your stuff ,you have to master your instrument first .Not my case on guitars.
    ok gotta check the switch you mentioned ( which is what i would mess with /letting install if i want something more ) and else ,ps2:is it smooth that switch ?
    cause i like ibanez one is very easy /smooth to move , others i 've tried are quite more hard and did not like myself .
    OH ps.2):
    A little silly question :Liberator has an INSANELY hard volume pot and i can't anymore do "pinky volume" stuff , is it possible to smooth the volume pot somehow without to change it ? Tech advised me Strongly to do NOT mess with wd-40 spray and crc stuff as i could do damage in the long terms ( lol that tech is an old lonely guy who just love to be there with someone speaking to him , it's far more faster asking to you as i cant possibly stay there hours wioth him everytime telling me stories about old years ) . thank you!.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    odibrom likes this.
  10. odibrom

odibrom .

I'll reply later on when I'll get home... texting on my phone ain't productive...

Really fast reply, don't use WD40 on pots...

mrvomit likes this.
  11. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

ty , just toying with pus not doing mods right away , hope you get fun chatting about and not stealing your time , so please dig it if you want and when you want i already got my main question solved () except you GAS-ed me with the switch.. damn..) .
    So far i dig far less the illuminator than i 've thought .Pity i don't have a swap / change community here to deal , it's quite coveted (not bad at all , just i like as much as the original and the original has more charachter for me ,illuminator is more hiding sloppy playing on solos guess is quite darker , maybe i will swap for another bridge -i have 2 rg7620 actually ) .have a nice day ion the meantime!

odibrom likes this.
  12. odibrom

odibrom .

Hey there, back again, now with a keyboard under my fingers...

... errr... sorry about that switch GAS... I have no affiliation with the brand, but it's one of those things that give you a lot of options in just one package. Truly worth the price, imo. In the beginning they seem a little stiff, but they do soften up a bit with use.

In my experience, I'll use filters... in the rack, controlled with my feet, EQs, preamps, FXs... they're all filters, just outboard ones. I've been messing with passive pickups because I found that not only the variety of tones they provide is great, but also because all these tone varieties interact differently with the preamp, specially at low-mid gain settings. The grain textures are something to take one into another dimension. You see, different combinations will deliver different signal levels and the preamp (mine is a full tube rack preamp) will react in a way that just got me hooked. Yeah, some tones are in the same ball park, for sure, others will have just a little bit more salt or pepper than others, but then, there are some that are completely out there that boost the awesomeness in playing the guitar, that will take you out of my Earth shoes and into somewhere else. Will I use them all in my songs? Ever? No, but for jams I can get to them and just introduce something different and fresh. There are several ways to get into this kind of realm, this one in particular is quite easy and inexpensive... since I'm not a 3 tone guitar type of guy, actives are not for me.

Regarding the stiffness of the Libarators, I'd say to "waste" a few turns on them to see if they loosen up a bit. Try also the see if the knob isn't doing any traction with the pot's nut and shaft. DO NOT use WD40 in it. WD40 is a water repellent agent used to avoid the creation of ice on spacecrafts (or so I've learned). It can be used for several other purposes, but don't use them on electronics. It will react with the carbon filters inside the pots and shorten considerably their life time.

The thing I liked a lot on moving towards boutique pickups is that I learnt a lot on pickups (which are the second big tone factor in the chain, strings are first). One gets to talk with the builder, expose the ideas as far as possible about the kind of tone one has inside his/hers head and that will translate into a pickup that will fit your needs like a glove. Also, and depending on one's experience and will to experiment, the following iterations can be precisely traced and controlled. I've learnt that so far, I prefer Alnico 5 to Ceramic magnets on my pickups, because I'll have less string pull and, therefore, a broader and richer string tone (to my ears that is)... and DiMarzio has no Alnico5 pickups on their 7 and 8 string pickups catalogue. Then you can choose the wire and the number of turns and how that affects the pickup's reaction and tone, it's almost like building your own magic tone potion. I think it's a path many should take and experiment. There's really little info on how a pickup will sound on the major brands' websites and considering that a pickup changes its base tone by changing vol and tone pots... I stopped caring about DiMarzio or Duncan or even Bare Knuckle for that matter.

13. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

uhm i did let build my own custom bass pickups ones ( which did not end as i supposed to be but due to builder fault i.m.o though he denied back then ) but I KNOW inside out what i wanted to be and i felt evry nuance , needs that yep i cant know on guitars is farly too much different as it has more interaction in the shape of sound ( amp , effects far more coloring , and so on ) . As far of filters , on bass ( and guitars i assume) i was using a generic terms but actually i meant exotic active preamps with VARIABLE filters who work on PASSIVE pickups + peak resonance adjust gain , check acg bass preamps to get ( he was the guy who developed for his basses then he sold less complicate version preams , builded and enginered by "east preamp" imo the best preamp maker for bass wordly . uk based ) . what they do is literally VOICING the pickups ( that's the concept one should work with "flat" pickups like qtuners for example , voicing them ) . went overboard ( i have still qtuners and that pre uninstalled as said , but still a pleathora of sounds ) . ALembic and others went ahead decades ago , then suddenly bass and guitars did break at "tradition" and still not going anywhre.. i remember the "game changer" by ernie ball ( pickup configuration like you do but preset based ) , people did buy and have troubnle to run the program as Ernie basically dropped ( they even horribly did a online editor instead than a dedicated one ) .One of many examples of technology not going further ..heck people puke on different shape of guitars even. . I'm trying to loosen up but is quite hard ( also i prefer to remove knob volume as it is in my fucking way all the time , that's why is WAY harder , but that's me )

Well nice digression ,completely elsewhere . lol

odibrom likes this.
  14. odibrom

odibrom .

I can't speak for your boutique pickup experience, but mine was spot on on both times, the first with a now closed local brand called ToneMate Pickups and the second with Gorilla from Rome. Well, it is never really spot on, since some need a bit of extra tweaking, but the first strike on both was pretty close to optimum. I got super precise when I was talkingwith both builders, explaining correctly how the pickups would be installed, what I would do with them (coil splitting, inner/outer coil combos and all that jazz), what pots I was going to use, my own rig and, obviously, the type of sound I was looking for. They offered me a full specs list before so I could agree and of we went for the builds. From the first ToneMate Pickups I bought 3 pairs of white 7 string humbuckers for the price of about 1 and a half Dimarzio pickups, about 3 years ago. From the Gorilla brand I bought 2 pairs of humbuckers and 1 single coil. The first pair was custom made, the second and the single was chosen from their model offerings. The pickups are never totally spot on because I'm not a known artist nor am sponsored by any brand or what ever, and they'd need to go back and forward a bit to tune a few things like the time of the wax bath, the dime of trying from the wax bath, the pole pieces and so on...

The game changer thing is/was on hold by judicial order, since it was stolen (? as I understood the thing of it) from another small company called PMT - Precision Music Tecnologies and sold through the Guitar Electronics web site - https://pmtmusic.com/pickup-control-system. I knew that a few years ago this case was in court of law, but it seams that PMT is still selling this pickup control system... I wonder if I could get one of those... and yes, guitar players are a kind of backward thinking bunch of guys...

15. odibrom

odibrom .

Hey, @mrvomit have you already tested the previous suggestions? Did they work?

16. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

nope , as i work and i use lunch time to fiddle with guitar and also seeing if that "stratesque sound "could be any good. At evening i'm a bit smashed and though when going home i think "i will do ity" i'll end always lying lol, this night i went asleep on my fokking chair , but i will do next rainy sunday .
    Coincidence , i was looking at that "pmt" company months ago as i was looking for an alternative to tone pot. They do fancy stuff like a
    "Humbucker Control With Coil Filters"
    you rotate the pot and it "fades" from outer/inner coils (push/pull to select) to humbucker sound instead than switching but no EU dealer and found on ebay quite expensive , then i made up my mind to do simpler luckily. did not know the patent GC stuff , on the page you linked they say is different from game changer though (and not for sale ) .
    Gorilla pickups are quite more expensive than dimarzios here , not worthy for an ignorant guitartard as me .
    I'm on the hunt of the switch to se if i ll find a cheaper one in Eu. Once Uk went away from Eu 80% of my links are not worthy anymore ( took TONS of gear from there in decades ) .
    _______
    Uhm maybe at lunch i will try to do move something at least rotate the dsonic even if the stuff will hum .

17. odibrom

odibrom .

It's not by turning the pickups that it will start to hum. Only if doing so you damage some wire or solder joint.

You can find the switch at thomann.de.

18. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

done , i prefer the sonic with bar to bridge like i did now for rhytm( squealing harmonics far easier and perhaps better for low strings fast stuff , solos bit harsher on higher strings though neck pickup gives there anything what could bridge now missing .. raised volume so maybe i fooled myself for the comparison, good anyway ) , i meant hum by using the 2th position where you use one coil from pickup from both pickups as we were speaking , and strangely i don' t hear hum still Oo... which should appears actually , i guess i have some gate that i did not know or my colume is not high enough .Anyway inner coil to me sounds better than using coil from bridge , less straty but i m doing home woth no music as base under. They are calling from work , i' m late damn lol .
    The old tech ( or me unnoticing ) damaged some tape ( pickup works though ) , better to tape it somehow or leave it like that? i took a photo i will try to upload later . gona check thomann ( bit expensive shipping though, gonna check reverb too)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  19. odibrom

odibrom .

The inner coils shouldn't hum because they are as desired, one is North polarity (the bridge one), the other is South polarity (the neck one). Together they cancel hum. Normally, when I buy stuff from Thomann, I'll try to reach the 200€ mark for free shipping. If I can't, I'll mange something around with friends. If anything else, string packs usually help to fill the plafond...

So, to understand, you just rotated the D-Sonic, right? Ibanez HH wiring scheme is ALL hum free, all positions are hum-canceling.

Sorry, I didn't get the tape thing...

mrvomit likes this.
  20. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Nevermind , since it was not humming in the 1coil_Bridge +1coil_Neck originally , and i reversed only 1 pickup , that should have brought hum as did not reverse cables of the other( i would have reversed only 1 coil polarity of the 2 ). Since i don't hear difference i must have some gate in my podrack or soundcard ( i 'm on rack-to pc -and then monitors) .Nothing that i could not sort alone with some thinkering. Yeah Thomann its like that , ages i dont buy for that reason , too much hassle relying on others .
    ___Btw i have ANOTHER rg7620 and another liberator to mount. Must plan a bit for the pickups there too , maybe just bridge though i must understand what i need ( and i would like to lighten the weight on the guitar also , noticeably more weighty than my first one and is annoying it does not "stay" in my hands and body same way ) , so i 'm starting to collect the mind, switch included ( which on *m**on is same with less shipment, already in cart if i do not find any cheaper) .ty for the tips its years i'm not that chatty Oo

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021