Questions about 7 string hardware

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Daiephir, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Daiephir

Daiephir likes peanut butter

Hey guys! Obviously, reading the thread title, I have questions about guitars that have more strings than the one I possess (why dont I have a 7 string yet? :wallbash:) I must say that even wanting to be a luthier, I dont own all of the knowledge related to guitars (thus making you guys a highly relevant source of info :metal:)

First of, with that lovelly piece of equipement being the bridge: I plan on buying a Hipshot guitar bridge, fixed, black for the modest sum of 109$ +taxes, shipping and handleling.

Here
    Scrolling down you might see that there is 2 black 7 string fixed guitar bridges, one having the .125 mention and the other one having the .175.

- Whats the difference, if you could answer, is it overall width, thickness of the baseplate, something else?

Now, moving on to the tuning machines: Hipshot also sell those (yeah!!) but after making carefull mathematical equations I noticed that the "black grip-lock locking guitar tuning machines" that I was looking into cost 15$ each, giving a big 105$ for 7 tuning thingys. So, two questions in one:

- Are they good at what they were made for and is there any cheaper way of having locking tuners (are Sperzels cheaper)?

Finally, frets, those magical little pieces of metal, I have found after carefull reading of that thing called the Internet that the biggest frets ever made were the Dunlop 6000.

- Where does one find those frets?

Also, could you guide me in my quest for supreme speed, because I dont know if those Dunlop frets are big because of there height or there width or both. My interrogation is mainly caused by the fact that there is Stewmac frets that are more pyramidal shaped compared to the rounder common shaped frets here you can see the last 2 frets size have 2 differents "slopes". Also, how do they compare with the aforementionned Dunlops?

And now, regarding neck width, whats the typicall neck width on a 7 string at the 24th fret? I know that the nut is 48mm (I dont how much that gives in english system though :lol: )

Thanks for reading guys. :wub:

2. Daiephir

Bumpity bump, 39 views and none of you guys can answer any of my questions? (That's odd)

3. Daiephir

Still no answers? You guys sick? Anyways, I was hoping you could help but I'll need to find elsewhere.

4. splinterhood

splinterhood Arrg!

That stuff about the measurements is on their website under the FAQ. A little digging will get you along way. i have never used hipshot stuff, the bridges look all right, but i personally do not like the way the Tuning machines have the gears exposed. I prefer an enclosed self lubercating deal there. I like sperzal locking machines myself. The gear ratio could be a bit better, but I am really anal (stop laughing) about haveing a perfectly tuned instrument. Schaller has a great reputation and they are really not ungodly expensive. I am going to get a ste of these later in time.
    Also, Are you trying to convert a 6-string into a 7-string? if so, it is alot easier, and not much more expensive, to just buy a cheap ibanez 7-string.
    Just take some time to look stuff up.

Daiephir likes this.
  5. Andrew_B

Andrew_B SS.org Regular

i believe it s the baseplate,

a mate of mine was whinging aout the hipshot on his FM-408 not being able to get a decent action because that basepate is thick

you will find machine heads are always between 10 and 15 bux each
    except for generics

call dunlop.....

i theory a pyramid shaped wire will be easier to crown after leveling

you will need to take the measurements of your bridge,
    work out the measurememnt of your nut,
    work out the string spacing at the bridge and nut,
    draw up a full size plane, and you will get your neck measurements.

building guitars is expensive, get ready spend alot of money.

if you seach,
    all the info and more is on the net,
    the questions have been asked time and time again...

Daiephir likes this.
  6. Daiephir

Thanks guys, really helped.