Question to Strandberg owners / Painters

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by patdavidmusic, Dec 13, 2016.

1. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

Hey all,
    Thanks for taking the time to read,

I got word that there maybe no more normal blue standard runs of the boden os series,

I have always wanted a blue boden, now that the tremolo has been upgraded i'm keen to wait until after the release of namm to pick one up.

I just wanted to know would it be possible to re-stain the natural top myself but maybe take it to a professional to finish over the stain so it doesn't rub off.

So it would have a blue top and natural back and sides.

From this
    [​IMG]

To like this (no where near as flamed)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading!
    Pat

2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You'd need to strip/sand off the original satin finish first and then you'd due the top and clearcoat the guitar again. Alternatively you could just scuff the finish, color spray the top and build a bit thicker finish but I have no idea if that would work well.

You would probably be better off letting a professional do the staining as well, probably not going to save much money doing it yourself.

3. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

If you only sand the top then you don't have to do anything to the sides, plus it automatically gives you the lovely masked binding effect (as long as you don't soak the top in dye).

4. patdavidmusic

Thank you for your advice, sadly it's looking much more complex than i originally thought

5. patdavidmusic

That was the idea! It's just whether i'd ruin the guitar trying to achieve it

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

if you're afraid to do it then find a reputable refinisher and send them the body. If you're going to do it yourself I'd recommend using angelus leather dyes. just a dab on a rag and then rub it in following the grain of the wood. you can always dilute the dye with alcohol too. It's really not that hard to do.

7. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I'm going to go ahead and agree that you should just have a pro do the refin. A majority of the work/cost of painting is the clear coating, wet sanding, and buffing; so you may as well just let a pro do it from the start to get the best possible result.