Question: My Action

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by octavarium7, Jun 28, 2013.

1. octavarium7

octavarium7 Cloud Constructor

Hello guys, Just got an S5427 a few days ago, it's beautiful, plays great, and I love it. But in comparison to my RG that I had setup by a pro-tech, the actions is a bit high for my liking.

The neck has a bit of relief (i prefer as straight as possible), and I was wondering what the first step should be to lower my action

Straighten the neck, then adjust bridge? Or vice versa...KTS reinforced truss btw. ZR-2 w/ZPS trem.

Can post pics and measurements as soon as I get off of work

edit: If this is not the right forum then let me know

2. b7string

b7string SS.org Regular

First thing I'd do is ease the tension on the strings by detuning a fair bit, then as you said, straighten the neck making only minor adjustments to the trussrod, then tuning back up and checking relief. Your neck may move slightly a few days after the adjustment too so I find its better to do a smaller adjustment and play it a bit to let it settle in.

Then if its not quite there yet, and your neck is pretty staight, check out your bridge.

If after bridge and neck adjustments it still feels high, sometimes the nut is sitting too high, and that can cause high action all the way down the board, and won't be fixed by lowering the bridge. You want your strings to just clear the first fret without buzzing when played open.

Also check out these set-up guides, they are generally a really good starting point, and Rich sure knows his stuff. IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup

Also hopefully MaxofMetal will chime in, as he's quite knowledgeable in ibanez's and setups in general :)

3. Krigsmjod

Krigsmjod SS.org Regular

You can adjust the truss rod at full tension. In fact your guitar neck is happiest and strongest while balanced at tension. Always adjust in small increments, loosen a tad before tightening to ensure the nut isn't seized, and if you hear a loud pop commence crying.

Flow chart for set up:

Set bridge as low as possible (check buzz once tuned up)
    - happy with action everywhere -> intonate -> done.
    - or -
    - unhappy with action somewhere ->

Unhappy with action at high frets -> adjust truss rod
    -loosen the nut to let the headstock come up, and the strings will move away from the 12th fret. This cures buzzing at mid/high frets.
    -tighten the nut to pull the headstock back, and the strings move closer to the 12th fret. This lowers action at the high frets.
    Tune and check buzz/action. Once satisfied see if you can gain anything from adjusting the bridge again, tune up, check buzz...

Happy with action?
    Yes -> intonate, done.
    No -> try truss rod again or see if the nut needs to be lowered.

You can check the nut by fretting the 3rd fret and seeing if there's a large gap between the string and the first fret. A large gap means you can probably have your nut filed. Touching the first fret here means your nut is probably too low and you'll have buzz at the low frets until you raise the action very high. Probably time to take it to a luthier at this point.

Tl;dr

General direction of adjustment for action:
    1. Bridge/saddle height (easiest)
    2. Truss rod
    3. Nut height (most complicated)

4. octavarium7

octavarium7 Cloud Constructor

Indeed brothers, my friend purchased the same guitar and his came setup better than mine was (preferentially) so I've been making small adjustments here and there

Action is about where I want it....just a bit of buzzing 21-24 on the D and G ....

I'm getting much closer....I almost got USED to the action being HIGH from having the guitar from day 1, so I think ill raise just a tad...get a bit more breathing room (BARELY choking bending 22 to the E...) So all is well, for now

And yes,

Just after the adjustment, buzzing was WORSE than it was a week after. It has definitely settled, and that is something to consider (don't be impatient with this I guess)

Thanks all - Ill keep you updated..