Question for Kiesel/Carvin 7 string owners

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by malufet, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Cheap Poison

Cheap Poison SS.org Regular

It seems it has already been resolved.
    But I was going to say that their neck profile is quite thick (if you compare it to Ibanez. Would be quite a bit thicker then the Petrucci you mentioned. At least I think might need to measure the Carvin).
    This is from a dc727 from a few years back. So for all I know the 'standard' size has changed.

I think it is very comfortable though.

2. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
    Here is the info you requested in your op if still interested... First section posted by Chris Hong of Kiesel Guitars. Second is the url for the post.
    ---------------------------
    Hello everyone!

I'm pretty sure that our neck thicknesses for those models is about 20~mm at 1st fret and 22~mm at the 12th. As far as I know this hasn't changed but they could be a tad (very, very minuscule difference if it is) thinner than that now.

The thinner neck profile is .030" thinner, which is about 0.762mm thinner which makes it closer to 19mm than anything at the 1st fret.

By doing the thinner neck profile you actually get it closer to the Wizard and Prestige 7 necks, most of which are around 19mm and 21mm respectively. Of course our necks are a sort of C shape, not quite there but not too far off so they're not going to be as flat feeling as other 7 string necks.

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Sometimes I can't get around to reading threads but I get notified if someone sends me a PM on this site so I'll be able to come in as soon as I can to respond!

Thanks guys!
    -----------------------------------------
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/271824-carvin-neck-dimensions-regular-vs-thinner.html

-----------------------------------------

Also, the neck is the first thing started on your guitar order. Depending on how busy they are and if they already have your choice of neck "stocked" [they make popular choices in advance] then your neck may actually get started in the "physical" build process on day one. However, I believe Kiesel-Carvin considers your order being taken as the start of the build and may or may not charge the $50 order change fee if it changes from what they email you when they took your order. And yep they make mistakes at order time sometimes. Sounds like you got that covered for now...

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I've had both and do prefer the thinner on my current Carvin. That said, it's just like the info above, it's literally like a 1mm difference so it'snot at all a huge difference. If you can deal with one you can deal with the other in other words. Their thinner profile is still not as thin as Ibanez or current Jackson's,or even the last 8 string Schecter I had, which had a very nice neck with good feeling thinness.
    So OP, they fixed your order? Also, did you definitely request the THNN option when ordering and was it on your order sheet? Just curious.

Rev.

4. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Its amazing how fast the pitch forks come out here. People were bashing Kiesel customer service even before OP had the chance to post about how he got his problem taken care of. If you've "heard so many bad things" about them, then why haven't you seen the countless glowing reviews of their guitars and CS that can easily be found by clicking around this site for a few minutes? Ridiculous.

5. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

Damn, I haven't been on sso in a while. Feels like it's filled with sjw's now. When I ordered my DC7X a few years ago, they informed me that they routed incorrect routes for my pickups and I got a full rebuild. Seems that's all you gotta do so long as it was something that was their fault.

If you order your guitar and forget to add something you REALLY need, then that's kinda your fault. That's why I review my specs thoroughly and do it over the phone when placing an order.

I've too been seeing a lot of disdain for Kiesel/Carvin and I just don't get it. They are really killing it these days. If I had bucks like that, I'd have a stable of them.

6. dormer

dormer Active Member

The pitchforks are due to two (or more? I remember two) threads about build/hardware issues involving Kiesel and their poor CS in response to those issues. Both were eventually taken care of as far as I know. Unfortunately, you can't find out about one of those by "clicking around the site for a few minutes" because Kiesel asked for that thread to be deleted, which it was. That's another reason for a lot of the antagonism here (and why I personally will never consider buying a Kiesel -- zero trust for a company that would rather cover up their mistakes than apologize and fix them).

Of course, it seems like the vast majority of stuff coming from Kiesel is top-notch, but for the money you're spending (what do Kiesels even start at?), maybe people at least expect better customer service -- yeah, they took care of this in the end, but that doesn't excuse having an employee tell the customer that the company won't fix its own mistake (although to be fair, the OP didn't explain exactly who forgot to enter his neck choice; maybe not Kiesel's fault to begin with).

7. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Two threads

Problem eventually resolved

My point stands

8. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

You say that as if it is fact, but I don't think Kiesel is responsible for the thread being deleted. That thread was posted multiple places on the internet and it is still up in the Facebook group where a Kiesel employee is a group admin, as well as several other sites. If Kiesel were the one requesting things to be taken down I'm pretty sure it would have been nuked there as well. Kiesel is a paying advertiser for this forum, so I believe the thread was taken down by this site's owner in the interest of protecting ad revenue in the fear that Kiesel would no longer want to continue advertising here.

9. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

IIRC, with yellow's thread (which was deleted), he only got his problem solved after he made the thread and it got a bunch of views/replies, including some people coming out of the woodwork to share their experiences.

Before the thread, kiesel basically told him to jog on.

10. dormer

dormer Active Member

Thanks, I didn't know that -- is it under the reviews section of their Facebook group? I took a quick look and didn't see it the past few months (it's early here, maybe I missed it).

11. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

No worries, I thought the same thing initially until some of the moderators here posted about it and I saw that it wasn't removed from any other forums. It's also still up at metalguitarist.org.

It was posted March 14 at 8:36pm. Just do a search for Kiesel in that group and keep scrolling and you should find it. I was able to get to it just now.

12. FrancescoFiligoi

FrancescoFiligoi Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis

I own both regular and thin neck (both 7 strings) and tbh I find both equally comfortable. Slight preference to thinner but the regular one is definitely not a thick one by any means.

Hell, the thinner one is not that thin either, just very comfy imho

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'd say this is a very accurate assessment.

I've got both neck profiles, both with 7 strings. I would identically echo the sentiments stated above by FrancescoFiligoi.

14. malufet

malufet ss.org Irregular

Thanks for the reply guys.

About those thinner necks, my guy did not put it in. I mentioned about it a lot during my order but when I got the specs it wasn't there. Maybe he's new, I don't know.

Lesson learned, next time I should go thru my sales guy not the receptionist. It was her that mentioned I can't do any corrections.

15. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

That sucks as far as the miscommunication but I'll bet that you'll be genuinely satisfied with the regular profile. I hardly notice a difference except that going from Wizard-like profiles to the Carvin profiles, I believe helped me to improve my technique. May be due to other factors but Carvin guitars feel genuinely great to me... no fatigue.

16. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Yeah, I only go thru Mike or Chris for that reason.. When I got the receptionist last week, I said I want to speak to Chris and no one else. People don't realize that Carvin has sales reps similar to a callcenter - Not all are long-time employees who worked in other areas (or for instance, guitarcenter selling Fenders and Gibsons, not all sales reps are good at customer service, and hopefully they will get fired just like the ....ty Carvin receptionist probably will after the multiple mess ups last week) - You have to know they might not understand the guitars as much as talking directly to Perry at Ormsby or the owner at a small company - It's ....ty they have to use guys like that but its not a small company producing 10 guitars a year, they are probably producing 10 guitars a day.

In your case though, the thinner neck is literally only 1mm thinner, so while it does suck, I dont think you'll be dissatisfied with the normal neck. My Vader 7 neck is pretty great.

17. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

That's the problem.

It also decreases the value and trustworthiness of this site.

Yes, on THIS site you may have a hard time finding many examples of problems, but assuming somebody's Google-Fu isn't pathetic, or they're not pathetically lazy, reality is easy to find.

In addition, as best as I can tell, that Kiesel rep is somebody that used to post a lot of dishonest for sale posts here, has had more perma-bans un-perma'ed than some folk's here have total post count.

Another reason why the correct response to the OP's post is some version of: "If they won't fix it, get your money back."

18. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

For the 100th time.. Kiesel didnt delete the thread, SS.org deleted the thread.. its even still up on the Kiesel facebook page, so if they were to delete it anywhere, don't you think they'd delete it from their own site??

19. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

To be clear Alex the site's owner deleted the thread.

20. malufet

malufet ss.org Irregular

It's cool, If it's only less than 1mm difference, I doubt I can feel the difference if ever they didn't allow corrections.

I didn't know Carvin had a lot of hate in this forum. I need to visit more often. hahaha