Question for Kiesel/Carvin 7 string owners

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by malufet, Mar 21, 2016.

1. malufet

malufet ss.org Irregular

Is there a big difference between the Thin neck profile and standard neck in terms of playability? I ordered a 7 string guitar and the guy did not put in the thin neck option and they say it's too late to make revisions.

I haven't tried a carvin 7 before and I am used to JP12-7 and apexs.

2. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

Wait, so you ordered a thin neck, Keisel screwed it up and then told you it's too late to fix it? Have they shipped you the guitar? If not I'd just cancel your order, that sort of commitment to customer satisfaction doesn't bode well, IMO.

3. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Here we go again. Get your money back. Save yourself the trouble.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

inb4 :locked:

Here we go again...

Do you have a confirmation email or the custom order page saved that shows what you correctly ordered? If so, then you have absolutely zero reason to accept their mistake, and you should definitely threaten to have (or have) your credit card company withold payment.

5. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

How can it be too late to make revisions? Is the guitar almost complete?

They should either recarve your neck (if possible) or restart your build. No questions asked.

6. malufet

malufet ss.org Irregular

Just ordered last week. Is there a huge difference in size?

7. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

If you just ordered last week I would bet dollars to donuts that they haven't even thought about starting the build. Their CS gets worse every day.

8. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

There's zero justifiable reasoning for it to be "too late to make revisions" if your order was placed a week ago. Call them back, tell them you want the profile you asked for, and cancel your order if they aren't willing to do it.

9. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Good thing is even if its "too late" to make revisions they still left you plenty of time to just cancel your order...

10. Rollandbeast

Rollandbeast SS.org Regular

love kiesel / carvin but been hearing so many bad things about em lately

11. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I've wondered the same. Im not a fan of real thin necks. I hope someone with good info chimes in before this thread gets deleted.

12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Since jeff took over they seem to have been going after that 'boutique luthier' market with the fancy woods and shapes. Maybe the next item on the checklist was 'boutique luthier-style customer service.'

not long now, lead time for a build will be 2 years.

13. Warg Master

Warg Master Weeping strings...

Has anyone tried answering the question he asked? or is this just going to be a hate-fest....

I have a thinner one and haven't played the regular neck so I can't answser...

14. metalstrike

metalstrike Thrash!

Wow, that customer service is straight up garbage! If they screwed up on my order like that for me, they'd either be including what I asked for or it would get canceled without a second thought. Don't accept that crap treatment! To answer your question I actually own a JP12-7 and a DC 700 and while I can't remember for sure if I got the thinner neck option (I think I did), the JP is a lot thinner and feels quite different.

Good luck either way.

15. malufet

malufet ss.org Irregular

I talked to the receptionist and she said I can't make changes so I called my sales guy directly and he made a change.

I don't know why she said I can't make a change.

I should've come here before getting a custom build. I would've gotten another petrucci. lol

16. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'm three days shy of being four weeks off of my estimated completion date. I'm sitting at 13 weeks now, at least four of which were waiting for a bridge. Starting to get kinda miffed.

As for how the necks differ, I couldn't tell you. I do know that the (standard) neck on the seven string Vader I have is nice. It's not overly thick or anything, but it's not like Ibby/Schecter SLS thin. It's a very nice profile, imo.

17. malufet

malufet ss.org Irregular

So about those necks, how many mm difference are we talking about?

18. ShredFever

ShredFever SS.org Regular

To answer the original question; I own Kiesel 7s with the thin and regular neck profiles. I've also owned an EBMM JP13 seven. You definitely want the thin neck profile if you're way into the neck on your JP, and are trying to get as close to that as you can on a Kiesel. That being said, I generally prefer thin necks (grew up on 80's Ibanez Wizards), and I think I've actually come to prefer Kiesel's regular profile to their thin one. It's very, very comfortable, and not what I'd ever refer to as "thick". In fact, I'd call it pretty close to the Ibanez Ultra profile I had on a J-Custom.

Glad to see that you were able to talk to your sales guy and get the thinner profile. In my experience (I've purchsed 5 guitars from them in the past 8 months, and a couple more secondhand), they've always done everything within reason to accommodate build changes. If it's late in the process, I've paid $50 update fees, if it's early, I've paid nothing and they were happy to help.

Really hope you're happy with your build. I'm in love with all of mine! It seems some folks have had less than stellar experiences with them recently, but I have nothing but good things to say about all of my experiences. I think they're a great company, albeit, maybe one that's going through some partially self inflicted growing pains. From everything I've seen, I honestly believe the GREAT majority of their customers are happy customers!

BTW, what kind of build are you doing?

19. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast

What bridge have they been waiting on for 4 weeks?

20. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Hipshot chrome 7 strings. Not sure if piezo saddles makes a difference, but I've seen a handful of guitars with those saddles go through the Facebook feed over the past few weeks.

I was just told they were waiting on Hipshot bridges.