Question about wiring in my RG5320

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by efx1138, Mar 9, 2021.

1. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I should preface this with saying that electronics in guitars have eluded me a lot so what I'm asking might be really silly but I'm here to learn so here goes :)

I have an RG5320 that I wanted to set up similarly to my old MMJP6 or Ibanez JPM models. I got the pickups installed (Air Norton in neck with the screws towards the bridge, and one Steve's Special). It all sounds great but in the middle position when I engage the coil tap the sound gets really, really low volume wise and dinky.

From my POV I should have a similar setup according to the wiring notes found here [​IMG]

compared to say something like the JPM wiring here[​IMG]
    yet I have never heard my old JP6 or JPM go down in volume or size as much as mine does. Is this related to type of switches (like the Dimarzio EP1111 vs the one in the RG5320), a combination of the blade and the coil tap vs the original 3 way or is it something else? I figured I could take this to some shop but I thought I'd ask here first :)

Thank you very much in advance!

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

your phases are reversed in the middle coil tap position. you can rectify that by splitting to a different coil in one of the pickups.

3. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

Ah cool, thanks for the quick reply. I just thought I'd ask since my second picture broke, is my wiring different from what you'd see here? Just so I'm not missing anything :) Thanks again! Skärmavbild 2021-03-09 kl. 15.49.12.png

4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Can you get a drawing of the installed wiring?

Also, are the pickups' leads pointing to the guitar's cavity?

What are the switches installed?

You should know how 2 pickups are mixed. A humbucker is a 2 pickups combo, composed by 2 single coils in reverse polarity and reverse wound. For a regular hum tone, these coils are linked IN PHASE and IN SERIES. This delivers a fat punch tone out of the 2 single coils. However, f these coils are linked in parallel, their output will be significantly lower, giving them a brighter, clearer tone.

When mixing 2 humbuckers, one must also undersant that these may also be in parallel or in series with each other. Mixing 2 full sounding hums in parallel is the most common course of action from most brands, since it will deliver a similar output as each individual humbucker. 2 humbucker in series delivers a way too hot signal for most players and may be hard to dial an interesting tone out of them in any given amp.

When you are coil splitting a mix of 2 humbuckers, you'll have to consider their mix and what coils from each hum you are mixing. You'll need the north coil from one and the south coil from the other in order to get hum canceling sounds. Then, there's the output matter, where there the parallel or series mix to be considered. I think that John's mix is in parallel, but I honestly never cared about that. Being in parallel, their output will be lower than the hums' full tones.

There's also the possibility, as @diagrammatiks referred, of having an out-of-phase mix, which will deliver a sort of wonky tone to it and will be specially thin if in parallel.

So, can you post some drawings and photos of what you have? Please do get good quality photos (HI RES & focused).