Question about the Torpedo Reload and latency

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by efx1138, Jul 13, 2016.

1. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

Hi!

I'm in the market in a bit for the Torpedo Reload as it would cover all my bases in terms of recording and reamping through one box.

There is one issue though where I'm interested in hearing from current owners and that is this. I won't be using this to attenuate a cab but rather to go straight to my DAW and use WoS or some other IR loader to play and record and I'm a bit curious about how much latency comes into effect when doing this. What are your experiences? Is it noticable for you or usable?

There are of course other factors that play into this but I'd run it through a thunderbolt interface to reduce it as much as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Assuming your setup is reasonable the latency ought to be not a lot more than standing a decent distance away from your speakers.

3. efx1138

efx1138 SS.org Regular

Makes sense :) Thank you for the response.

4. jase

jase SS.org Regular

I've tried using the Reload to track, using software monitoring. I have an old Core2Duo iMac, 4GB RAM with Logic Pro X, using a Saffire Pro40 firewire interface.

After testing around with the buffer settings, I find that the latency is just acceptable for normal playing. Once you have a few tracks recorded and a few instances of the plugin running, plus drum tracks, etc, the latency gets really bad. Depending on your system's specs you might get better results than me. You can test it out by loading a few WoS instances (it is free), record a few tracks, throw in Superior Drummer, load up a few EQ and compressor plugins, and assess the latency while adjusting different buffer settings. With my system and workflow, I cannot track with the Reload.

I prefer to track using the Kemper, recording the Kemper amp sound and the DI signal at the same time. I use the interface's direct monitoring function to monitor myself without any latency. Once I'm done tracking, I go through the reamp process using the Reload.