Question about StudioOne or other DAWs

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Matt08642, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I've been dabbling in recording the last few months since getting a decent interface, and I'm noticing the limitations of what's built in to Cakewalk - Up til now I've basically been using it as an IR loader with NadIR, but want to start recording more stuff.

Something I've felt is lacking is the effects it comes with - Lots of YouTube videos in DAWs like Logic that just come with stuff like compression and EQ plugins that don't suck, while with Cakewalk I'm downloading random free VSTs that sometimes don't suck/sort of do what I want.

Do paid DAWs tend to come with this kind of stuff, or is it mostly extra addons that people buy? Totally new to this so don't really know where to start, but was considering StudioOne Artist on the Windows side.

I'd probably just get a Mac of some kind down the line when their new M1 architecture is a bit more seasoned, but till then want a stopgap that isn't too expensive, but not sure if it's even worth buying something for basic effects.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

There are a lot of DAWs that come with decent plugin suites. Don’t chose a DAW because of stock plugins though. Pick one that you like the workflow of. Most people buy 3rd party plugins. You can check out Waves.com as they make good stuff that’s always on sale. Slate (good) and Plugin Alliance (very high quality) are other companies that offer all their plugins for sale, or lease for a monthly fee. FabFilter also makes incredible stuff, but it’s expensive.

Matt08642 likes this.
  3. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

did you try the pro channel modules in cakewalk? when i tried cakewalk, those actually sounded really good to me. of course it also depends on what kind of sound you´re looking for. i still switched back to studio one because cakewalk was too buggy for me. besides that i second what DudeManBrother said.

Matt08642 likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

Yeah, DAWs are all about the workflow. Try a bunch and see which clicks with you. Personally I have Studio One Producer version, which is good, but if you're buying it, keep in mind they charge you a one time fee to be able to use VSTs now (they never used to).
    Otherwise it has a ton of options within it. Artist edition is more restrictive with what it offers tbh.

5. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Obligatory Reaper recommendation.

It has a free fully functioning demo, and has all the basic stock mixing plugins (plus tons of other little plugins as well). Don't be fooled by the looks of the UI.

6. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Thanks! Like I said I'm super new so really just trying to get the lay of the land for this kind of thing - I guess since I'm used to Cakewalk I'll just keep using it for the time being since I'm used to the workflow

How lame of them to block off that functionality behind a paywall...

Thanks as well! I've tried Reaper back when I had even less of an idea of what I was doing lol, so I'll give it another shot

7. MUTANTOID

MUTANTOID SS.org Regular

Like everyone is saying, go with a DAW that suites your needs and has a workflow you can manage. I started using Ableton over a year ago, and I'm still finding new ways to improve my productivity. I don't see people recommending this enough, but research the community of support around the DAW that you're looking at before you make the purchase. (lookup StudioOne beginner tutorial vids to see if you can imagine yourself using the DAW before you drop any amount of money into it)

Matt08642 likes this.
  8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I actually really like Studio One's EQ, compressor, and limiter, but I suppose there are better ones. The amp sim that comes with it has some useable tones for guitar, too.

Matt08642 likes this.
  9. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

With Reaper, you really have to spend some time configuring it. Make sure to visit the Mouse Modifiers section, the defaults are a little bit crazy (like shifting the edit/play cursor every time you click anywhere).

Matt08642 likes this.
  10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions! Think I'm gonna go with a Waves CLA-2A and/or CLA-3A plugin. The site makes me laugh, every month (according to archives) it looks like it's "on sale" from some absurd price like $200 down to $35 :lol:

Reminds me of guitar stores that have a guitar listed for $1000, then for Black Friday it's $1000 miraculously "down" from $1500!! QUICKLY NOW, BUY!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  11. DudeManBrother

What are you getting the 2A or 3A for exactly? Don’t get me wrong, they’re great compressors, but they are “slow” so they don’t catch transients. They help fatten up sounds. It’s a nice tool to compliment other compressors like the 1176 style (CLA-76 from Waves) that is fast enough to catch transients and make things more punchy. Ideally you’ll use a variety of compressors to accomplish specific tasks. Sometimes it’s controlling dynamics, and sometimes it’s just about adding color.

If I was only buying one Waves plugin, I’d get the Scheps Omni Channel without question. It’s got saturation, eq, gate, multiband compression, and 3 compressors to choose from, including an SSL, 1176, and LA2A style. It does basically everything.

Here’s Andrew Scheps talking about all the features if you’re interested:

12. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Oh, this was just going to be a generic thing for Bass/Guitar. Bass would be direct in to my interface, guitar is in to the interface out of my Suhr Reactive Load, then I apply an IR with NadIR in Cakewalk.

I signed up for the 7 day trial so no money spent yet - Would the Scheps Omni Channel be more appropriate for this?

Thanks!

13. DudeManBrother

Yeah definitely. It’s basically an all in one plugin. Using saturation adds harmonics (you can choose odd, even, or a unique asymmetrical clipping) which controls transients and makes the track seem louder. There is also high and low pass filters for cleanup. The noise gate is pretty obvious. The De-esser is perfect for controlling palm mutes (set the second one around 250hz) and fizzy top end. The eq is 4 parametric bands so you have total control, and the compressor gives you the 3 most often used to choose from. Then there’s an extra slot to use any other Waves plugin, or double up on one of the Omni strips. So you could eq into the compressor and add another eq after; or set the FET compressor (1176) to control transients, and add another compressor after, using Opto (LA2A) to fill out the sound.

Matt08642 likes this.