Question about Martin Gouldings Technique Routines

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Uncle Remus, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus SS.org Regular

Anyone who's had lessons from Martin Goulding: Is there any particular reason he suggests practising his technique exercises/routines 5 days a week as opposed to everyday?

It doesn't make sense to me as technique is so easy to lose if it isn't constantly drilled. If I don't do legato for an entire weekend I will be really rusty come Monday.

Any advice or thoughts on the topic are also welcome.

2. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

Ive had lessons with Martin and he's a total legend. However, when I did some stuff with him, he was totally on board with the whole full on practice with diary etc etc so every day you had was full on. Im really pleased with my legato now but everything else I do sucks lol

Uncle Remus likes this.
  3. c0n0r

c0n0r SS.org Regular

I'm one of Martins current students. He does recommend play each exercise for five minutes everyday. He's never said anything to me about only doing it 5 days a week. However he does say keep each exercise at the same tempo for at least one week before moving up the tempo, less than a week if its come along really well, more than one week if it's still not perfect at the current tempo. If anything only doing it for 5 days with a weekend rest would be so that you don't over do it as a beginner to the exercises and therefore you prevent damage to your muscles / wrists.

By all means, you should adapt a practice routine to something your comfortable with so that your techniques are solid. However Martin is a fantastic teacher and I love the man, so I'm all for doing what he says, but as i said before I've not heard him say only do the exercises for 5 days.

4. Uncle Remus

Yeh this was in the 'level 1' legato lesson in guitar techniques magazine so perhaps he's just suggesting the five days so he doesn't end up with a load of RSI ridden beginners knocking at his door :lol:

I'd be curious to know what Martin suggests as a general daily routine for his students. obviously its going to be based on the student but just the general outline would be interesting to know

5. c0n0r

c0n0r SS.org Regular

Quite possibly! He was always very warning of the single lined legato 1 exercises which were 1a/b/c and 3a/b/c. as those are the ones which would knacker your wrist!

As for the routine, it depends on the area of his course your main focus is on at a given point in time. I think he does always tend to do Legato first so that the left hand has good speed and there is a decent level of coordination between both hands, and as the legato strengths the fretboard hand it makes the tapping and sweepings sections of the course easier.

An example of a routine i used for the legato ones were:
    Ex 1a , 120 bpm, 5 mins
    Ex 1b , 120 bpm, 5 mins
    Ex 1c , 120 bpm, 5 mins
    Ex 1* , 120 bpm, 5 mins (Play the exercise going up each major scale position)
    Ex 2a, 120 bpm, 5 mins
    Ex 2b , 120 bpm, 5 mins
    Ex 2c , 120 bpm, 5 mins
    Ex 2* , 120 bpm, 5 mins (Play the exercise going up each major scale position)

and so on until i'd done the main core exercises. He normally says to exclude doing the licks.

Uncle Remus likes this.
  6. killerpicker

killerpicker Member

Hi there guys, just to clarify as it's come up...the advice i give to students regarding exact timings and speeds is personal to the student. On the whole i recommend 5 mins per exercise/lick etc, although depending on the level and goal of the student (or myself!) those timeframes may change. If there are no general problems in the students technique, then 5 mins is a standard, if you are playing sextuplets at 60bpm and you practice for 5mins then you'd be doing 300 reps per day, but then if you develop up the ladder to 120bpm you'd be playing double the amount, so therefore you could then compress the routine by doing 2.5 mins per exercise. Generally when a student has reached the target speed, i will try to crush down the routine to allow for the next one. Once a student has reached the target, minimal maintenance practice is all that's necessary. You are all on the right track with your speculation! Yes, 5mins a day, 5 days a week is something i've been known to recommend in the magazines as a minimum if you are in the building stages (not yet at target), and yes i know people may be injured if they are not practicing correctly these kinds of routines. Generally as well people like to know they don't actually have to practice every single day, because suddenly that implies that unless they do, they wouldn't see success with the routine. The advice i would give someone i can sense has either less energy or time restraints is 4 or 5 days a week, in fact i have doctors and lawyers as students, lots of guys that can't dedicate the time to the kind of schedule a pro player will be doing. Interestingly i devise 15 minute routines for those types of students and i have doctors and lawyers eventually reaching the targets too, just a longer journey. 3 exercises, 5 mins, 4 days a week works, you just wouldn't be able to attack the playing from all directions. So yes my advice is not a rule i apply to everyone. Some students i set 20 mins per exercise if they are advanced and really trying to excel at a certain thing, or if there is a serious problem with a certain thing i might recommend long periods daily on only a few key exercises. If the student is early days with a technique, yes it will feel like you have slipped down the hill with a few days off! This isn't really true, as after a proper rep warm up, it will not be much different but the feeling of slipping down the hill is something that worries all students, in my experience, in the early stages i would recommend a hardcore routine if you want to reach an outstanding level, 7 days a week, no mercy! After the exercise is bedded in, you won't need to worry so much about losing it. It's an early stages thing, would be no different if i decided to learn a new piece. However with the levels i teach, i've been doing them for over twenty years now and i've had months on end of not practicing when i get busy, and after 2 days of practice nice and slow, the speeds are always there and ready to go. And in my students who have reached target speeds, the same goes, ultimately the playing and improv keeps it all maintained.

Uncle Remus likes this.
  7. Uncle Remus

Wow. Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my question Martin. Really appreciated.