Question about learning scales

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Martian Monster, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Martian Monster

Martian Monster SS.org Regular

So I want to try to learn scales and modes. Wondering how to go about it on 7 string? Should I learn all the shapes on the 6 strings first then extend the scale down to the 7th string? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can throw my way!

2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I never learned any shapes at all. I know the intervals in the scales, I know the sounds of the scales, but I prefer not to think in terms of shapes on the fretboard. Rather notes and sounds. Shapes like that don't seem very musical or useful to me because they're "just" the notes of the scale and it seems like they would encourage playing "through" the scale, which almost always sucks. For me it's constantly different which notes of the scale I want to use, it depends very much on context/harmony. Besides, for all the scales there are, and the different amounts of semitones between strings, different ways to tune your guitar, that seems like an awful lot of shapes to learn.

But I'm probably completely wrong. I'm no good at guitar so I'm probably the last person you should listen to.

JimF and Martian Monster like this.
  3. Martian Monster

Lol nah, that does make sense, I didn’t even think of different tunings changing the shapes. Lately, I’m loving drop G#, so it’s still pretty straight forward. Thanks for the reply!

4. 7Mic7

7Mic7 SS.org Regular

Back in the days My first teacher taugth me the 3 notes per strings modes in the first image manners. Very good for articulation. After that, I studied jazz and they taught me the close position version of those modes wich is more useful to see degrees and also easier on the left hand. see the second image on the right. Once you know that it becomes pretty instinctive to extend thoses shapes on a extended guitar. The same concept apply to melodic minor, harmonic minor whic are for me the most important scales one should learn before moving to more exotic scales.

Have fun dude!

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I would say go ahead and learn the scales you want to play on the instrument you want to play, and then you can expand or contract from there.

For example, if you want to spend a majority of your time playing bluegrass on an acoustic guitar, then you'd want to start with the mixolydian scale on acoustic guitar. If you want to play crazy seven string shred stuff, maybe start with the aeolian mode on seven string.

Once you know your patterns and your music theory, it's really easy to use your most familiar home base as a starting point and then shift things from there.

JimF likes this.
  6. Martian Monster

This is awesome, thank you!!

7. Martian Monster

Thank you!