Question about Evertune

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Antiphase, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

So I bought a used LTD guitar with Evertune and played it for a while, now it`s time to change strings, but I want to change string gauge from 10 to 9 without changing tuning. I saw a video by ESP how they restrung their Evertune guitar, they just cut strings, installed new ones and turned the tuning pegs untill all strings were in Zone 2.
    So my quesion is should I do it the same way when changing string gauge or not. I understand that I need to adjust the intonation but I`m not sure with 1-st step. I know how to tune Evertune in general even though I didn`t have to untill now. I just don`t understand what would happen if I install lighter strings and start pushing them into Zone 2. To be honest I`m slightly frightened with that system, so I`m very careful as I`m afraid to break it somehow.
    It seems there are such articles on Solar forums but I can`t access them, once I get to Ola`s site, it redirects me immediately to my local store\Solar distributor.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

It's not a delicate system so there's no need to worry.

You'll have to use the tuning key to loosen the spring for each string. You'll find that all the strings are sharp until you adjust their springs.

If you want to be ultra-cautious you could tune your 10's down a half-step before you remove them. That will make the 9's closer to being in tune when you install them.

Antiphase likes this.
  3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

The bridge auto-tunes based on the string tension. Going to a lower/thinner string gauge will mean less tension at the same pitch. You'll have to re-tune at the bridge. Otherwise the bridge will try to pull that same 16 or whatever lbs on the high e for teh .010 gauge for the high E (instead of, say, 13.5 lbs that would be the same E in .009" that's now thinner), and it'll keep wanting to pull it way-too-high pitched. Just as what you'd do if you want to play a different tuning and keep 100% of the bridge's functionality.

Antiphase likes this.
  4. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

Thanks!

5. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

I suggest to give the tuning screw plenty of turns counterclockwise or even turning them counterclockwise completely until you reach the end. When you then tighten the tuning pegs the stings will then move fairly fast into the constant tension zone where the note stays constant while you tighten the pegs.

I also suggest watching through our animated tutorial setup for the first time when setting it up, as it will make sure it will be set up correctly:
    https://www.evertune.com/resources/animated_video_tutorials.php

Best regards,
    Herbert