Queensryche (1983 - 1997) Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I've been a fan on and off since I was pretty young, when I found a copy of Operation: Livecrime somewhere on VHS. I got that maybe around the age of 9 or so. I liked it quite a bit, and as far as live stuff goes, this and KISS around the time of the Alive! tour were tops for me at that age. Then I got Rage For Order (I was a big fan of Walk in the Shadows and it's still my favorite song; The Whisper also isn't a bad song at all), and also liked Mindcrime quite a bit as well. Not sure what album or whatever I had that had The Lady Wore Black and Silent Lucidity on it, but those were also favorites.

Then at some point, maybe 12 or thereabouts, I wasn't really into metal all that much for awhile until I grew out of punk because I wanted more difficult stuff to play on guitar around 15-16. Awhile after that, I eventually got back into Queensryche and got the box set.

When I got more involved in writing, I admired Steve Clark of Def Leppard and Chris DeGarmo quite a bit for their abilities to stack chords and inversions of chords to get a fuller sound, though I've never really fooled around with that much myself.

Anyways, listening to Rage for Order right now, and was curious if anyone is a fan of the band (mainly this era), and what albums/songs are your favorites and why.

Just a side note: I don't care about Queensryche much, if at all, sans Chris DeGarmo, so the legal issues between Geoff and the rest of the band interest me none. Chris wrote most of the band's material when he was in the band, so without him, who cares.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  2. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

“The Warning” is my favorite Queensryche album.

IbanezDaemon and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I remember getting Promised Land in like 8th grade through BMG and thought the guitars were cool enough to grab Empire. I never went any deeper than those two albums but they were a cool change of pace from the likes of Morbid, Cannibal and Suffo that we’re usually in my 10 second anti-skip disc man :lol:

IbanezDaemon and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

You should check out Rage for Order and Operation: Mindcrime. The Queensryche EP is also good as well.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  5. Fenceclimber

Fenceclimber I love Ibanez

Is love Queensryche, I can listen to mindcrime over and over and never get bored. Rage For Order is great too!

IbanezDaemon and DLG like this.
  6. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Rage for Order is my favorite album. I can't imagine having heard it in 1986, it must have sounded like science fiction to people back then because it still sounds futuristic today.

Stuff like Screaming in Digital or Neue Regel, just otherworldly.

My ranking is:

Rage for Order
    Promised Land
    Operation: Mindcrime
    Warning
    Empire

Hear in the Now Frontier had two good songs on it, the rest of their discography is a miserable listen.

Queensryche in their prime were untouchable though and Tate in his prime is on a completely different level than 99 percent of metal vocalists.

Not just the obvious of the notes he could hit and how acrobatic his vocal lines were, but how original, emotional and unique his entire delivery was, literally unmatched in all phases.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  7. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

that Tad Morose EP on your avatar is so underrated.

Fenceclimber likes this.
  8. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

I am a big fan of Queensryche from that era!Just an awesome band of fantastic musicians.Rage for Order and Mindcrime are my two faves.Mindcrime would definitely make my top ten albums list.The concept is great,the story is coherent,and the songs flow together seamlessly.No one song on Mindcrime really stands out,but the album taken as a whole,is a masterpiece!I am so old I still remember seeing them live on the tour they performed Mindcrime in it's entirety(early 90's I think).It was honestly surreal,one of the most memorable shows ever for me!
    P.S. I have seen Petrucci mention their guitar work as an influence often!

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  9. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Awesome band. Been into them from their first release. Rage for Order probably the stand out album of 1986 for me and Operation Mindcrime their tour de force....a masterpiece and in my top 5 albums of all time.

10. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I remember picking up the original Queensrÿche EP on cassette. Me and my friends were blown away. That cassette got worn out quickly. Most people thought it was Iron Maiden at first listen. The original Mindcrime was a masterpiece. I was full out though at Empire and Silent Lucidity. Sold out as far as I was concerned at the time, and I still don't like it.

I got back into Queensrÿche when they released the self-titled album in 2013 with new singer Todd La Torre and was really happy with it. My old Queensrÿche was back. I picked up the next release, Condition Hüman, which I'm still digesting.

I certainly wouldn't write off "new" Queensrÿche with the new vocalist, especially since you like the early stuff. Also, it seems I should go back and check the albums I missed after Empire.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

I wrote it off because Chris isn't there, not because Geoff isn't there.

12. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Yeah I really didn't mean it to read because of anything in particular. Restated, for any reason I wouldn't write it off, it's good stuff IMO. :)

technomancer likes this.
  13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Loved this band, they were by far my favorite group. I can't even describe what it was like listening to these albums as they came out while I was in high school and college. A buddy of mine had the original EP when it came out and I was hooked immediately. I loved them through Empire, then IMHO they started going downhill. I find the stuff after that listenable but not great, through Operation Mindcrime II which is just flat out horrible. The stuff from that album forward is just bad until the 2013 album. The newest stuff still isn't on the level of the original material but is at least good again.

As for the missing ingredient being DeGarmo, we'll agree to disagree. They started going downhill well before he left, his limited solo material wasn't very good, and his return for Tribe didn't make it magical again either :2c:

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I always felt it was less "The DeGarmo band" and more like a band that was the sum of it's parts. The music got pretty boring when it was less of a band thing and was more of a Chris/Tate thing like it started being around the time of Promised Land.

Also there's the case where it wasn't any of the band at all, which is supposedly the case for OMC:II. Was supposedly the album producer + a bunch of studio musicians that recorded it. I think Murderer? was one of the only ones that feature any of the actual bandmembers sans Tate.

Also can we re-title this thread 1983 - 1994? Because besides 2 or 3 songs, HITNF is fucking boring. :lol:

xzacx and technomancer like this.
  15. technomancer

Yep, agreed on all points.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Even the last-minute edit I posted after you liked/quoted? :lol:

17. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

Man, I love these guys. Mindcrime is hands down the best concept album ever released. (mindcrime 2 rules, too. :flame:) I saw them live when they did both Mindcrime albums, and it was an amazing show.

18. technomancer

:rofl:

I run hot and cold on that album... sometimes I absolutely love it and other times I can't turn it off fast enough :lol:

19. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Love their work up to Promised Land, especially Rage for Order and Mindcrime. Both albums with Todd are great too. Everything else from Hear in the Now Frontier to Dedicated to Chaos goes from bad to unlistenable garbage.

Pretty much, for me Queensryche is 1983-1994 and then from 2013-today. I'll pretend everything inbetween doesn't exist for my own sanity :lol:.

20. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I think Promised Land is hugely underrated.

I thought it was great that they got so weird and experimental after releasing such a huge, commercially successful album like Empire. The easy thing to do would have been to just put out something in the exact same style as Emplre.

Not every song is great, but most of them are imo. I also love how dark the album is as a whole, once again, pretty much the polar opposite of Empire in terms of general vibe.