Pure 8 String Frustration - now without all caps!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Danxile, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Danxile

Danxile SS.org Regular

So i posted a thread earlier on today about questions i had about changing the strings on my Agile Interceptor Pro 830. I had recently went to my best music store and specifically told them that i would like to go with DR strings and would like to order a 8 string custom set. I requested a .075, .060, .054, .042, .032, .019, .015, and a .011 for the set respectively. I also made it very clear that the strings MUST FIT A 30" SCALE GUITAR. I was then told i needed to order a minimum of 6 SETS which would run me about 60 bucks. I thought "No Problem". I got a call from my music store that said that the strings had come in with "Dan Henig Custom Strings" on the packaging. I was really excited so i went to the store to pick them up. Thats where the trouble began.

When i get to the store i find out that my name had been misspelled and said "Dan Hedig" rather than "Dan Henig" on the string packaging. I laughed and thought hey thats no big deal but nothing could prepare me for the frustration that lay ahead.

I finally get to restringing my 8, taking all the rusted ass strings off my guitar and immediately threw them out. I opened my first set of strings and saw the .075 string. First thing that goes wrong is that the .075's metal ring that sits in the string saddle is TOO BIG to put into the bridge. I figured that i could maybe take the ring off of the old string and twist it to make up for the bass size ring that was on the .075. So i figured i would go to the other side and start from the high E and go down, worrying about the f# later on.

As I'm going down i realize that the strings are getting shorter and shorter in relation to the tuning pegs. I get nervous so i decide to take the A string and see if it even reaches the top tuning peg. Of course, it doesn't. The strings they sent me DO NOT EVEN FIT ON THE GUITAR AND ARE COMPLETELY THE WRONG SCALE LENGTH. :mad:

The worst part about this is that since i custom ordered them they sent me TEN SETS OF STRINGS INSTEAD OF SIX, running me roughly 100 bucks. Now I'm stuck with 10 sets of custom made strings that don't even fit my guitar and i would like to get a refund but since they are custom made, a refund is a long shot at best.

The misspelling of my name, the obvious bass string, and the wrong scale length make me regret ever ordering custom strings from DR again, even though i really like their strings, its given me the worst migraine headache and i feel like punching a hole in my wall. :scream:

A friend told me about Labella strings which I'm going to check out, but i thought i would share this with the ss.org members to warn you about ordering more than one pack of strings when they very well can be FUBAR.

Anybody have any suggestions of what i should do in the future as well as retailers that have experience in ERGS and more than 7 strings?

2. Arteriorrhexis

Arteriorrhexis SS.org Regular

That sucks dude. I can't really give you advice for custom strings, but I usually just buy a 7 string set and a bass string for the 8th and that works for me.

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke This is bat country

That sucks dude

Rondo sells string sets for there longer scale 8's, maybe check them out. Since your in the US postage shouldn't be too much

Also, no need for the all caps title, you're just screaming for a Mod to mess with the thread title :lol:

4. Danxile

Danxile SS.org Regular

:lol: Yeah i didnt even mean to do that, I'm just so angry right now you have no idea. Thanks for the tip btw

5. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

6. Danxile

Danxile SS.org Regular

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hmm, take the strings back and at least get most of your money back.

Keep in mind that almost all strings with diameters ending in 5 are going to be bass strings. Not only do bass strings have a different ball end, but they also have a different winding on them, thus they will sound duller. Bass strings also cost a lot more.

8. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

D'addarios will be long enough.

9. Deadnightshade

Deadnightshade U gonna eat that?

Fuck why not take a refund?They messed up,and the only way for you to find out was to open them.The bad part was that you actually restrung some strings,but still,demand a refund for the rest 9 packages

10. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Exactly. They clearly did not give you what you ordered, so take them back. Hopefully you paid by credit card, as if they give you problems you can reverse the charge.

Generally true, the only exception I've seen are Elixir nanoweb bass strings which sound very similar if not identical to their guitar strings. I've used their 60s and 65s on a couple of guitars.

11. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

Quoted from my above link "43 inch winding length". That should give you plenty of extra length. Also they work on my Septor 828 with a reverse headstock with NO PROBLEM at all. You only have about one and a half inches on scale length but most of your tuning keys are closer.

12. Inception7

Inception7 Tappy Tapper

SIT strings makes custom sets for 8's. I just bought 20 sets from GuitarCityDrumLand

13. Danxile

Danxile SS.org Regular

DR agreed to take the strings back today. They apologized and said they would remake the strings to the right specifications. My question is now, if I was spending easily 100 bucks on a custom order, shouldnt they have made sure they got it right the first time? This either shows laziness or a lack of care for the customer. I expected more from a respectable company like DR.

14. Soopahmahn

Soopahmahn Tu ne cede malis

Hopefully they'll have the courtesy to spell your name correctly.

15. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Tell the fuckers to spell your name right while they're at it. :noplease:

Good to hear they're doing the right thing though.

16. Razzy

Razzy [10]

Hey man, every company screws up once in awhile. What sets them apart is if they will take the time to fix it after the fact.

It's good they're getting you fixed up!

:hbang:

17. ra1der2

ra1der2 SS.org Regular

I can confirm that ernie ball strings fit 30" scale, they have singles available in 6 packs and 3 packs .008 up to .074 on their site store so you can build your own sets. They also work well with the kahler IMO.

Scarpie likes this.
  18. MTech

MTech Banned

The LaBella's will fit as they're wound longer then any current major string manufacture and if you need a specific length/gauge/taper you can have them custom made as well and done for a great price if you go through Leo at Big City Strings.

19. darren

darren Forum MVP

To save confusion in the future, you should give them an exact measurement for how long you need the string to be.

Saying "it has to fit a 30-inch scale guitar" doesn't give them enough information, because they don't know how much string you have behind the saddles and through the body, or how far the tuners are from the nut.

20. Danxile

Danxile SS.org Regular

Agreed. That was the first thing I do when I placed the reorder. Completely unrelated, I am STILL waiting on these strings. Its been a month and a half since I touched my 8:scream: