PRS SVN 7 info??

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by xxvicarious, Jul 10, 2019.

1. xxvicarious

xxvicarious SS.org Regular

I've thought to myself over the passed few years "I wish PRS made a 26.5" scale 7"... I dont know why I never bothered to even THINK about looking. I didn't know the SVN was a 26.5" scale haha. Does anyone own one of these, OR has anyone played one? Just curious about it's playability as far as the neck goes. I've always enjoyed the SE line to a certain degree, decent bang for the buck. Hoping the SVN 7 isn't a total dud for $800.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

They are good guitars, just like the other SE’s.

AkiraSpectrum and xxvicarious like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The one I had was an amazing player. Just a bit too warm sounding for my taste.

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I own the older PRS SE-7 with the shorter 25" scale length. Good guitar for the money for sure. Really comfortable for a 7-string. I have played PRS SE SVN's and it felt equally as good, just with a longer scale. Definitely worth it in my opinion because you're getting a solid build quality for the price range, like you get with all the other SE's.

For my SE-7 I added locking tuners (previous tuners were fine but wanted locking), and changed the pickups to Duncan Pegasus/Sentient because the HFS/VB 7-string pickups weren't doing it for me. I didn't plug in the SVN so I didn't try out those new pickups (which differ from the previous SE-7) so I can't speak to them.

Definitely give the SVN a shot if it interests you. At the very least you're getting a well-built guitar that you can mod if you don't get along with the pickups or tuners or whatever.

xxvicarious likes this.
  5. Aaron

Aaron SS.org Regular

I have one at the store i work at, it feels good but just like you said, sounds a bit warmer than i would like. Id have to drop in some different pups. If the Holcomb SE7 drops that would be the guitar to get.

xxvicarious likes this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

I tried dropping in a Fluence Modern set and even a Nazgul/Sentient set, and I still couldn't get the bite I wanted.

Like I said, it sucks because they play so fucking smoothly and look great.

7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I just wish I knew when some of the online stores were getting some in. I've been on the lookout for the 277's and SVN's and the store was updating them to July 7th and then went right back to coming soon. I wonder if the recent move to Indonesia has anything to do with it.

8. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Sounds like it would need different pots or the tone control bypassed

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

Did that. Every time I mod pickups, I ditch the tone control in favor for 2 separate volume controls.

setsuna7 likes this.
  10. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

I loved my sVn, but there was one thing that always nagged at me about it. My big hand always felt cramped in the upper register of the neck. The cut out isn't as big as what I'm used to, so it kind of affected my lead playing.

I tried to look past it and not let it bother me, but once I had the opportunity to get my Ormsby Hype 7, it was enough to push me to sell the sVn to get the Ormsby.

I would definitely get another down the line, just for rhythm and cleans. It was a very fat sounding guitar, and the neck was very comfy.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. xxvicarious

xxvicarious SS.org Regular

I've read some reviews and watched some demo videos recently. Seems 'no bite in the bottom end' is a common issue with owners. What a bummer. Seems like if eliminating the tone control and installing good pickups isn't going to give it some bite, nothing will lol. I'd hate to drop $800 on a guitar only to immediately replace the tuners, nut, pickups and pots. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Holcomb 7 SE in the future.