PRS SE7 nut width?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by jwade, Mar 18, 2017.

1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I've been looking online for the past half hour and every source says 42.8 mm. That seems wrong. I don't really remember much about the one I had, but I don't think it was that cramped.

Search function doesn't work worth .... on here lately for me, anybody want to throw a ruler down on theirs and check for me?

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Almost every 7 string is 48mm, so I would be surprised if it were different. Could be though......

42.8mm is probably the nut width of the 6 string guitars. That is about 1 11/16", which is the standard 6 string spec for them.

3. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

4. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Just measured mine, it's exactly 47mm wide

5. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Right on, thanks guys. It makes sense that it's not quite as wide as ibanez. My buddy had a 7321 and complained about it but said his SE 7 was 'almost perfect. I'm working on a build for him right now, wanted confirmation that slightly more narrow is the way to go.

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

He might be feeling the 25" scale vs the 25.5" scale of the Ibanez. That can make a huge difference. Also, the Ibanez has a D-shaped neck, which makes it feel wider than it really is. I plan on sanding the neck on my RG7321 for the same reason, to make it rounder. I did that to a 6 string Ibanez RG, and it made it dramatically different feeling. It used to feel wide, and now it feels narrow..... even though I didn't even mess with the width.

I have been starting to really like the 6 string SE's lately. I need to find a SE7 to check out. :)

7. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

You definitely should! I used to be strictly Ibanez...until I played the SE7, now I own two of those, and sold all my Ibanez guitars.

8. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

this is so true, i have a 90's 7421 with the super thin C shape neck and it feels so much more narrow then the new necks with that D shape.