PRS SE Owners: how do you feel about your guitar?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by guitaardvark, Dec 27, 2014.

1. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

I love woods with lateral grain, like the soap bars and some santanas

2. Chris O

Chris O Not The Dude...

I've had a bunch of the SE's, and the real deal PRSi. The SE's played every bit as nicely after a good setup. The hardware on the SE's wasn't quite as nice, but worked just as well. The pickups on the SE's were a bit "nondescript" but sounded good with high gain amps. I wasn't really blown away by them, but a set of Duncans would have brought them right up to snuff.

3. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

The trem on the SE models is okay but doesn't really compare to the trem on the USA models. All that brass on the US version = beefier tone. Other than that, the SE's are a great value for the money! I've gone through a ton and still have 2-3 at the house at any given time. I'm actually getting ready to drop some new pickups into my SE245 to give her a breath of new life. ;) I typically swap the tuners for locking tuners (either Schaller or if I can find them I drop in USA Phase II's) and pickups but that's just personal taste.

The nuts they use on the SE models seem a little cheap (not sure if it's just plastic they use or what?) so often times when I can, I try to swap those out too for something a bit nicer. Honestly, I don't know how much they cost PRS, but the nuts they put on the USA guitars are simply fantastic, so I really wish they would opt for those on the SE's as well especially when the primary complaint folks have about the SE's are either the pickups or the nut. :( It would be a worthwhile upgrade that I'm sure folks wouldn't mind the extra $20 or so added to the price of the guitar for something so crucial to keeping a guitar in tune and sounding crisp. :lol:

At the end of the day, even a stock SE is still a very solid buy. While my PS SC245 Piezo blows my SE245 out of the water hands-down, I still pick up my SE245 and jam on it all the time because it DOES feel and sound like a great instrument should, so for the price it's really hard to beat an SE. :D

4. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

This is OT but talk to Ash at Oil City Pickups - UK based but ships worldwide I think. He made me a P-90 for my cheap SG Junior copy and it sounds magnificent. His stuff is Bare Knuckle level awesome.

Home

I'm not affiliated btw, I've just bought lots of pickups from him and they've all been fantastic, plus he's a great guy to deal with.

5. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

I had an SE Custom 24 "Floyd" in Trampas Green for awhile. While it was a great and incredibly gorgeous guitar, after a few weeks and a couple shows it really wasn't working out for me. Had a hellava time getting to the pickup switch mid solo's when I needed, hurt my hands after playing for long periods of time which I've never experienced before, and it kind of felt "bulky" live. In other words, I'm an RG guy that wanted to try something different and it didn't work out. However, The SE line delivers serious quality for a great price and I highly recommend them to people looking for new guitars in the mid-level price range.

6. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

I've had three SE's now and all have required a set up and new nuts installed. After that they are all very solid.

7. Der JD

Der JD SS.org Regular

I have a SE 245 and a Fredrik Akesson. They're my main electrics at this point. Owned a USA P22 for a while but sent it back simply because I didn't feel the jump in quality matched the jump in price.

Maybe I've just gotten lucky but both my SEs came with an incredible setup. Low action with no buzz. I've done some mods to both guitars (pickups, some electronics, locking tuners) but I really didn't have a problem with anything stock. Never had issues with the stock nuts, but take in mind that I play these guitars in standard, E flat, or drop D. Stock tuners aren't great but I didn't have any issues with them. I just prefer locking tuners for faster string changes. I actually think the stock pickups are really good. I was hoping that by swapping pickups (I've tried several Duncans and Dimarzios, and 1 Gibson) that I'd hear a noticeable improvement. Different? Yes. Improved? Not necessarily. The only thing I really think that needs changing fairly quickly is the switch and jack. They're just poor quality and from experience I can tell they won't stand up for the long haul.

8. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

Yes, I too am a fan of the 245 pickups. The SE treble/bass pickups? Not so much. The 245s are in my 245 and my Zach Myers with the SE treble/bass in my SE Singlecut. Doing some vigorous on/off switching ala RATM with the ZM, does have the switch acting funny. So I too agree with the needed switch upgrade if you plan to use it much. Keep in mind, I only did this about 15-20 times. Not talking over months. My Clint Lowery sig has a terrible looking nut. Holds tune though.

9. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

i have 3 SEs: torero, mushok, and se245.

I love all of them.. the pickups in the mushok were shit, so i replaced them with duncans and couldn't be happier.

my 245 was awesome out of the box. i did upgade the tuners to locking ones and installed a set of sheptone BK PAFs and... holy shit. The stock tuners and pups were actually decent - i only upgraded to locking tuners because i'm lazy ;).

i've heard that prs has another se series coming out that are made in indonesia. Don't know how these compare to the korean made models in terms of quality tho.

10. ah_graylensman

ah_graylensman SS.org Regular

I have 4 SEs: a Custom 24, two Custom 24-7s, and a Bernie Marsden. All have been tweaked to some degree -- I put 5-way super switches in the Cu24s, a phase reversal switch in the Bernie, gold hardware on one of the 7s, new pickups in the Bernie and one of the 7s, knobs, locking tuners, etc.. They're all good guitars, but my favorite is the amethyst 7 with gold hardware and BKP Emeralds, as it can literally do anything from jazz to country to classic rock to metal.

11. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

I have a 2 SE's, a SE245 and SE Custom 7 with no mods on either axe. By far the SE's are the best guitars that I've ever played!

12. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

I've had 3 SEs and they've all been great. Honestly, I wish I'd not parted with any of them.

I recently picked up a Custom 24 during the Black Friday sale at Sweetwater and it's also a really nice example. Every bit the equal of the PRS S2 I recently tried before purchasing the SE. Both are pretty close in feel to a bonafide Maryland-made Custom 24 though there is a perceptible difference in the quality of the woods / hardware between the SE/S2 and a standard Maryland PRS.

SE is the best value in the guitar world IMO.