PRS SE Owners: how do you feel about your guitar?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by guitaardvark, Dec 27, 2014.

1. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

So I'm GAS'ing a PRS super hard right now and am starting to save up. I had the chance to play one at a guitar center, and it felt normal but you can't really get an amazing feel for a guitar after 15 minutes of wanking around on an amp you don't like in a public place. Any things that bug you after a specific amount of time? I'm planning on changing the pups since I didn't love the stock, but I'd need to play it through my rig to get the full experience.

What do you love about it?

What do you hate?

Peace yo

2. InfestedRabite

InfestedRabite SS.org Regular

i play a PRS SE semihollow

one of my favourite guitars i've ever owned and played. kinda sad that my metal band went to 7s because i enjoyed it so much, need to find something to do with it and soon. however it's not perfect, so here's some of the problems i've had with mine:

- pickups not great for super super heavy stuff, but they are reasonably high output
    - scale length pretty short so you gotta ramp up the string gauge for downtuning (might not be an issue for you)
    - the fixed bridge on some of the models can barely adjust the intonation as there's no individual saddle adjustments - i had mine replaced with a tonepros and that's been really good,

3. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

One thing for me personally (and it was an SE) is that it was a painted neck and was a little too chunky for me (hard to access higher frets too)

But that has been some years ago. I too had the fixed bridge, but intonation wasn't a big thing. The tone was good. In fact, the person I sold it too STILL talks about how good it sounds. I did have the dreaded D string "clink" that happens on hardtail ibby's as well.

4. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Have 2 of them, SE Zach Myers semi hollow and a 2014 245, love them both, the quality of them is fantastic and they are far from "cheap" guitars.
    I changed out the hardware and electronics on them both, biggest thing you are going to want to do is get an adjustable bridge, tonepros do these, unless of course you pick up a model with an adjustable bridge or floating trem. Also get a decent setup done if you are not familiar with doing this yourself including having the nut cut properly. From factory the strings are pretty high up at the nut end....

5. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I bought an SE Cu24 from the Sweetwater Black Friday sale. I was able to choose the amount of figuring in mine, and I love the Sapphire, its alot brighter in person, closer to a cyan. I changed out the nut for a Graphtech Black Tusq and bought Jin-Ho (Korean factory that makes the tuners for Word Musical Instruments, they make PRS/Schecter, as well as those Kluson/Vanson tuners some people buy) locking tuners for it, and am going to steel wool the neck to satin tomorrow. Fit and finish wise, it was damn near flawless, more so than my KM-7 made in the same factory. I love the bevel top, I would definitely not buy a flattop (pre-2012) one. Idk, it's wierd that the guitar has such a vibe for me at such a low price but I would definitely buy another. I actually enjoy the neck alot despite the gloss, I've enjoyed the Ibby Wizard less and less, and the Schecter Thin C really only works for 7s - its definitely not flat, but still fast is what I'm trying to say. After that, I think my final mod would be to change the bridge pickup out for something nickel covered - covered because i enjoy the aesthetic, and because the bridge pickup is a little thin and harsh in the highs without being punchy enough in the mids and lows to really fill out a metal tone. That said, the vintage bass in the neck is great for cleans and leads and I think I'm going to cover that one myself and throw a covered Nazgul in the bridge :shred:

Edit: Sorry if I'm rambling, I always kinda feel like I am on these forums lol.

6. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

Had a SE Custom 22, I loved it but the bridge made this weird high pitched squealing noise when I would chug on the low 6th string. I had removed the springs & hardtailed it, also dampened the strings beyond the nut to the tuners.

I didn't care about the squeal at first because I loved the shape and look of it... After a couple months I couldn't stand the squeal anymore, especially with a metal tone. I decided to add the springs back, made it stock again then traded it away for my old Les Paul Goldtop back, which I love having back BTW since its my favorite guitar.

I don't know, after playing that model, it just ruined my PRS experience. Although I'm still considering one that doesn't have the tremolo bridge, but buying one with the tom bridge and tailpiece.

7. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

I used to own an SE Soapbar, cherry red single-cutaway with two P-90s. It was fantastic. Shouldn't have sold it really.

EDIT: Well if I hadn't sold it, I wouldn't have been able to afford my Flying V which is now my favourite guitar, every cloud etc.

8. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

Current SEs.....
    Gold top 245.
    25" scale Singlecut.
    Zach Myers.
    Clint Lowery.

I love my black Friday acquired 245. Put locking tuners on it and that's all I've been playing. Love my ZM and need to A/B it against the gold top. The CL is 25.5" and factory C#/drop B. Light weight and sounds great when riffing. Wish it had a little more clarity from the pups playing drop B power chords. The Singlecut is quality and plays great, just don't care for the pickups.

Previous SEs....
    Tremonti SE before. Thin, light, and played great. Just too bright for me.
    Fredrik Akkeson with bareknuckles (forgot which ones) too bright for me, but played great.

9. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

Interesting that you prefer an Epi over your Gibby. I thought I was a mutant for preferring my Epi LPC over the Gibby LPJ I tried out a few months ago. :lol: Good to know I'm not alone haha.

As for PRS SE's ....Still haven't tried one, they look like quality import axes, that's for sure.

10. skydizzle

skydizzle SS.org Regular

I have a couple Tremonti SEs and love them. Unfortunately, they took a back seat to my other Maryland PRS guitars. Maybe I should go play my SE now haha.

11. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Had a MM SE baritone for a while....only reason I offed it was due to GAS. Great guitar, nice fat neck, adjustable bridge, sounded great. Stock pickups sucked ass though. For what I got it for and what I put into it, I'd gladly own another. Great fun to play and track with.

I'd say for what you could upgrade em with on the used market it's completely worth it.

12. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I own an Allender model from the first year. I got mine not because I like Cradle so much as it was the nicest looking I could get at the time. The top is amazing for the level of guitar its supposed to be. The neck feels very comfortable, and easy to play. The guitar itself isnt too heavy,but its not my lightest guitar. It has a nice even sound. The pickups are good, I havent swapped em out yet. I still plan on it though. It came setup very nicely, and was able to play. I have changed out the tuners, for locking ones, but that was preference. I had to file the nut a bit, but nothing drastic. It still is one of my main players. It is one of the best guitars I have bought for the price point, and would not hesitate to buy another SE any day of the week.

13. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

I have one of the SE 7 strings, and I love mine. The pickups are a bit muddy when distorted and playing on the lower strings, but otherwise it's great

14. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

I have a PRS SE Akerfeldt and it is easily my favorite guitar after a few minor modifications to suit my style..

-Schaller M6 locking tuners

-DiMarzio Dominion pickups

-Black Tusq XL nut (stock nut is a plastic piece of.. crap..gah)

-and strap locks because Dillinger has been a bad influence on me =)

I've also swapped the volume knobs for ones you screw on with an allen key...

Future mods.... might have the guitar sent to Marty Bell to remove that decal and MAYBE change the color but the color is so damn perfect (I got the red one, not the brown). Once I do that it'll be the true Modern Eagle I've always wanted...

Mine stays in tune and sounds absolutely crushing with these modifications. I play hard and abuse the trem and it just takes it... I love it so much.

I'll post pics and stuff on Monday.. so many double shifts because of the holidays.. and GAS..

15. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Great guitars. Trem models need a nut replacement, but other than that they can't be beat for the money. Stock pickups are decent, but they do benefit from a swap. Also Schaller lockers are a direct fit. Not necessary but nice to have. My current SE is a 245 and it stays in tune perfectly with the stock nut and tuners. I did swap pickups and the stock knobs out.
    [​IMG]

16. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

Jammed a bunch more tonight. A/B'd my Zach vs my gold top 245. I don't hear much of a difference. I would have thought the semi hollow ZM would sound different. Regardless, I'm a fan of the SE 245 pickups. Both of those have them. Both play great too. The SE line is definitely one of those "great for the money" guitars. Great overall. And even better if you get them dirt cheap on sales.. I.E. Black Friday, guitar center clearance, things like that....

17. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I deliver furniture and appliances for a living. I go to random people's houses all the time. At least once every few months, I come across some great guitars and great amps.
    I delivered a bedroom suite to a guy in Nakusp, which is a 2+ hour drive away from Castlegar. My coworker and I brought everything in, then I noticed his Mesa Boogie Mark 1 amp and Gibson LPJ Les Paul, the neck was amazing and it was great to play! I'm considering getting one now.

Yeah I love my Epi Goldtop, but my Gibson Explorer is also pretty damn sweet. I always wanted an Explorer after watching Hetfield on many DVDs growing up. I had a LTD FX-260 with a kick ass spalted maple top on it, but the newer ESP/LTD explorer shape is totally different than the Gibson Explorer. So once I got my Gibson, I LOVED it!
    There's one guy in Castlegar who runs a sweet school of rock type thing, he always asks when he's getting the Gibby from me, but I keep declining every offer he makes lol

18. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

I've got my eyes honed on a Gibby Explorer myself.

I dunno about the LPJ I tried dude, I think it may have just been a badly setup example I played. Gonna give it another shot sometime as I really like their aesthetics (minus the black pickup covers lol)

19. guitarfan85

guitarfan85 Banned

I currently have two SE models. I have a cherry sunburst c22 stock hard tail. I have a white SE soap bar ii with a BKP pig90 bridge pickup and a tone pros bridge. Man the pig90 slays brutal tones!! I have a SD vintage p90 neck pickup and I don't like it very much. Its very thin and airy sounding.

I had it set up to play in low B tuning. Widened nut and all. However the higher strings struggle to stay in tune. I intonated the G string and soon after it went bad again. With fairly new strings as well. I may look into getting a new nut and locking tuners. But I love the look and feel of PRS guitars. I can only afford used SE models. But they came MINT

20. Rich5150

Rich5150 SS.org Regular

I own 2 SE's a Lowery and an SE One, I haven't played the SE One that much but the Lowery has seen constant play since I got it I did swap the pickups for an EMG Het Set.

Still trying to figure out what kind of P90 I'm going to put in the SE One