PRS SE Custom 24 7 - Opinions

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by nyxzz, Jan 16, 2015.

1. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Anyone who has played these, what are your opinions? There's a pretty good deal on one locally and I'm hungering for a 7 again. I have recently discovered I really like the smaller scale of a Les Paul so the 25" scale seems like a cool middle ground. My only concern really is if the low B is going to have issues intonating correctly due to the shorter scale. Every review I can find doesn't really delve into this very much so I thought I'd ask here.

Any input would be highly appreciated!

2. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

tuning issues? no, i didn't notice any with mine. it was a good guitar for the money. if you like round radius fretboards you're in luck ...if you like them flat like me ...and if you're spoiled by american made guitars then you might not be impressed. probably the best 7 for the money but if you can stretch or find a deal on a Jackson Broderick Pro i think it's a significantly better guitar. though the Jackson pro finish is not fancy. the lack of show on the finish is definitely made up for in quality.

these Custom 24 - 7's don't have a good reputation on here for nothing though!

3. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

The price is pretty cheap - not much more than what they sold for on Sweetwater during black friday, and it's essentially unplayed, so I think it is probably worth getting. Thanks for the input, much appreciated

4. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I love mine. No tuning or intonation issues, and honestly it feels like a 25.5 - the strings don't feel floppy at all. Get one, you won't regret it

5. ah_graylensman

ah_graylensman SS.org Regular

I have two, a bue one in B standard and an amethyst one in drop A. Neither has intonation or tuning issues. They're probably some of the easiest playing 7s you'll find, especially if you go back and forth to regular 6s a lot.

6. andyjanson

andyjanson SS.org Regular

I upped the low B to a .65 with 9's for the top 6 strings and it holds tune and intonates really well. The 24th fret on the B isn't bang on, but I've only ever set it up myself, and my skills in that department are pretty lacking to say the least. I swap between B standard and drop A and it slays. Go for it :yesway:

7. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I own two.
    1. Vintage sunburst modified with a Floyd Rose, Schaller locking tuners and SD pickups
    2. Royal Blue stock

Zero tuning or intonation issues. These guitars are simply phenomenal.

8. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Got to agree with Shannon on this one. I own one in Vintage Burst, and have a second one in Amethyst on the way.

Never had any tuning issues with the one I own. It's still completely stock, and it sounds great!

9. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

I have a Spalted Maple one (limited run for Thomann) in A and I love it! I have a 72 there but I'm thinking of switching to a 68. There aren't any intonation issues with the 72 but it takes some tweaking to get it out of boomy territory. I did switch the pups to Pegasus/Sentient and put in a Schaller Megaswitch P to get them sweet split coil tones :lol:

10. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Well guys, I ended picking up a virtually unplayed vintage sunburst model for about half of what they sell for new. The stock pickups are pretty lackluster, but other than that it's awesome! Really impressed by the fretwork. Intonation on each string was off from the factory but after about 30 minutes of setting things up it's good to go. Now to decide what pickups to put in it...Thanks everyone for the input!

11. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

I had one with a set of Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentients and still have another with ceramic Nailbombs. Both sound great!

12. Geetarguy

Geetarguy SS.org Regular

I own two. One is tuned down to G# with baritone strings on it and sounds amazing and the other is in A standard with i think 52-10. The short scale is an adjustment, not huge but you can tell. I exclusively played ibanez before so the necks are almost polar opposites. Very very nice guitar for 600-700 bucks.

13. shinksma

shinksma SS.org Regular

I have one. Set up with hybrid 10s: 64 heavy B string, 54 heavy E, etc, but normal 10, 17 etc for the thin ones. The 64 feels much tighter/better, IMHO, compared to the stock 59.

I keep mine tuned in Standard B, for now.

The other guitars I play are now mostly PRS, so having the same scale length or so is really nice (my other PRSi are a mix of 25" and 24.5" scales, except my baritone with 27.7").

I have never played any other brand 7-string (as far as I remember), so I have no comparisons to offer, just that it feels like what a PRS should feel like, but happens to have 7 strings.

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I don't own one, but I haven't had any issues with intonating my low B on my 25" scale Carvin FWIW

15. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

I have one in Vintage Sunburst tuned to B Standard/Drop A and I absolutely LOVE it!!! IMO, the Custom 24 7-String is the most comfortable 7-String that I've ever played!