PRS SE 7 -What kind of interest?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Riffer, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

Which specs?

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...a sentiment I fuckin' appreciate. :D

Honestly, I'm a trem guy, but I'd rather these came as hardtails. Two reasons - part of it is that part of the "PRS" thing for me IS a hardtail bridge, but also that if it comes to fruition and I buy one, it's a fuck of a lot easier to route a hardtail for a Floyd than it is to replace a Floyd with a hardtail. :D

If they sell well, maybe a subsequent trem version might make sense, but for now I think I'd prefer a fixed bridge, too. :yesway:

3. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

4. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Just this + 1 string is all thats necessary :shrug: And change the hardware a bit so it looks a bit more modern (different tone knobs, no pickup rings maybe?). Otherwise its all fine.

[​IMG]

5. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

Randy, those were the specs I was mentioning to my manager. Just to see what he would say and get the idea in his head. We've got more talking to do on this subject. With so many possibilities for different woods, electronics, measurements, colors and etc, we need to go over every detail and figure out what would suit the player the best and also the company.

6. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Very understandable. You're the expert, so I'm all about letting you do your magic. I was just saying that those seemed like some really hardcore (in a good way) specs, and I didn't know if they had any reservations about using that on the SE line. Like I said, you're the expert so whatever you think is best, I'm all about.

I've been GASing for an SE for a couple years now, so if this happens, I'll be one of the first in line almost regardless of specs (although a single cut would sweeten the deal. ;))

7. vampiregenocide

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

has this been posted on the PRS forum and the birds and moons forum...? What are THEIR respones like?

9. BlackMetalVenom

BlackMetalVenom Vallz und Veinaz

I searched the thread and no mention of an eight string.
    Not that I'd be able to afford one either way, but has anyone in the thread taken eights into consideration? :)

10. tian

tian SS.org Regular

^ One step at a time man...

And a SE7 does sound like an a good idea. Would be very interested if it was 25" scale.

11. Malacoda

Malacoda Fogdiver

This is exactly the issue. On one side of the spectrum, a 7 could be too "PRSish", where it would be like 25", set neck, original trem, which would annoy the metal guys, but on the other end of the spectrum, it could be too metal - 25.5"+, EMGs, neck-thru, OFR, which would alienate the PRS fanboys. I personally agree that somewhere in between is best - something like the specs Riffer posted, except set neck rather than neck-thru.

8s are completely out of the question. PRS is definitely not going to go for ERGs when we're having enough trouble deciding on the specs of a 7. Furthermore, it would HAVE to be in the 25.5"+ scale range which would immediately alienate tons of PRS supporters. And I just don't think an 8 string PRS would be a good guitar anyway, because 8s and PRSs are just so different (IN GENERAL, I know there are exceptions).

12. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

I will still buy a 25.5" scale, but would prefer 25" scale. I also strongly think that it should be a set neck, rather than neckthru. Being a neckthru would be a big deal breaker for me.

13. serazac25

serazac25 SS.org Regular

well IF it happens to be a SC 7, hope they consider the matte finishes hell they should consider making a production of that custom. with ebony and 25 scale :D

and back to the 7 , they should experiment with the scale length, like how good will it sound if its a 25" and if the guitar sounds fine if the thing is tune down a whole step A D G C F A D, then why not? but yeah safe choice is 25.5 and ebony fingerboard and 24 frets :agreed:

[​IMG]

14. vampiregenocide

^ I agree I think a matte finish would look nice either way. Something like this :

[​IMG]

But an 8 string isn't going to happen in the forseeable future. Though, Private STock is a whole nuther matter. I've seen them make some crazy shit, like a 12 string Warr guitar style PRS, though I can't find a picture of it. :( It seems like they're pretty open custom wise, they just don't get the sort of people who want ERG often.

15. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I don't care about SC or DC but please, make this +1 string :agreed:

16. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

I havent seen anything over there about a SE-7. Im not going to start a thread over there. Alot of the time I get a vibe over there like they dont want anybody messing with the PRS brand and "ruining" it with things like 7 strings, emgs, floyds. Hell, when the SE line came out there was a big uproar on how it was going to ruin the whole company on that site. And since SS.org is dedicated to 7 strings I figured why not ask here. Guitars are suppose to be played. I see too many guitars over at Birds and Moons that people just hang on their wall and dont ever play. I kind of want this guitar to be for the people by the people sort of thing.

17. 13point9

13point9 Now with Less Hair!

too true thats why i have a lot of mates who call PRS's "Doctor's" guitars, people just seem to buy them as they're expensive and look amazing...

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I agree that it's more a collector's atmosphere, having browsed there. I recall being told that fender cancelled it's deluxe players line that was made in corona (?) and assembled stateside, and it was on par with the MIA models - it was flying off the hangers and the MIA's weren't, so it was canned. No idea how true that story is though, weed-smoking high school teacher who probably partied hard before he was employed.. :lol: (still a great guitar player though!)

I figured it might be a good idea to ask on the PRS official site to see how they respond.

19. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

:eek: wow! at those last 2 pictures posted, +over 9000 to that!

20. Riffer

Riffer PRS SE Inspector

Well I just went over there, and someone started a thread and posted a link to this one so they could check it out. We'll see what they say. :yesway:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.